Comments/Concerns on the Posting Guidelines for ParentingForums.org...

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Oooooooouuuuuuuuuu then you better quit posting those cartoons. I'll miss them :(

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I agree with about 95% of these. A lot of it is just common sense and common curtosity.
However, #9, although i do agree that one shouldn't post negative things directly at someone, if someone has an issue with something i think they have the right to post it on a thread somewhere. Things like this need to be in the <I>open</I> so that <I><U>everyone</U></I> knows what the issues are, even if they are with mods. It just seems pointless to post to the mods if the problem is WITH a mod. I personally would feel more comfortable having a thread that is always up (lieka sticky one?) that we can post concerns or comments.

Other then that, and the rep one...i'm not sure how you can abuse the rep system,
but other than that, i think the rules are straight forward

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
meow_173 said:
7. No Misuse of the Reputation system. When giving out reputation it must be for justified reasons. There are many ways the rep system can be misused to cause problems for the forum and we shall not publicly discuss how it has been misused in the past.
Sometimes I give people good rep just because. Is that okay?

Another question, do the same rules apply to moderators?

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Lissa said:
Sometimes I give people good rep just because. Is that okay?

Another question, do the same rules apply to moderators?
yes and yes

you can give good rep just to give it if you would like.

The posting rules apply to anyone posting in open threads, Mods are included in this when they are posting in threads

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I think the rep system should be used the way we feel. If we disagree with a moderator or another poster we should be allowed to hand out bad rep. It is not a serious thing and doesn't hold any true value. If we disagree with a moderator and hand out bad rep, we get banned. If we give bad rep to a poster because we disagree we get a warning. So in other words you are saying ONLY hand out good rep?

#9 is strange and sounds personal. I've never seen anyone "attack" a moderator. Again, we are not allowed to talk about or joke (even friendly) about jtee right? Because Kaytee seems sweet and is a good moderator and Fallon is friendly and stern. They do not take things personally. If we ask a question about a mod, we are told that we might need to leave the forum. I just don't get it.
I agree we should be able to publicly voice our concerns (if we have any)
I don't have a problem with any of the mods. I just let it roll off like rain ex. ;)

I think when we disagree or voice our opinions the moderators should respect that we sometimes think differently. As long as we are not swearing and being respectful we should be able to disagree.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
meow_173 said:
However, #9, although i do agree that one shouldn't post negative things directly at someone, if someone has an issue with something i think they have the right to post it on a thread somewhere. Things like this need to be in the <I>open</I> so that <I><U>everyone</U></I> knows what the issues are, even if they are with mods. It just seems pointless to post to the mods if the problem is WITH a mod. I personally would feel more comfortable having a thread that is always up (lieka sticky one?) that we can post concerns or comments.
I think something like a mediation forum would be a great idea for this. I will see what I can come up with when I get back and maybe we could put something like that into the works

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
fallon said:
I think something like a mediation forum would be a great idea for this. I will see what I can come up with when I get back and maybe we could put something like that into the works
That would be cool with the stipulation that we do not get banned because we disagree!

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
musicmom said:
I think the rep system should be used the way we feel. If we disagree with a moderator or another poster we should be allowed to hand out bad rep. It is not a serious thing and doesn't hold any true value. If we disagree with a moderator and hand out bad rep, we get banned. If we give bad rep to a poster because we disagree we get a warning. So in other words you are saying ONLY hand out good rep?
Nope... we're saying before you hand out rep make sure it's truly what you feel you should do. Don't bad rep new members just to be able to good rep someone you like (not saying you do this but it's very clear that some do)

#9 is strange and sounds personal. I've never seen anyone "attack" a moderator. Again, we are not allowed to talk about or joke (even friendly) about jtee right? Because Kaytee seems sweet and is a good moderator and Fallon is friendly and stern. They do not take things personally. If we ask a question about a mod, we are told that we might need to leave the forum. I just don't get it.
I agree we should be able to publicly voice our concerns (if we have any)
I don't have a problem with any of the mods. I just let it roll off like rain ex. ;)

I think when we disagree or voice our opinions the moderators should respect that we sometimes think differently. As long as we are not swearing and being respectful we should be able to disagree.
you can...as long as it's respectful and done in an adult manner. I welcome any concerns or question and if you feel you want to voice something publicly do it in the forum stuff section...even if you have to pull a quote from another thread, just open a new one here with your concerns and someone will answer you

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
musicmom said:
That would be cool with the stipulation that we do not get banned because we disagree!
they way I have seen it done on other forums is it would be a place where mods and members could discuss an issue as a way to reslove it before a ban becomes needed

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Let me just say that in previous experience with forums as a member, moderator and admin, there was always a feedback section for members. If they didn't like something, they were allowed to publicly make their grievances, which I think is a great thing as long as there is no personal attacks. Open communication among members is always the best route.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Lissa said:
Let me just say that in previous experience with forums as a member, moderator and admin, there was always a feedback section for members. If they didn't like something, they were allowed to publicly make their grievances, which I think is a great thing as long as there is no personal attacks. Open communication among members is always the best route.
I agree there should be...like I said the forum stuff section is here for that and it say "opinions and feedback welcome" feel free to address any concerns there as long as it's done in a respectful way

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I didn't know you could bad rep someone to hand out good rep to someone. You just told me a loop hole ;)

I've only handed out a few bad reps that I know of and ironically it was the same poster but with multiple names.
Thanks Fal lal lon
mwahhhhhhh

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I just wanted to add that for #9 we are not saying you cannot disagree with a mod. Of course you can disagree with a mod. We are saying you cannot badmouth a mod. You can not go around saying rude comments to them just because you don't agree with an action taking by them. Hope that helps

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Kaytee said:
I just wanted to add that for #9 we are not saying you cannot disagree with a mod. Of course you can disagree with a mod. We are saying you cannot badmouth a mod. You can not go around saying rude comments to them just because you don't agree with an action taking by them. Hope that helps
Can we bad mouth in pm's?????? Pretty please:wubclub:

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
musicmom said:
Can we bad mouth in pm's?????? Pretty please:wubclub:
you can say what you want in PM's as long as you aren't send out harrassing PM's to people :) But if you want to PM lissa and call me a bitch more power to you...lol

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;7. No Misuse of the Reputation system. When giving out reputation it must be for justified reasons. There are many ways the rep system can be misused to cause problems for the forum and we shall not publicly discuss how it has been misused in the past.

This is the dumbest thing ever.

"Justified reasons"

Give me a break. I get rep all the time, even from mods, and there is not always "justification". It's just fun. We all use it for fun. Without bad rep, one cannot appreciate the joys of good rep!

I can't believe mature adults get so butt hurt over "bad rep." lol

BTW - it's also corny that you Mods will go peek at our rep!

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
of course you get rep from mods. The point of the rep system is not to get your frustrations out for the day. And you would be amazed how many pms we get from members because they were given bad rep.