Crazy...

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
How normal is it for an 8 year old girl to get her period?

Jack's daughter Candace got her period for the first time in January. Cora started just this month. I got a little nervous about it all, thinking maybe it was possible molestation, but these girls never go anywhere where there are many strangers and the people in their lives are quite trustworthy. Plus, it happens only once a month, which lead me to realize, yes, it is indeed Aunt Flo paying them a visit.

I have never heard of girls getting it this young.

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Amber said:
How normal is it for an 8 year old girl to get her period?

Jack's daughter Candace got her period for the first time in January. Cora started just this month. I got a little nervous about it all, thinking maybe it was possible molestation, but these girls never go anywhere where there are many strangers and the people in their lives are quite trustworthy. Plus, it happens only once a month, which lead me to realize, yes, it is indeed Aunt Flo paying them a visit.

I have never heard of girls getting it this young.
I've read that in hot climates (for example, some countries in Africa) girls can get their period as early as 5 years of age)

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
Wow, learn something new every day. Kind of scary to think that a five year old could get pregnant. I know the odds of a successful pregnancy would be slim to none but still...scary.

Shari Nielsen

PF Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2008
CT
Wow - I knew it was getting earlier and earlier, but that hit home. My dd will be 8 in July. She's still a little kid!!! I can't imagine her dealing w/ a period at this young age!

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
btw - I was about 8 when my big sister started getting periods. My dad gave me the _best period advice ever_.

One day when my mum and sister were out, he took me into my sister's room, opened her cupboard and showed me the box of pads.

"You see these?" he said. "We don't talk about them."

_best period advice ever_. really helped a young boy know how to cope with his big sister's periods: don't talk about them.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
well there are many studies that link all the hormones in milk and meats (other foods as well) to this earlier age to hit puberty. This is why Nichole drinks organic foods 80% of the time

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Kaytee said:
well there are many studies that link all the hormones in milk and meats (other foods as well) to this earlier age to hit puberty. This is why Nichole drinks organic foods 80% of the time

See, this is what the doctor told their mother. I still think it's wierd. I got mine at 10, and thought that that was young.

I know one thing, though...it's rough here when all 3 of us are on. I'm really not looking forward to Kaylynn and Lauren starting. 5 in one house. Gawd.:goofy:

Thanks, guys!:)

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
yay, I mean its not just hormones in food either. It can be hereditary, but the added hormones does not help

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
A good book to read on this issue is The Body Project. It talks about how changes in society relate to girls having their periods at younger ages. In today's world, girls are forced to be sexual and grow up much earlier.