Child trader...

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
Music-dad said:
I'm "anti-mosquitoe". Wanna join my cause?

Absofreakinlutely :)

I've also never heard of an anti-adoption movement. I'd have to say I'm against anti-adoption. I think adoption is a good thing.
I think it's a good thing too... But oftentimes it is not... I disagree strongly with the $. Take the $ out of adoption, everything would be a lot better. You just cannot turn people into commodities...

Did you know the adoption INDUSTRY, is a 4 BILLION dollar a year industry in the u.s.a.? There is no reason that should be IMO :)

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Mindy said:
I think it's a good thing too... But oftentimes it is not... I disagree strongly with the $. Take the $ out of adoption, everything would be a lot better. You just cannot turn people into commodities...

Did you know the adoption INDUSTRY, is a 4 BILLION dollar a year industry in the u.s.a.? There is no reason that should be IMO :)

I'm sure if a couple wants a white new born baby, it is a probably the hardest and most expensive to obtain.

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
Jtee, you wouldn't even believe me if I told you.

They will try and tell you that you are paying for "administration fees" and "paperwork" however, then please explain to me how it costs anywhere from $20,000-$40,000 for a shiny white infant... and yet you can get a "full black" baby for $5,000. I'm NOT trying to be trivial here... just trying to show how wrong it is...

Oh but wait, if you adopt a "biracial" child, they are half white, and therefore worth more... You can adopt a child like that for a price somewhere in the middle.

Agencies actually have what's called a "sliding scale" based on race! I kid you not.

What I can't believe is that adoption agencies are NOT accountable to the gov't! Since they are "non-profit" all agencies are different..., and don't even get me started on the difference between non-profit and not for profit.... they all have different rules and prices... IMO every state should be the same, and consistency is important ACROSS THE BOARD., for sake of ETHICS.

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
Sadly Rob, besides some $ to pay for homestudy and such, directly in the pocket's off the people who are the "adoption professionals"

And did you know that in the u.s. ANYONE can start an adoption agency?

These are just a fews reasons I won't completely dismiss the anti-adoption movement, because their name is misleading... they are more about REFORM.

Did you know (and sorry to be like this, I am so very passionate about this) that maternity homes still exist? Where you go to secretly have a baby and give that baby away, mostly girls are underaged, and they dont 'have to consent)

Did you know you can walk into an adoption agency and be 13 and GIVE YOUR BABY away and not tell your parents? You don't need their approval.

You cannot smoke.
You cannot drink.
You cannot vote.
You cannot drive.
You are a child whose brain is not completely developed and yet you can give your baby away :(

Rob, just as I finished posting that... I'm just sorry... I'm not trying to hurt you AT ALL. And I realize I very well could have with all this crazy info.

EDITED TO SAY I AM SPEAKINS STRICLY OF DOMESTIC INFANT ADOPTION IN THE U.S.A.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
I'm really out of area of expertise on this subject, and from what little info I've read, the price for a baby is significantly influenced by availablity. I would think a blond, blue eyed, baby would be very costly for a couple to adopted.

I'm am going to send Tau a email, maybe we can get her to come back to the forum and comment on this topic.

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
Everything I've spoken of, is just the tip of the iceberg really....

I encourage anyone who's interested to just do a few researches... See what you come up with...

I don't know who Tau is, bet she has some good info too :) Is she an international adoptee?

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Tau was a parent in this forum who was a segregate mother for couples who couldn't have children.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
When we thought we couldn't conceive, my husband and I looked at adoption in depth. One of my sisters is adopted. A close family member gave up a child for adoption when she was 20. Another considered adoption and decided instead on abortion.

For many people involved in adoption - potential/actual adoptive parents, adopted persons, and birth parents - it is a topic full of a lot of controversy and passion, the same as circumcision and vaccination. As such, I won't get into a debate about it unless it is in a debate thread. But I think there are several points here that could use clarification.

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
I suspect some of the money goes to taking care of the children not being adopted, no? If adoption were free kids would get into bad hands(this follows the same reasoning as to why you shouldnt give away a pet for "free.")

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
Skyburning said:
I suspect some of the money goes to taking care of the children not being adopted, no? If adoption were free kids would get into bad hands(this follows the same reasoning as to why you shouldnt give away a pet for "free.")
Taking care of what children not being adopted? I'm not talking about International adoption, but domestic infant adoption. There are no kids to be taken care of...

I completely disagree that if the $ weren't in it, kids would get into the wrong hands... completely... Doesn't it seem weird to you even typing "free kids" or correlating them to pets? I know you didn't mean that, but that's what I'm getting at.., doesn't it just seem wrong? Bio parents don't "pay" for their children, and I'm not saying the training would be any easier, much more intense actually, but I don't see how taking the $ out would get crazy people to adopt... They still have to go through all the same stuff... and I won't disagree, there have to be SOME costs obviously... but you will never convince me it costs $40,000 for a baby... and the mother doesn't even get anything, so where does all that $ go? To pay the staff... and to ADVERTISE. You wouldn't believe how much $ is spent on adoption advertising... Ever seen billboards that say stuff like "your baby deserves 2 parents" or "make the LOVING choice, adoption" I just think it's a sacred this, and it's being taken advantage of... OK i'll shut up now :)

Ari feel free to clarify anything if you want :) Totally fine with me.

Would you agree it would be better if not for the ridiculous costs? It would seem much less like baby selling to me. It would be a good start... That and making agencies accountable.

It shouldn't be $ that's the incentive. People need to know adoption is complex and most agencies don't give the proper training. Much research is required.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
Mindy said:
Ari feel free to clarify anything if you want :) Totally fine with me.
No, Mindy, I won't. This isn't a debate thread, and I believe this topic - when discussed in this manner - should be limited to the debate subforum. The need for this has brought up before. I find it similar to an anti-circ'ers posting their anti-circ believes throughout other non-debate threads. Those posts wouldn't be welcome outside the debate forums; IMO this is similar.

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
No problem :) I actually hadn't even noticed what forum this was posted in.

And I wasn't trying to debate either. My info can be verified... It is all true, not a matter of opinion. :)