confused???...

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
So Nichole's GI (nurse actually) called me yesterday and said that the doctor doesn't want to do an allergy profile on her (tests for food allergies) she just wants to discuss doing a biopsy when we go on the 9th!!! um...... does that make sense to anyone???

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
A biopsy on what? :-(

Well your kid has had diarreah for a year, and is underweight for her age...so maybe the doctor is thinking that they go hand in hand, and wants to find out what the problem is. The bloodwork came back negative, so now it's on to the next possibility.

So yes, it makes sense.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
personally, I think what every you decided to about the biopsy is up to you but I would FOR SURE want an allergy profile done on her

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
she is small, but heck, I put myself on teh growth curve and I am only on the 20th percentile!! DH is also quite small for a man. She has always been small, my friends preemies were bigger then Nichole at birth and she was 2 weeks late!! lol

So yes the point is, is that every doc I have talked to other then the GI says that most likely it is a food allergy or a carbohydrate intolerance and those should be done first. They have not ran either test. if they ran those and those came back negative, then maybe...
Why would they want to do invasive procedures first then do the minor blood draw ones?

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
Kaytee said:
So yes the point is, is that every doc I have talked to other then the GI says that most likely it is a food allergy or a carbohydrate intolerance and those should be done first. They have not ran either test. if they ran those and those came back negative, then maybe...
Why would they want to do invasive procedures first then do the minor blood draw ones?

Oh....

well yeah, I would definitely want the easy tests done first!

How many times have you guys changed her diet in this year anyway?

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
the only thing we have tried to eliminate dairy, we did ir for two weeks (not even bread) and it did nothing for her. So she gets milk sometimes now. We haven't eliminated anything else, because if we do and they do test her, it will come back negative even if it's positive.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Actually, I'm surprised food allergies weren't the very first thing looked into. I agree with you, Kaytee. I'd want the allergy testing done first and then if nothing turned up there, maybe the biopsy.

BTW, both my kids have severe food allergies.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
see!! I agree I don't understand why they would ont want to run the easy tests first, other then to maybe pad the pockets of the surgeon that does the biopsy

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Kaytee said:
see!! I agree I don't understand why they would ont want to run the easy tests first, other then to maybe pad the pockets of the surgeon that does the biopsy
I totally agree with you there

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Maybe they are ruling out the more severe things that would have to have immediate attention. If it's a food allergy that would take time. If it's something possibly life threatening then it's better to get it out of the way then to wait.
Same way that they would do an x-ray to see if you have a broke bone then to give you an aspirin and see if the pain goes away.
Why have they not done a colonoscopy? Did they already test for parasites or bacteria in the colon?
I don't know what you've been through. sorry

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Allergy testing for food allergies doesn't take a lot of time, and food allergies can be life threatening. Both my kids have severe food allergies, and have been through testing a few times.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
They have tested for all the bacteria and viral issues that are common, giardia, rotavirus, all of that good stuff. Colonoscopy would not help since they would have to go to far in to do anything and you can't do a biopsy on a squirming child.
Like Ttrina said, food allergy test would take 10 minutes to draw the blood, and the results back in a week.
Taking music moms analogy, its more like ordering an operating room to set the broken bone before taking an x-ray.
The only reason the doc came up with for doing the biopsy is to check to make sure it is not celiac, if that is the only reason she has, then we will put her on a gluten free diet before allowing them to put my child under anesthsia!!

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
I agree. It would be much less invasive and traumatic to try her on a gluten free diet and see how she does.

I thought they already tested her for Celiac and Krohn's Disease. ?? My son was tested for Celiac via stool samples.

They can do blood tests for food allergies, but I have been told they're not as accurate as the skin prick tests. Even so, that can be done during a single doctor visit. Not entirely fun for the child, but certainly not as bad as taking blood or a biopsy.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I was under the impression that you could test food allergies yourself. By not giving your child a certain food and then putting a dropper under her tongue and taking her temp. I guess the temperature goes up if she is allergic. My niece was allergic to a certain type of sugar.
Have you looked into homeopathic sites?

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
musicmom said:
I was under the impression that you could test food allergies yourself. By not giving your child a certain food and then putting a dropper under her tongue and taking her temp. I guess the temperature goes up if she is allergic. My niece was allergic to a certain type of sugar.
Have you looked into homeopathic sites?

Never heard of that method, and frankly, I would not want to try it. My kids are severely allergic to nuts, as in they go into anaphylactic shock, which can be life threatening. Not something I'd want to mess around with. As it is, we learned the hard way with DS when he was 3, when he ate a pistachio nut for the very first time. I called 911, he was rushed to the ER via ambulance, and we still almost lost him that night. We held off peanut butter and all nuts with DD until she was 3 and had her tested. She tested positive for severe nut allergies! I'm so glad we didn't have to learn the hard way with her.

In Nichole's case, it is very possible that a food allergy or intolerance is causing her diarrhea and weight issues. I'm surprised food allergy testing was not the first round of action.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
It was something like..you don't give them milk for seven days and then on the seventh day you put a dropper under their tongue and if their temp rises a bit you will know they are having a reaction. (of course I'm not a dr...so don't try this) but this is a homeopathic thing my ex SIL used to do.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
It kina make sense, but at the same time it wouldn't work. There are top 12 food allergies, I can't name them all but some of them are nuts, shell fish, strawberries, carbohydrates (sugars natural and artificial) and so on. Also some foods have to be out of the body for up to 3 months before it is completely out of the body. That would take a few years to test them all.

Trina: they did test her for Celiac in stol and the panal for blood. Problem with those tests is that they are only about 30% accurate in children under 5. Biopsy is really the only route to take, as the person gets older and the gluten has been in their bodies longer it becomes more and more accurate. but still even a severe celiac has only about a 60% shot at testing positive with blood and stool.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
<I>Trina: they did test her for Celiac in stol and the panal for blood. Problem with those tests is that they are only about 30% accurate in children under 5. Biopsy is really the only route to take, as the person gets older and the gluten has been in their bodies longer it becomes more and more accurate. but still even a severe celiac has only about a 60% shot at testing positive with blood and stool.</I>

I still think it would be much easier to try her on a gluten free diet for a few months to see if her health improves. She could also have Crohn's disease, which can also be controlled through diet.

On the topic, lots of helpful info concerning food allergies at
http://www.foodallergy.org/