Children's Activity Levels...

NicolaOS

Feb 9, 2016
I am putting together a study on activity levels of children, the recommended levels of physical activity, access to technology and activity trackers. I am doing this as I have seen the increasing growing trend of children who become overweight due to lack of physical activity.

I would really love to get parents involved and get your opinions. If you are interested in taking my survey (http://goo.gl/forms/6mBQfCYbcx) I would greatly appreciate that and I can also keep you updated on my results and findings. I am hoping to get responses from American, European and Irish parents and be able to compare the findings.

Also if anyone has any comments or thoughts they would like to share and open up conversation.

Cheers,
Nicola.

page16

PF Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2014
Welcome to the forum, Nicola. That's a pretty cool survey. It's funny, I was thinking a survey like that wouldn't have made sense 30 years ago. Oh boy we have evolved!

NicolaOS

Feb 9, 2016
Thank you very much! Yeah, it's kind of crazy now that so many children aren't reaching their recommended levels of physical activity and one of the causes is increased access to technology.

Marlene

Feb 12, 2016
RC
NicolaOS said:
Thank you very much! Yeah, it's kind of crazy now that so many children aren't reaching their recommended levels of physical activity and one of the causes is increased access to technology.
I totally agree on the technology part. It's crazy how time flies when the'yre using the iPad or their PS Vitas. Though it's difficult, I personally force my kids to go to the park and play with friends during days when there is no game or PE. I see a big difference when they consume all their physical energy. I once bought a trampoline for gloomy and rainy days so they can burn their energy and make sure they get their exercise!

babybibsplus

PF Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2016
I work in a poor school district and I think that there is to much emphasis on technology. We need to go back to the way it used to be and use books and paper and pens. A lot of children do not have access to the internet at home and therefore fall behind in class due to almost everything being done on the computers. This is not fair to those students.

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
babybibsplus said:
I work in a poor school district and I think that there is to much emphasis on technology. We need to go back to the way it used to be and use books and paper and pens. A lot of children do not have access to the internet at home and therefore fall behind in class due to almost everything being done on the computers. This is not fair to those students.
As someone who went to school when the internet became main stream and a necessity for school projects, I can say that being limited in tech did nothing for me.
By the time I had to start typing up resumes, job searching and apartment searching. Much of it was done online and I didn't have a clue what to do. To this day I struggle with using the internet for much things and I still don't get gigabytes and what other kinds of computer stuff are.

However, that's why schools, libraries and other resource centres have computers with wifi and printers and everything. It's so disadvantaged kids can have an opportunity to keep up.

Sure, teach kids to read and write on paper. It's good to have balance. But it's just a type of medium. It doesn't matter the tool. It's what you learn.