Child dies of untreated diabetes - should the parents be arrested?...

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
Kaytee said:
only 12% of the population has no religion, plus 1% that are athiest, so I don't see how you can say "so many" look down upon religion. Christianity while falling, is still the highest percentage religious group, but looking at all other religions, again only 12 percent are non believers.
I followed the link, and I don't buy those numbers at all. It seems more like an analysis of the Americas and European nations than the entire world. I know I've read otherwise. If I have time before my battery dies, I'll look it up...
Regardless, I think the trend here in the US is definately moving away from organized religion.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
budnkota said:
If you can refuse your child a transfusion or transplant for religious reasons, I would imagine that you could also refuse to seek medical care at all. I don't know how states would be able to say one thing is OK and not another... Either way, that is terribly sad.
(sorry - kind of a rambling post, couldn't organize my thoughts today)
You raise interesting questions. I'll try to reply with a toddler on my lap.

The ability of a parent to refuse life-saving transfusions for a minor child is very limited. The hospital can petition a court to intervene. The court will consider the child's, parents' and the State's interests in making a decision. The impact of the child's wishes are considered only after
an evaluation of the child's competency (which is a separate compentency standard than in many other situations). Some of the things the court will consider is prognosis with and without treatment, any possible adverse effects of the treatment, and the impact on the family. Given an analysis of all this and more, a court can order that the child be treated against the parents' wishes.

Can't type more - must wrestle with son. :p

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
I do believe in religeous freedom as long as no one is being hurt.

Firstly, how could a parent sit there and watch their child suffer to death. (literally)

Also, if the Bible is the defense here then one could argue "Spare the rod and spoil the child" for beating their child.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
HappyMomma said:
Also, if the Bible is the defense here then one could argue "Spare the rod and spoil the child" for beating their child.

They could, but it'd be taken out of context. This means discipline, not necessarily spanking.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Amber said:
They could, but it'd be taken out of context. This means discipline, not necessarily spanking.
I'm completely with you, but in this case I don't think that "god will take care of all" is meant as watch your child die a slow death either. I'm just saying there has to be a point where freedom ends and hurting others (especially our children) ends.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
HappyMomma said:
I'm completely with you, but in this case I don't think that "god will take care of all" is meant as watch your child die a slow death either. I'm just saying there has to be a point where freedom ends and hurting others (especially our children) ends.

I don't believe so, either. There's a reason God created minds for us to be able to advance in medical treatment.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I don't know if it was mentioned anywhere in this thread or in the article, but did the family have health insurance? Maybe that was an issue for them?

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
That's a really good debate topic!

Wouldn't this fall along the same logic as vaccines? What if a parent denied their kid a vaccine, and then the kid ended up coming down with the disease...should the parents be prosecuted?