Complete and utter Randomness...

PennQuaker09

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2007
Durham, NC
Okay, so I know I don't come around as much as I used to, but I can't help it. High schoolers will kill you! But today is pretty good, I'm giving tests pretty much all day.

Lissa asked me if we have the nursery done and I told her I would start a thread because it's a little more complicated than that. Plus, you all can probably help me a little bit. Nate's fellowship ends in May and after that it's pretty much in the books that we're moving. It's not the best timing in the world, but if I'm going to stay at home, we have to. So far, he's had interviews in Chicago, New York, New Haven, St. Louis, and Boston. My absolute least favorite would be New Haven, it's just a dump.

My money would probably be on Chicago. They seem to be offering the best salary and he's been there twice. His sister lives in New York and I think that would be an advantage. However, everything just costs so much. It's probably like 100 bucks for a bag of diapers.

Needless to say, there is no nursery because I'm thinking that this house is probably going to be on the market fairly soon.

Next, there's an open call for baby name suggestions. Right now I'm thinking Hunter and Savannah.

I'll be back after I get my students started on the test.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I love the names...and they are almost here. I can't wait to hear what you guys decide to do. I wish I could be more helpful...So where do you think you would be the happiest?

PennQuaker09

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2007
Durham, NC
Well, I know there are options when it comes to New York. Like we could live in New Jersey or Connecticut. Plus, this time around, we're buying a smaller house.

I really like the idea of Chicago, but I'm getting bad feedback on gay couples living in the burbs. And that the city has race issues. The same for Boston.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
well I think you guys should be were you'll be the most comfertable. You shouldn't be somewhere that you'll have to worry all the time about peoples reaction to your kids. I know there will always be an idiot or 2 but for the most part you should try to settle in an area that will be the most accepting of your family.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Are there any gay organizations that can give you any advice on area's? Since you are expecting the twins and going to raise them there you def don't want jackholes as neighbors.
I can't give you advice on names because I like unusual names so that mine is the only one in class with that name :)
You really don't need a nursery for a while because they will probably be in the room with you two right? Mine were in my room until they were six months old.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Cute names!

Are you going to answer my fertilization question? You don't have to if you don't want to. I'm just curious about it and all. ;)

Do you and your man get to go to the prenatal appointments and everything?

Thanks for the update!!

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
I like Hunter and Savannah. :)

Has Nate been offered a position in each of those cities, or are you still waiting to hear? What a tough decision. You'll have to sit down and go over all the pros and cons of each situation and go from there.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Yea, will you be there during the birth and cut the cords??? We want full details. Since I had twins I have twin rights to know. hehehe

PennQuaker09

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2007
Durham, NC
Lissa said:
Cute names!

Are you going to answer my fertilization question? You don't have to if you don't want to. I'm just curious about it and all. ;)

Do you and your man get to go to the prenatal appointments and everything?

Thanks for the update!!
My bad, I forgot! We both donated sperm but we don't actually know who is the father. We did it that way on purpose.

Generally, I'm the one that goes to the appointments because my schedule is much more flexible than Nate's.

Trina said:
I like Hunter and Savannah. :)

Has Nate been offered a position in each of those cities, or are you still waiting to hear? What a tough decision. You'll have to sit down and go over all the pros and cons of each situation and go from there.
I know that he's definitely been offered positions at Children's Memorial in Chicago, New York-Presbyterian, and St. Louis Children's.

Cost of living wise, I think St. Louis is the best option. After we sell this house, we're going to have a profit. It would go a lot further in St. Louis. Each city would require a different housing budget. Obviously, if we lived in New York we're going to have a million dollar mortgage - it seems to be unavoidable. It doesn't matter if it's the suburbs or in the city. Plus everything is just generally more expensive in New York, even diapers. But I do like the idea of living closer to family. I have an aunt in New York and Nate's sister lives in New York.

The one good thing about all of the hospitals is that they offer domestic partner benefits.

hannah's mommy said:
I like those names too.

And St. Louis is the best city out of all that you mentioned ;)
You think so? The Lou doesn't have a Nordstrom. For me, that's practically a deal breaker. Even if I'm getting puked on, I want it to be in nice clothes. :wink:

musicmom said:
Yea, will you be there during the birth and cut the cords??? We want full details. Since I had twins I have twin rights to know. hehehe
We'll be there, but I'm not cutting cords. I'll pass out . . .

Y'all, I was also thinking of Spencer as a girls name. And I'm having a hard time with middle names.

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
PennQuaker09 said:
My bad, I forgot! We both donated sperm but we don't actually know who is the father. We did it that way on purpose.

Generally, I'm the one that goes to the appointments because my schedule is much more flexible than Nate's.

I know that he's definitely been offered positions at Children's Memorial in Chicago, New York-Presbyterian, and St. Louis Children's.

Cost of living wise, I think St. Louis is the best option. After we sell this house, we're going to have a profit. It would go a lot further in St. Louis. Each city would require a different housing budget. Obviously, if we lived in New York we're going to have a million dollar mortgage - it seems to be unavoidable. It doesn't matter if it's the suburbs or in the city. Plus everything is just generally more expensive in New York, even diapers. But I do like the idea of living closer to family. I have an aunt in New York and Nate's sister lives in New York.

The one good thing about all of the hospitals is that they offer domestic partner benefits.

You think so? The Lou doesn't have a Nordstrom. For me, that's practically a deal breaker. Even if I'm getting puked on, I want it to be in nice clothes. :wink:

We'll be there, but I'm not cutting cords. I'll pass out . . .

Y'all, I was also thinking of Spencer as a girls name. And I'm having a hard time with middle names.
Oh yes we do to have a Nordstrom!!!!

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
PennQuaker09 said:
Are you going to have a paternity test? Or are you just going to guess who's sperm it was. :)

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I love love love Spencer, that rocks! You crack me up about Nordstroms. I know the feeling. I see all these mom's in sweats and yucky and I say hell to the no on that! I am always dressed nice and presentable (I think anyway) I refuse to give up who I am because I became a mother. I dress down at home.
I think that is the coolest thing I've ever heard about both donating. Cool stuff right there. One child could be yours bio and the other could be your SO.
I wish I lived by you. You have twins and love to shop my kind of friend!

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Lissa said:
Are you going to have a paternity test? Or are you just going to guess who's sperm it was. :)
I think the point is to not know. Because the children are in their hearts as biological. I'm sure they will probably have defining traits and they might be able to tell but I wouldn't want to know. I think this is an awesome idea.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
PennQuaker09 said:
Well, I know there are options when it comes to New York. Like we could live in New Jersey or Connecticut. Plus, this time around, we're buying a smaller house.
Jersey's alright. I got family up there. And the names? Very cute.

PennQuaker09

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2007
Durham, NC
Lissa said:
No, no paternity tests for us. But I am half black and there are some distinguishing things that I think are noticeable. The only iffy thing is eye color because mine are kinda green and his are blue. He's kinda WASPy, lol. I'm so bad.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
PennQuaker09 said:
No, no paternity tests for us. But I am half black and there are some distinguishing things that I think are noticeable. The only iffy thing is eye color because mine are kinda green and his are blue. He's kinda WASPy, lol. I'm so bad.
That's exciting. What if you really can't tell who's sperm it was? LOL