Constipated kids and vegetables (suggestions)...

nwcrazy

PF Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2011
Yesterday, at a department store, I struck up a conversation with the sales clerk. She told me that her toddler had a serious problem with constipation.

I told her that when my daughter was a toddler, she had constipation too. So in addition to giving more water for her to drink, I gave her Fiber One cereal to munch on like chips.

But then I also had the idea to spike her grapejuice with a little bit of prune juice. It was just a small amount. Over time I SLOWLY increased the proportion of prune juice, and a year later she could drink prune juice by itelf. It worked. No medication was needed and she no longer had constipation.

Also, when my daughter was two, I told my brother that we were concerned that our daughter wasn't eating vegetables daily. He suggested that we give her the original V-8 juice, not the "sugared up" splash drink. So we tried that...
I don't think she liked it at first; but at 2 year of age she didn't really hate it either. I think it would be much harder to get her to drink V-8 if she were to start now, at age 5. Anyway, it's 3 years later and she has acquired a taste for the stuff. So on those days we don't serve vegitables, she'll chug down a small can of V-8.

I hope these suggestions help someone who has toddlers. It may be harder for it to work on older kids.

:err::no::spinny::yes: (I put these smilies because my daughter wanted me to)

Leila

Aug 22, 2011
my son suffers from constipation too. I think I'll follow your suggestions...thanks :)

Ultraparent

Sep 12, 2011
Hey guys. This is a topic not any people really know a lot about. I'd recommend visiting <link removed>

They have one of the best range of parenting guides, resources and tips which I have come across. I'm sure that you will find something helpful there.

I always feel that these problems are best sorted out during their infancy.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpeechieK

Sep 19, 2011
The nearest toy or book store
My little one suffers badly with this if I don't watch his fruit and veg intake. Luckily he eats really well at the moment and particularly likes traditional "meat and two veg" dinners like my MIL serves so I am trying hard to make sure that he keeps up with this and doesn't get to be a faddy eater.

As i like to feed him the smae meals we eat (within reason) it does restrict our eating choices though. If we have pasta 2 days running (even with veg in it) I have to give him high fibre cereal or he will really suffer - poor little thing.

Anyway, luckily we seem to be on top of it at the moment:eek:

singerj

Banned
Dec 18, 2011
Add lots of fiber. Especially from fruits and vegetables. Less processed food is helpful.

Jon
Drive4Rebecca

cbag

Dec 21, 2011
apricots, prunes, apples, peaches, and any green leafy vegetable, will do the job.

sheryltips

Jan 12, 2012
Toronto
Apples and pears and you can always sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon and a PINCH of sugar--they'll be begging for it!

My son was extremely picky with his vegetables at first. The only one he seemed to like was cauliflower, so I served it, over and over again. My husband and I were sick of it at first but now we're obsessed! Ironically, my son eats all his vegetables now, and cauliflower is NOT a favourite anymore.

john pape

Jan 18, 2012
Constipated kids and vegetables provide us a lot of specification in life so we suggestions if we eat fresh vegetables then we are most healthy and no disease perform reaction perfect so any Constipated kids should eat best foods for complete cure like as carrot, salad and others fresh vegetables.

Andrea Brown

Jan 5, 2012
Our toddler experiences constipation and the best cure we have discovered is to eat beans. I prepare dried organic beans in the slow cooker and they turn out beautifully.

He plasters the dish with ketchup, and it is a ritual to eat them every day for lunch. We vary the flavours: maple syrup beans and molasses beans are his favourites.

He also carries a water bottle around all the time, and we are really heavy on the fruits and vegetables, which he loves.

Foods that constipate him the most are: potatoes (any type), bananas and rice.

Best wishes and take care!