Company Quarter English------need native English speaker's help...

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
I am Chinese. Work in as US company in Shanghai. To help my workmates and myself improve our English, I arranged a training project named Quarter English in our company during lunch break.

Basically, I prepare a topic in advance for the team, then we garther together to chat/practice our English on the topic.

But due to my English is poor, I worry there are mistakes/errors in the topic material i prepared. So i wonder if any friend here could do me a favor to help me review the topic.

Thanks in advance!:)

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
[FONT=宋体]Topic 1 Why we need to improve our English?[/FONT]

[FONT=宋体]l[FONT=宋体]To better serve company?[/FONT][/COLOR]
l[FONT=宋体]Yes! It’s one of the most important reasons. [/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[FONT=宋体]lAny other reasons? [/B][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
l[FONT=宋体]Let’s chat about these this noon.[/FONT][/COLOR]

l[FONT=宋体]For current work—serve company better [/FONT]
l[FONT=宋体]To improve personal market value—get better payment in company[/FONT][FONT=宋体]; get more chances to develop your career in company; [/FONT][FONT=宋体]grow up with company, …….. [/FONT]
l[FONT=宋体]To give our children a hand on their English learning. [/FONT]
l[FONT=宋体]To organize/arrange family self-service travel abroad [/FONT]
l[FONT=宋体]Other? [/FONT]
l[FONT=宋体]Are these important? [/FONT]

[/FONT]

[/FONT]

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
[FONT=宋体]English efficiently?[/FONT]

l[FONT=宋体]To improve our English efficiently, we need: [/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[FONT=宋体]l[FONT=宋体]Professional teacher? [/FONT][/COLOR]
l[FONT=宋体]Professional textbook? [/FONT][/COLOR]

l[FONT=宋体]Anything else? [/FONT][/COLOR]
[FONT=宋体]. [/FONT][/COLOR]
l[FONT=宋体]Which one is the key part? [/FONT][/COLOR]
l[FONT=宋体]Let’s find them out this noon. [/FONT][/COLOR]

l[FONT=宋体]Forget our face, open our mouth. [/FONT]
l[FONT=宋体]Keep practicing day by day [/FONT]
l[FONT=宋体]Don’t worry about making mistakes. [/FONT]

[/FONT]

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
[FONT=宋体]Topic 3: The first step is the hardest[/FONT]

l[FONT=宋体]The 1[/FONT][FONT=宋体]st[/FONT][FONT=宋体] step is the hardest. Then shall we just give up? [/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=宋体]
l[FONT=宋体]What shall we do? [/FONT][/COLOR]
l[FONT=宋体]Ask ourselves: [/FONT][/COLOR]
l[FONT=宋体]Is it really important to me? If yes, go ahead! [/FONT][/COLOR]
l[FONT=宋体]I believe we will overcome all kinds of difficulties as [/FONT][FONT=宋体]long as we hold determination. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[/FONT]

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
[FONT=宋体] holiday?[/FONT]

l[FONT=宋体]Most of the time, before starting the meeting formally, people [/FONT][FONT=宋体]like chatting for a while, such as, talk about weather, recent [/FONT][FONT=宋体]holidays, latest news etc. [/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=宋体]
l[FONT=宋体]May 1[/FONT][FONT=宋体]st[/FONT][FONT=宋体] holiday is coming, let’s talk about it this week. [/FONT][/COLOR]
l[FONT=宋体]Where have you been last May 1[/FONT][FONT=宋体]st[/FONT][FONT=宋体] holiday? [/FONT][/COLOR]
l[FONT=宋体]I have been to Suzhou last May 1[/FONT][FONT=宋体]st[/FONT][FONT=宋体] holiday. It was a very nice [/FONT][FONT=宋体]trip. [/FONT][/COLOR]
l[FONT=宋体]I went to Hangzhou last May 1[/FONT][FONT=宋体]st[/FONT][FONT=宋体] holiday. West lake is amazing, [/FONT][FONT=宋体]I want to go there again. [/FONT][/COLOR]
……[FONT=宋体]. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[/FONT]

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009

[FONT=宋体]l[FONT=宋体]We are going to Congming island because we have never [/FONT][FONT=宋体]been there. [/FONT]
l[FONT=宋体]We are going to Jiuzaigou to enjoy beautiful valley views. [/FONT]
l[FONT=宋体]We are going to my hometown to visit my parents [/FONT]
l[FONT=宋体]We are going to stay at home to have a good rest. [/FONT]
l[FONT=宋体]We are going to work overtime to catch up urgent orders [/FONT]
………
l[FONT=宋体]Happy May 1[/FONT][FONT=宋体]st[/FONT][FONT=宋体] holiday![/FONT]

[/FONT]

Dagwood

PF Regular
Apr 23, 2011
Ontario

l[FONT=宋体]Most of the time, before starting the meeting formally, people [/FONT][FONT=宋体]like chatting for a while, such as, talk about weather, recent [/FONT][FONT=宋体]holidays, latest news etc. [/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=宋体]
l[FONT=宋体]May 1[/FONT][FONT=宋体]st[/FONT][FONT=宋体] holiday is coming, let’s talk about it this week. [/FONT][/COLOR]
l[FONT=宋体]Where have you been last May 1[/FONT][FONT=宋体]st[/FONT][FONT=宋体] holiday? [/FONT][/COLOR]
l[FONT=宋体]I have been to Suzhou last May 1[/FONT][FONT=宋体]st[/FONT][FONT=宋体] holiday. It was a very nice [/FONT][FONT=宋体]trip. [/FONT][/COLOR]
l[FONT=宋体]I went to Hangzhou last May 1[/FONT][FONT=宋体]st[/FONT][FONT=宋体] holiday. West lake is amazing, [/FONT][FONT=宋体]I want to go there again. [/FONT][/COLOR]
……[FONT=宋体]. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[/FONT][/quote]

Most of your sentences contain only contain minor errors. Your Engilsh is quite good, but the sentences are not always phrased the a manner that a typical English speaker would use. I'll pick one for correction and perhaps someone else can help with another. Here's how I would phrase your sentences:

<I>Most of the time, before the start of the formal meeting, people enjoy taking a little time to chat about such topics as the weather, recent holidays, the latest news, etc.

The May 1st holiday is coming. I suggest that we talk about it this week.
</I> <I>

Did you go anywhere interesting during the last May 1st holiday?
</I> <I>

I went to Sushou on the last May 1st holiday. It was a very nice trip.
</I> <I>

I went to Hangzhou for the last May 1st holiday. West lake is amazing. I would like to go there again.
</I>

As I said, your English is quite good and some of these corrections are just to phrase the sentence in a manner and syntax that would be more commonly used.

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
Dagwood said:
Most of your sentences contain only contain minor errors. Your Engilsh is quite good, but the sentences are not always phrased the a manner that a typical English speaker would use. I'll pick one for correction and perhaps someone else can help with another. Here's how I would phrase your sentences:

<I>Most of the time, before the start of the formal meeting, people enjoy taking a little time to chat about such topics as the weather, recent holidays, the latest news, etc. </I>

<I>The May 1st holiday is coming. I suggest that we talk about it this week. </I>

<I>Did you go anywhere interesting during the last May 1st holiday?</I>

<I>I went to Sushou on the last May 1st holiday. It was a very nice trip.</I>

<I>I went to Hangzhou for the last May 1st holiday. West lake is amazing. I would like to go there again. </I>

As I said, your English is quite good and some of these corrections are just to phrase the sentence in a manner and syntax that would be more commonly used.
Thank you so much for your help. After you correctted, they sounds more comfortable, smooth.

We will talk about it this noon (Thusday). You are our timely rain.:D