Color!...

XxAkikazexX

Apr 10, 2013
Chicago
Moms, Dads, Parents! Lend me your color wheel!

What is the deal with toddlers and colors? I can tell my daughter that "this shirt is blue" and she will repeat blue, but in two seconds when I ask, say yellow. She only knows pink as a constant. I don't think she is color blind, even though my father is, so there is genetics.

What age did your kids final nail colors?

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
I think my oldest daughter got them when she was 1, but I couldn't pinpoint the month. My son got them when he was 3. My daughter who just turned 2 still does not know them.

Color blindness is usually the inability to differentiate red and green. It's not like they just see the world in black and white. If she knows her numbers, you can google a color blindness chart and ask her what number she sees in the circle. If she doesn't know her numbers, then she probably doesn't know her colors for the same reason: she's just too young!

XxAkikazexX

Apr 10, 2013
Chicago
She knows her numbers, so that is a fantastic idea! My dad is red/green colorblind, and she sees in the dark so I know isn't complete.

I just needed some reassurance. I will try the numbers in the circle deal. :D

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Just like anything else with kids...they get it when they get it. My 3 year old still gets some colors mixed up. My oldest son is color blind and we didn't realize it till the eye doctor pointed it out. His 'purple' is our blue, and our blue is his 'purple'. Then the traditional red/green issue, but it wasn't jump out at you obvious.

JakeW

PF Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2013
From experience, even us as adults, we get colors mixed up on occasion. There's so many variations of red, green, blue yellow that (I'm not saying it's the case) but each person sees a different perspective of colors. Some see more green in yellow and even brown in pink.

Here is a famous video on the internet that explains what I said further.
<YOUTUBE id="evQsOFQju08" url="evQsOFQju08">[youtube]evQsOFQju08[/youtube]</YOUTUBE>

XxAkikazexX

Apr 10, 2013
Chicago
Oh man, I have seen that video and having done philosophy in college, nearly lost my mind over it. Thanks for all the great advice, I guess we just gotta keep trucking forward. I was never going to be sad or whatever if she was, I just wanted to know so I can stop being all "no SWEETIE". I should just do that right meow!

Flowers

PF Regular
Mar 21, 2013
I am grateful about all your contributions, I was getting worried about mine who is two and she still can't differentiate colors.