Crooked Teeth?!...

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
My son cut his first tooth when he was about to turn 10 months. It was his top front tooth, and the other one came in right after it and they look great. Lately his bottom two teeth have been coming in, and they have me kind of worried. Instead of coming in straight like they should, they're both turned in, kind of forming a triangle if you know what I mean. It's pretty bad...

I know that crooked teeth happen, don't get me wrong. But I must admit that I've never ever seen a baby with crooked teeth. Usually the baby teeth always come in pretty much straight. I've seen so many babies and little kids, and never seen crooked teeth like this before. I don't want to sound stupid... maybe I'm just crazy. I asked my mom, Steve's mom, and even my Aunt Kim, and none of them have ever seen or heard of a baby having crooked teeth like that.

Is this bad? What does it mean? Will they straighten out or is he going to have really bad teeth? What do I do? It looks like I'm not even sure if he could really bite stuff with them the way they are. I'm going to ask the doctor, but I'm wondering if anyone here has anything to say on it? Its really bothering and worrying me, even though it seems trivial... any advice? Insight? Anything? :eek:

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
That is really odd. I have never heard/seen that. He may have bumped his mouth at some point and damaged them before they grew above the gum line. I have heard after your child gets their first tooth your suposed to take them to the dentist. I would ask the dentist. Good news. He will lose his baby teeth.

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
Wow, I've never heard of teeth coming in like this. Have you taken him to the dentist? You probably don't even need to take him, just call and then they can tell you what they think.

For me, I was worried about Alenya's teeth because there is so much space between them. But what I realized is that she'll lose those teeth whenever she gets older...but in cases like your lo's I would get it looked at.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Oh yeah! The dentist! What was I thinking. Of course, I'll have to set him up a dentist. They would know. Thanks. That's true, he'll lose them... I just worry they'll cause him problems until they do fall out.

kiddie

Aug 15, 2008
Xero said:
My son cut his first tooth when he was about to turn 10 months. It was his top front tooth, and the other one came in right after it and they look great. Lately his bottom two teeth have been coming in, and they have me kind of worried. Instead of coming in straight like they should, they're both turned in, kind of forming a triangle if you know what I mean. It's pretty bad...

I know that crooked teeth happen, don't get me wrong. But I must admit that I've never ever seen a baby with crooked teeth. Usually the baby teeth always come in pretty much straight. I've seen so many babies and little kids, and never seen crooked teeth like this before. I don't want to sound stupid... maybe I'm just crazy. I asked my mom, Steve's mom, and even my Aunt Kim, and none of them have ever seen or heard of a baby having crooked teeth like that.

Is this bad? What does it mean? Will they straighten out or is he going to have really bad teeth? What do I do? It looks like I'm not even sure if he could really bite stuff with them the way they are. I'm going to ask the doctor, but I'm wondering if anyone here has anything to say on it? Its really bothering and worrying me, even though it seems trivial... any advice? Insight? Anything? :eek:
Hello. I stumbled across your posting and found it very interesting and thought I would join and reply. First off you are NOT stupid or crazy. You are simply a concerned parent that sees something in your child that you haven't seen in others. This is a totally normal reaction.

Crooked teeth in infants is actually more common than you think. Yes, a lot more infants don't have crooked teeth like what you described but it does often happen.

The first thing you have to ask yourself is if the parents ever had braces. If one did, then likely this is a sign they "inherited" their crowdedness. You would then need to not only start a college fund, a car fund when junior can drive, but also a braces fund. More times than not what you described is an early sign of more crowding later. Right now this is simply a conversation piece as right now it is a wait and see thing.

It is possible though the tongue may help straighten the teeth out. Remember the tongue is a strong muscle and the tip of it form a nice half circle in the shape of the arch. In time, the muscle may push those teeth into a better position.

The academy recommends the 1st dental visit at age one or six months after the first tooth comes into the mouth, whichever is first. You should consider making that visit now though because of the crowding and reassurance. You have a beautiful child there and I hope this information helps.

Regards,

kiddie

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Oh thank you very much, that's reassuring information...

Honestly, I had braces when I was a teen due MOSTLY to overbite, but also due to some crookedness. Steve (Eli's dad), has always had pretty crooked teeth. He was going to get braces but didn't. So I always thought our children would be guarenteed to have crooked teeth. The only reason it was weird to me was that it was his baby teeth, and Steve and I had perfectly fine baby teeth. And like I said, I've never seen it.

So yeah, it's funny you would say that, because I was just saying that exact thing the other day, that I had to start saving for braces for him because I could almost guarantee he'd need them. But I hope his tongue helps those teeth!

Oh and thank you for saying he's beautiful. :D

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Here's a picture that kind of shows them. They're grown out a little more now though, and look a little worse than this. But this at least gives you an idea.

Cthru

PF Fiend
May 11, 2008
Chicago suburbs
I don't think you have too much to worry about. The teeth move so much as the other teeth come in - you would be shocked. Plus these are baby teeth, so you won't really know until a few years passes if you'll be looking at braces down the line. Of course, when you go to the dentist you can see what they think as well. I think he's just fine though. My daughters teeth were all over the place growing up.. and they moved and changed so much. Only one of them had braces - and if I had to say which one would need it when they were babies, i would have said her sister. so you never know.