Children that talk in their sleep...

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Our daughter (now 11) has talked in her sleep since that age of 3. It's always one side conversations, and sometimes very funny. When she was 3-4, she'd talk about to her toys, our cats, friends\family. As she's gotten older the subjects have changed as well.

Occationally she walked in her sleep too, which is even more interesting. She'll seem awake, but if we asked her what she's doing, she'll saying she's playing with her friends or something that clearly couldn't be happening.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I have no experience in this other then my friend walks in her sleep as well. As a child they would find her outside and things. Very scary for the parents. Everyone thought she outgrew it but just a few weeks ago, she went to her fishtank to feed or whatever and found one of her fish missing. She then went outside and found the fish net thing on the patio (2nd story). So she knows she must have gone outside in her sleep. the real scary part is she is a single mother of an 11 month old. So she could have easily had taken that baby out as well

rycar

Dec 28, 2007
utah
My daughter that is 7 she talks in her sleep but if she is overly tired she will sleep walk it is kinda weird because her eyes are open but she has a glazed look I had ask her doctor and he had said that it could be night terrors. It can sometimes be really scary.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
my daughter talks in her sleep, as do I. Sleep walking would scare the hell out of me though. I don't think I'd ever sleep if one of my kids was doing that.

rycar

Dec 28, 2007
utah
it's scary, my daughter will look at me like she is awake but she's not the first time it happened i started crying and my husband was trying to take care of her and calm me down, i have now learned that when she does this that if you try to wake her up she just starts crying so i talk to her and slowly she wakes up by herself and she can't remember i thing after it happens.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
We have never been too concerned about sleep walking, not any more than any parent would be about a child who gets up in the middle of the night. We would hear her talking, and my wife would get up and investigate. Generally after about 5 minutes our daughter would be back in bed.

She had not sleep walked for a long time until a few days ago, and about 2am we heard her talking and my wife got up and found our daughter walking around looking for our cat, she was upset saying that our cat had gotten lost and she need to find it. My wife took our daughter back to her room and showed her that our cat was sleeping at the foot of her bed. It took a couple of minutes for it register that our cat wasn't lost, then she went back to sleep.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
thats scary. Anyone tha tis sleep walking can hurt them selves while doing it. If only there was a way to stop it.

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
Josephine talks in her sleep. It's always absurd. My brother Chris does it as well. He yelled out "I wanna sleep next to the ice." once when we were kids.

aliinnc

PF Fanatic
Jan 10, 2008
Raleigh NC
My son walks and talks in his sleep. It can be very scary. I worry most about it when he stays with friends because he usually looks for me. I always ask the other parents to bolt the doors when he sleeps over.

One of his friends asked what to do if he started sleepwalking. I thought that was a great question.

Be glad it's your daughter because boys often try to pee in inappropriate places like plants or closets.

captainmal2

Sep 19, 2007
Louisville, KY
My son used to walk in his sleep and use the bathroom! One time we were staying at a hotel and I heard someone open the door to the room. I looked outside, and there was my son peeing on the wall in the hallway! This is just one of many such incidents. This continued on into his preteens.:arghh:

~Malcolm~
E.sakazakii Attorney</SIZE>[/URL]

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
My 8 year old walks and talks in her sleep. I just tell her to go back to bed and she goes back to bed. When she wakes up in the morning she has no idea that she walked all the way down stairs. We put a chain lock high up on the doors so that she can't reach them, she can't get out that way. I got the idea from my parents. My brother sleepwalked. A funny story about him...
One night he got in the cabinet in the kitchen and took out a glass, started to pee in it. My dad walked in and asked him what he was doing. He said going to the bathroom. I don't know how my dad got him to wake up though.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Ive heard about giving children food because they sleep harder on a full stomach.
Here is a site that may help. http://www.sleepeducation.com/Disorder.aspx?id=16
I hope it helps some.
I have actually woke myself up talking. I hate it. I've heard my children do it too.
It would scare me if they slept walked. But you know what I would do? I would put a locking baby gate mid level (chest level) in my teens doorway so they would be stopped and would have no where to go. If that doesn't work then stack baby gates in the doorway like three on top of each other and block the whole door.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
captainmal2 said:
My son used to walk in his sleep and use the bathroom! One time we were staying at a hotel and I heard someone open the door to the room. I looked outside, and there was my son peeing on the wall in the hallway! This is just one of many such incidents. This continued on into his preteens.:arghh:

~Malcolm~
E.sakazakii Attorney</SIZE>[/URL]
OMG that would be soooo funny ans sucky all at the same time!!

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
My friends hubby talks in his sleep and one morning out of nowhere he said, "Not now I need to present this to the knight's council." For some reason this struck us as so funny.

TAR

PF Fanatic
May 30, 2007
NM
like rycar's daughter, my younger sister used to do that but she wouldn't walk just sit up in bed (we shared a room as kids till we were teenagers) and her eyes would be open (hazzy looking) but she was asleep and she would look stright at me and do a little giggle... It was soooooo freaky... Funny now, but I hated it my mom and i used to tell her "lay down go back to bed" she would. Oh a funny thing she did in her sleep one night when we were younger she tried to paint her nails with purple nail polish in her sleep, she had nail polish all over the bed and her fingers she didn't know how it got there in the morning.

DivineInsanity

Jan 25, 2008
My hubby talks all the time in his sleep, sometimes his eyes will be open and I will think he is awake. A few weeks ago he sat up in the middle of the night and told me it was going to cost 34,000 dollars to run the hose I needed across the room. I said ok honey go back to sleep now. The next morning I told him I didn't have that kind of cash and he looked at me like I was crazy. He also chatters like a squirrel occasionally. Straaange!

I used to sleep walk all the time as a child, my mom said I used to come downstairs, and she'd tell me to go back to sleep and I would.