Curly hair...

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
Rebekah has her father's hair, tight, curly ringlets and not to mention that it is incredibly thick.

Ive always had thin, dead straight hair, so I dont know what to do with it (and DH is no help, because he's shaved his head since he 20 and prior to that he's always kept it quite short)

I know that I can only comb it when its wet, and only use a comb, not a brush (something the hairdresser told me when I was getting my hair cut) and to never use a hairdryer on it or it will go frizzy (something I learned from experience)

But what can I do with it? I tie it up in a ponytail or pigtails and the hair tie snaps and goes flying accross the room. We leave it out and it gets matted and tangled. I can french braid it, but it gives Bek a headache having the braids that far up hear head, and regular braids dont stay in.

Does anyoen know how I can tie it back, somehow? Im tempted to take her to the hairdresser and get it all braided, it would be so mcuh easier that way.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Getting it braided would probably be nice. You could try a banana clip, it's good to hold up a bunch of hair without breaking or anything. It holds more hair because it distributes it in pieces among the teeth instead of trying to hold it all in one place like a hair tye.

Good luck though I don't know either because I also have fine, straight hair!!! lol

Nes

PF Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2009
Canada
Oh good luck, I've been trying to figure out what to do with it for the last 23 years... Thankfully my hair is straightening out as I get older, although on humid days I go right back to a head full of curls.

I don't know about your daughter but my hair it isn't so much that my hair is thick - but that there was ALOT of it and it was all very fine. So it would break all the time.

Your hairdresser is right NEVER USE A BRUSH! :D It won't turn out well. I suggest you first go out and buy some stock in your favourite detangler brand, then buy a whole crate! I have yet to find a conditioner that actually detangles my hair while doing everything else I want in a conditioner. Last thing I tried is garnier fructus long and strong - and it was pretty good actually, so I'd suggest that. There are just for curls products and they are great too - but they get a little expensive.

Be carefull when your hair is wet it is much more fragile then when dry, so comb gently with a wide tooth comb, or even spray detangler and just use your fingers to get apart the big knots.

You can use a blow dryer but you need a defuser attachment and only ever blow down, NEVER UP!

Some experts suggest curly haired people not use shampoo because the natural oils of our hair keep down the frizz - and i find this actually really works! Still once a week or every other week I get grossed out by my head and shampoo it anyway - but as compaired to when I did it every day, it's a huge difference in frizz! And your hair will natrually start to clean itself after 3 weeks of no shampoo - but I'm around farm animals a fair bit and if I went that long I don't think anyone would want to be around me!

Olive oil is also great for getting tangles out - and it makes a really nice mask for the hair to rehydrate it (something you'll find she needs I'm sure).

As for the elastic problem? You'll just have to find some better quality ones - but I still break one every day or two :). You can always try a ponytail with an extra elastic at the bottom of the tail.

Buns are great! You can even get little bun sacks (sorry, can't think of a better word) that have clips to hold them up.

Or you can do a braid, then pin it to the back of her head.

Big Alligator clips (I don't know what else to call them - the big teeth with the back that opens and closes them), are great just to hold the hair down and together quickly.

Headbands... buy lots...

Honestly I can't think of anything that REALLY helped except getting old enough to take care of my own hair.

Another option is to take her for a hair cut and ask them to thin her hair a little - that would probably help.

I'll tell you though, I know of what I speak the kids used to call me "rats nest" for a year or two in elementry :x

Good Luck! I'll keep thinking.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
What is it about girls. The ones with straight hair want it curley. The ones with curley hair want it straight. Me,,,, I just would like to have hair. All the girls used to say "OOOH I love you hair bs." Now I have "horseshoe head" so I just shave it all off. I WANT MY HAIR BACK!!!!!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
lol bssage, though that is normally true I personally am actually quite happy with my hair most of the time. I would look dumb with curls. I am always happy that I have straight, easy as heck to manage hair. There's not much I have to do to it, and it still looks pretty. So I'm good. :D

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
get a detangler for all the tangles.
and we just let the girls wear their's up down, howevere they want it. and if we want the curls to really show up we add some mouse or gel to it--esp. for pics. they are so cute! :biggrin:

the detangler and moose really help with calming the hair down so you can style it.
the brand we use is suave kids detangling spray... its the cheapest there is and works just as well as a more expensive brand.

good luck with the curls.

JessicaMadison

PF Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2008
Aww, I know exactly how you feel. Bailey has thick, curly hair. It's beautiful but she straightens it pretty much everyday because she hates it. I'm not too good with hair so I don't know how much help I'll be. But curly hair is such a pain.

I don't know if this is good for you or not...

But, when Bailey was little and I did her hair I did it in one of those half up ponytails. Like you put the top layer of hair into an elastic and just let a few little baby curls hang down beside her face, and then just the back is down. It looks gorgeous on curly hair. I was never good with Bailey's hair. She manages pretty well though. I'll ask her some tips when she gets home.