cold and cough relief...

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
with the cold season upon us, and the recent studies showing the dangers of children's cold and cough meds, I figured I would start this thread. Post here with all your tried and true home remedies for those stuffy, coughy, snotty kiddos :)

XOMLE30

PF Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2007
Toledo, ohio THe armpit of the world!
Try putting Vicks vapor rub on their feet and then put socks on right before bed, you can still put it on their chest too. It is like a miracle. No all night coughing, a good night sleep for everyone. I do this when I am sick too.

NinJaBob

PF Addict
Sep 29, 2008
Ohio
XOMLE30 said:
Try putting Vicks vapor rub on their feet and then put socks on right before bed, you can still put it on their chest too. It is like a miracle. No all night coughing, a good night sleep for everyone. I do this when I am sick too.
Plus your feet will smell minty fresh.....bonus :)

I got nothing. I should get my grandma on here. She's from the hills of Kentucky. She used to do all kinds of crazy stuff to me when I was little. I can't remember what though. I'll ask her when I see her this weekend and check in on Monday.

XOMLE30

PF Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2007
Toledo, ohio THe armpit of the world!
I am not sure of the science behind it. It has something to do with the heat the vicks creates causes blood to rush to the feet , therefore increasing circulation, hence easing congestion. ( i actually googled it to find some kind of answer for you )

Here is a quick example, the kids are staying with my mom again (hubby is not doing well) and my 3yo son has quite the head cold. Everynight before bed she does this, no coughing all night. Last night she did not, she listened to him cough for about 1/2 an hour befor she got up and put it on. Not another cough for the rest of the night.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Dadu2004 said:
On their feet? I believe you that it works, but I don't understand. Maybe you can tell me why that's beneficial.
also because they can't rub it off and they still benefit from the vapors. It's especially helpful with very young kids and babies who may rub it then rub their eyes or put their hands in their mouth

NinJaBob

PF Addict
Sep 29, 2008
Ohio
fallon said:
also because they can't rub it off and they still benefit from the vapors. It's especially helpful with very young kids and babies who may rub it then rub their eyes or put their hands in their mouth
Good Point! Never thought of that.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
XOMLE30 said:
I am not sure of the science behind it. It has something to do with the heat the vicks creates causes blood to rush to the feet , therefore increasing circulation, hence easing congestion. ( i actually googled it to find some kind of answer for you )

Here is a quick example, the kids are staying with my mom again (hubby is not doing well) and my 3yo son has quite the head cold. Everynight before bed she does this, no coughing all night. Last night she did not, she listened to him cough for about 1/2 an hour befor she got up and put it on. Not another cough for the rest of the night.
Nice, I'll definately try it out!

LiveLaughLove

Oct 27, 2008
<r>Recently I tried this new product called Throat Coolers. They are these non-medicated freezer pops that contain Vitamin C and Honey. <br/>
<br/>
My kids get colds quite often after November but even more so right now I am dealing with the Fall (seasonal) allergies that are affecting them. <br/>
<br/>
Needless to say, they always get sore or scratchy or irritated throats it seems whether it be a cold or allergies. So I'm always googling to find new forms of relief for them. Especially forms of non-medicated relief. I found a coupon for this product so I figured I would try it out and it turns out it worked quite well by putting the kids at ease. <E>:)</E> <br/>
<br/>
Here's where I found the info about this new product <URL url="http://www.throatcooler.com"><s></s>Throat Cooler – Vitamin C & Honey Supplement Ice<e></e></URL> (and where I got the Buy One Get One Free coupon) <E>:D</E> <br/>
<br/>
I hope this helps somebody!</r>

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Lol well I never believed it, but my mom swears on everything that putting onions in a kid's socks will get rid of a fever. I think she's crazy, but she swears it gets rid of my sister's fevers every time. (I would never let her do it to me). I just thought I would share in the humor of it. :D

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
meow_173 said:
For Luke, i love using the J&J Vapour Bath. For me, neocitron and rest lol.
Oh I love the vapor bath!!! It makes my kiddos so relaxed and sleepy when they're stuffy :) I still use it for Debra lyn when she's not feeling well. I steam the bathroom up pretty good and let the kids soak in a warm bath with the vapor bubble bath

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I totally use the johnsons vapor bath too. :D It really does let off some awesome vapors.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I'm not recomending it but my mom used a spoon of wiskey and honey. All I know was it put me to sleep.

You all are giving some good ideas that I will defintly try. My Daughter is Autistic and does not take medicine well at all. I am hoping to try out that vicks vaper bath and the foot thing this year thanks and keep them coming.

Bryan

abbey.barclay

Banned
Jul 9, 2009
Cut ginger into 2 half pieces and boil with a cup of water. Give 8-10 boils. Strain, sweeten with 1/ <I>2 </I>teaspoon sugar and drink hot.I hope, it will be beneficial.

ellen21

PF Regular
Jul 15, 2009
hi i know cold is really very common among kiddos but we can do things like boost immunity by breastfeeding the baby , </SIZE>[/FONT]<FONT font="arial,helvetica">[FONT=arial,helvetica]<SIZE size="100">and ask for hand wash
</SIZE>[/FONT]