Chloe's teacher ha ha...

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Well I had sent a letter to the local channel 10 recommending Lori for the Golden Apple Award. I was out of town but she was one of five out of 88 who won. The had a big assembly at school (I was at work in Chi and missed it) that everyone attended. Her and her husband were in tears (turnabout is fair play) as they were surprised by the event which will be on local TV next week.

This was my letter of recommendation.

Everyone secretly wants to be a hero. The problem is that life doesn't offer many opportunities. People sometimes fail to see them in time, or make the most of them when presented with one. Lori is <U>not</U> one of those people.

Lori Brewer is both the hero of my daughter Chloe, and our family. Lori has chosen what many may consider one of the most challenging professions. A special needs teacher. As the parent of a 9 yr old Autistic daughter . Its hard imagine not being blinded by the propaganda of special needs children. Its hard to imagine a person who would see the issues special needs present. As challenge rather than a problem. And a challenge that not only are they willing to accept. But one they seek out. Its truly like the person who enters a burning house to save a soul, Or anyone else who would put themselves directly in the path of hardship, in service of others. A rarely seen, selfless act.

It should be mentioned that this of course facilitated by what appears to be a school that empowers teachers to achieve . Bravo Hawthorn Elementary School. And It would be an obvious mistake on my part not mentioning Chloe's Pre and K special need teacher Ms Navonne Sandbelt. She played no small role in laying the foundation of things to come for my Daughter. And last but not least are the aids that Lori has surrounded herself with. A small group. A group I believe is working to fulfill a calling, rather than a job. Ms Vickie (Radel) has become a household word for us. Some of the highest caliber people I have ever met. Really if I could recommend them all. I would.

Lori not only teaches the class. She has become a leader in "Team Chloe". A reliable advocate. She researches Autism and forwards anything she believes may be pertinent or of interest to us. Proactive should have Lori's picture in the WIKI definition. She seems driven by the need to "do right" rather than "be right". Which as a parent of a special needs child is so refreshing its beyond words. A safe port in the storm.

Her shy demeanor is belied by her fierce loyalty, her dedication to the children, and parents of her class. A calm assertive energy which works so well for her. She has taken the time not only to inform me of classes, conventions specific to our needs. But to help facilitate such events with me by way of contacts links and what I should expect. I have actually been able to audit classes that are specifically for special needs teachers. Lori is on a endless search, a quest for whats is new and useful. This determined spirit is not restricted to only our daughter, but involves her entire class.

Lori calls to tell us "Chloe had a hard time in school today", "Was stung in the shoulder by a bee today", "told a short story today." Lori tells us when she is not eating well, When she has been coughing during the day. Even when the information is bad news. The empathy in her voice is like a pat on the back reassuring us Lori is invaluable to parents stumbling through the maze of therapies with feed back on whether our nutrient supplement change on a given date seemed effective. If she has seen value in the music therapy. Or how she feels and what she has heard about the plethora of new things around each corner. At first we communicated daily with Lori. Who always takes the time to talk or listen. That's correct Listen. We still have this kind of relationship, but the need is a less. Maybe once or twice a week. We share what works at home. She shares what works at school. Together we develop strategies that have made managing behavior issues less of a burden and very consistent between school and home.

Its hard to articulate. But there is a certain feeling you get as you see someone providing comfort, true comfort. Someone who can gently take my daughters hand, kneel down, arm across her shoulder, with a whisper in her ear. And make her believe (make you believe). It is going to be OK. Its a core feeling. A feeling that starts in your eyes, travels to your brain delivering a warmth throughout your entire self like a familiar blanket.

When Chloe is at school. We have the same comfortable feeling we have when she is with family. And that,,,,,,, means a lot.

Lori is Chloe's hero.

We would love to see Lori recognized and become the role model for special needs teachers to come.

Sincerely
Chloe's Family

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
That letter is so sweet. And you are seriously awesome. I'm so glad she won. :)

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Awe such a beautiful letter! I really hope she wins!

Ted had a teacher, regular ed teacher, that he adored. It was one of the few teachers he would talk to. This teacher made his class in a way that Ted enjoyed it and if the teacher new it would be of no interest to him he found an alternate way to reach him...usually using manga, who knew some of them could be educational?

The sad part...he got arrested for a dui, not just the DUI but running and I believe trying to hit the officer. The school let him finish out the year because you are innocent until proven guilty, but I had such mixed emotions.