craft ideas for teen boys?...

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
anybody have any ideas for projects that might appeal to "tough guy" teens?
dream catchers are on the list. they're currently doing a REALLY cool self portrait project that's kind of like those marilyn monroe pop art, but in shades of black and grey (tried to copy at home... failed badly)

we are seriously in need of some more ideas...

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Tie dye?

How about simple beaded or macrame necklaces? I've noticed teen boys wearing them.

Shari Nielsen

PF Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2008
CT
Check out Home Depot or Lowe's or whatever large hardware store you have in your area. I know the ones up here are always offering classes on how to build this and that.

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
I'd forgotten tie dye, that was on this list.
I'll check out some of the other ideas... though we may have to pass on car kits. Most of these kids are in drug court, so I don't want to expose them to the temptation of getting high on modeling glue! :eek: Any other group of boys, that'd be ideal for though!

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Trina said:
Tie dye?

How about simple beaded or macrame necklaces? I've noticed teen boys wearing them.
great idea Trina...I like the idea of leather work and wood work too

Steve

PF Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2008
I used to love plastic models. Dunno how popular that can be any more.

I also used to love model rocketry. It's not that expensive and very safe, and what boy doesn't want to be launching rockets?

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
steve - they would definately be into that. how dangerous is it, and does it involve anything that could be a temptation to boys with a history of problems, including drugs? As much as boys like them, I want to avoid anything with "huffable" chemicals in it. I don't think they'd do it on our premises, but I REALLY don't want to have somebody relapse on our watch....
Stained glass is an interesting idea - we have a place in the lower level of my building that does that. Can't beleive that didn't occur to me!!! I only walk by it 10 times a day...
I's like to look into the garden thing too. I'm not sure many of these boys are going home to warm meals, so I'd like to teach them how to make simple meals, and it's be very cool if they could use some of their own stuff in it. Maybe herbs at first, since they're faster, and then their own vegetables...

I appreciate the ideas... keep 'em coming!!! :)

Steve

PF Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2008
budnkota said:
steve - they would definately be into that. how dangerous is it, and does it involve anything that could be a temptation to boys with a history of problems, including drugs? As much as boys like them, I want to avoid anything with "huffable" chemicals in it. I don't think they'd do it on our premises, but I REALLY don't want to have somebody relapse on our watch....
Well, I guess the inhalant part rules out potato guns, hmm?

Main problem for the inhalers would be in the paints and any thinners needed to clean up the paints. This may rule out plastic models for you -- they're pretty incomplete without being painted. If you tihnk it's a good enough idea, I'd check out the model paints at Walmart or Kmart.

Rockets dont' really need to be painted. It's nice but not necessary. And the solid fuel engines are solid and pretty inert.

Makes me think of balsa models too - no paints required.

If ya'll have a few $$ for investment, a scrollsaw and some pine wood could start a lot of things, all the way from puzzle-making to intarsia, etc.

nykid

Apr 19, 2008
How old are these kids? 8? No offense, but plastic model cars probably wont be the most impressive thing in the world to them. What about leather wallet making? Stained glass could be dangerous, and if you're talking about ex-con type kids, the last thing you would want is molten glass or some other type of sharp shards of glass being all over.

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
no - these kids aren't violent criminals. It's a detention facility for kids who've screwed up, but it's a lot of drugs, theft, that kind of thing. Most of them are actually pretty decent kids who've just screwed up - and a few who got messed up in some gang stuff. Lots of time due to older siblings.

Our youngest (at the moment) are 13, most of them are about 16. We admit between ages 9-21 (different units, obviously)

I've actually been a bit surprised by some of the things they are willing to do. Sometimes they even do a project without commenting on how stupid it is! :) That's when you know you have a real winner! lol

thx1138

PF Regular
Apr 1, 2008
When I went to summercamp at around 14 some of the things we did that I really enjoyed were small contruction projects, usually just laying a small section of sidewalk for example, leather working, and welding are cool too.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
I have had amazing results with having children (of all ages) design and build their own musical instruments, and having them write songs, individually as well as in groups, does wonders for their confidence, moral, intellegence, and builds great social abilities.

Would be happy to share more info.

Nes

PF Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2009
Canada
Aquariums are great! They don't have to be expensive if you get in touch with your local fish-heads and get some second hand equipment. Plus that's something they can really get into, although maybe more of a hobby then crafty :)

Or if you can convince them all the chicks will think they are sensitive and that they can make some really neat stuff - what about knitting? It's not to hard to learn, there are allot of great videos on how to knit online & again, not too expensive! :)

I'm going to agree with music-dad too, guitars aren't necessarily expensive, and again all the chicks will think they are really sensitive and sweet! :D

My apologies, I don't know how I even found this one :#

zeitgeist

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2008
Blacksmithing? Is that at all possible?

I got the chance to do that in camp one year and it was pretty cool. The group mostly made fire pokers and horseshoes and things like that, but we only had a little time to go at it. Longer and we could have learned more.

There's no question you've got to be resilient to work with the fire and strong to wield the hammer. Tough guy stuff. ;)