Children's songs...

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
odd topic to me because i'm hearing-impaired. i do hear something anyway... but there's this thing... children's songs, do you teach your kids to sing? Do you picksongs for them to learn?
with Marvin Luke, i never minded... he learned songs at school or in church.

now... we've been listening to Eurovision, as well as some previous years songs... came across this one...
and Wiliam Roy picked it up so well, so it's "impossible"... whole evening he was hi-hi-ho an hi-hi-hey after this one
<YOUTUBE id="5OFk15TmPzw" url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OFk15TmPzw">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OFk15TmPzw</YOUTUBE>

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I've never really taught them to sing, I'll sing with them and I think they do pick up songs everywhere, TV shows, commercials, school/daycare, church, the radio. It is odd how particular things my strike and stick with a particular kid though. If you knew the magic formaula you could be rich.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
I use to sing to Max at night after we read a story. Yeah I sang all kinds of songs I knew from my childhood, and I also made some up as I went along usually about a topic I knew he liked.

I miss that.

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
i sing with mine all the time, i work in child care so it is taught to me that singing is a very effecting form of teaching. it teaches counting, maths. the alphabet. and most importantly helps them learn to speak english without realizing they are learning..

i love the song "1 little finger" it teaches counting to 5
i love the song "5 cheeky monkeys" i do this in sign language
i love most songs by the wiggles
i love open shut them
the list goes on LOL i am pretty opinionated about this particular topic

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
I had been living abroad for many years, away from any children in my family and away from English-language TV and radio when my daughter was born, so when I started to sing her lullibies, I couldn't remember any accept Rock-A-Bye Baby, which is sort of an unhappy song to sing to a child, but I sang it anyway. I also sang, You are My Sunshine. I know this is typically sung to children around the world, but it is also my state's song (made famous by a former governor of my state, Jimmy Davis,) so in my search for other songs to sing, my mind ran to my country's songs as well, God Bless America, America the Beautiful, and the national anthem.

Eventually I remembered, Row Your Boat, Mary Had a Little Lamb, Someone's in the Kitchen with Dinah, Oh Susannah, and the horrid but somehow compelling, O Clementine.

As she got older I sang The Wheels on the Bus, Hunk-of-Tin, This Old Man, The Ants go Marching, and another song from my state that I grew up singing, Iko Iko, now made famous by the Dixie Chicks.

When she finally started going to daycare, and when we moved home and she could watch Nick Jr, she learned other songs.

This weekend, regrettably, my nephew taught her some horrible song that includes a line about bar-b-queing someone's head. He's 8 so he's into all those silly and crass songs.

yeojungi

PF Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2011
Dallas
I taught DD to sing when younger, probably even before she talked? She also learned to sing at daycare. Her teacher of two years (between 1 year till 2 yrs old) said she wasn't very good at arts that she was spending most of the time teaching songs and ABCs and numbers! LoL (I loved her candidness). Honestly, I made efforts to learn those songs myself and sang them with her because it was one way of me learning American culture.

I also taught DD to sing songs in my native tongue. That's a good way of learning a language.

Unfortunately, my DD isn't singing as often since 1st grade. She would if I ask her, but I don't catch her singing very often. Is it developmental?

Benjamin Marsh

May 21, 2011
Cary, NC
We have a night time ritual of:

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
I Love You (the Barney song)
Jesus Loves Me
Mary Had a Little Lamb

and sometimes others! I love hearing my girl sing on her own when she is playing.

Synowiec

Jun 11, 2011
They Might Be Giants a have children's album that my wife and I enjoy along with our daughter