Dating. What age is too young?...

esmerelda

PF Regular
Feb 27, 2009
Maryland
If u have kids that are at that age or have a opinon on this issue express it.
IMO i think real dating should start no earlier than 14 or 15 depending on the maturity level. Before u start letting them date u need to reittirate "the talk" as well.

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
Megan started dating at 13, Dylan at 15, Dane 13, Cassie just started dating so 14. Jonathan apparently started dating at 12.

For us it all depends on the child, if they show enough maturity to date at 12, why not? Of course that's to say that Amber and I need to know who this boy/girl is, and the first few dates be at either our house or the other childs house under parental/guardian supervision.

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
i started dating at 14.........but i look back at it now, and relationships when you are that young just cause stress.
16 is the golden age.

Lynette

PF Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2009
Switzerland
It depends on the child and how mature it is. I think I'll allow my kids to date when they think they're ready for it. And if they should discover they're not ready even if they thought so? Well, all they will have to do is stop dating.

My kids won't need to have "the talk" before they start dating. "The talk" in my family is a long process starting when they're very little and ending once they will not feel at ease about talking with mommy about love and sex anymore.

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
Dadu2004 said:
For my daughter, dating will begin when I'm dead. :)
Spoken like a true dad LOL. it prolly depends on the kid. I am not wild about my niece having bf's but as so far it has been fairly innocent and closely supervised i figure it is better to pick my battles!

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Father_0f_6 said:
Megan started dating at 13, Dylan at 15, Dane 13, Cassie just started dating so 14. Jonathan apparently started dating at 12.

For us it all depends on the child, if they show enough maturity to date at 12, why not? Of course that's to say that Amber and I need to know who this boy/girl is, and the first few dates be at either our house or the other childs house under parental/guardian supervision.
I'm with you on this one

gregjohn1229

PF Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2009
esmerelda said:
If u have kids that are at that age or have a opinon on this issue express it.
IMO i think real dating should start no earlier than 14 or 15 depending on the maturity level. Before u start letting them date u need to reittirate "the talk" as well.
i need to burried six feet under before nadine is dating

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
i'm not ready to even think about it....but, eh probably sixteenish. before then it would have to be supervised dates with maybe a little leway for maturity...
dh is about the same way as some of the dads here. it will be over his dead body...

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
I think DH would agree with all the other dads here, hehe.

Depends on the child, im not going to set an age, because I dont know what my girls will be like at that age. I think its one of those 'we'll cross that hurdle when we get to it' kind of things. See where everyone is at, and then we'll go from there.

Lynette

PF Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2009
Switzerland
For my daughter, dating will begin when I'm dead.
i need to burried six feet under before nadine is dating
I think DH would agree with all the other dads here, hehe.
I've tried the whole "over my dead body" routine but Amber decided we were going to talk...she won.

Okay, we see a cliché that is being confirmed: Most dads would rather not see their daughter dating or .... worse :shocked: (while their sons could pretty much do whatever they want -the more the better, but that's another discussion...)
A part from the cliché being more or less funny, rather less, I think, why is that the case? Would not every parent wish his child to develop a normal social behavior? I mean, it is completely normal that at one point dady is not going to be nr one anymore. That hurts, but what is the alternative -the daughter becoming a 25 year old women, that still thinks her dad is the only great man on earth? Would not that interfere with the parental desire for the child's happiness?

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
well, i can't speak for the dads here, but w/dh it's a matter of knowing the girls are going to date and not wanting them to get hurt. he knows its going to happen but he ain't ready deal with it or in a big hurry for the girls to start dating.
i don't think any one has a problem with their kids developing a normal social behavior.
the responses such as "over my dead body" and so on are just normal first reactions to the thought of daddy's little girl (s) dating. most men react that way to the thought of their girls dating though they know its inevitable and unrealistic to feel like that. its something they have to work through. hopefully they done it by the time their little girls have grown to the point of being ready to date..

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Lynette said:
Okay, we see a cliché that is being confirmed: Most dads would rather not see their daughter dating or .... worse :shocked: (while their sons could pretty much do whatever they want -the more the better, but that's another discussion...)
A part from the cliché being more or less funny, rather less, I think, why is that the case? Would not every parent wish his child to develop a normal social behavior? I mean, it is completely normal that at one point dady is not going to be nr one anymore. That hurts, but what is the alternative -the daughter becoming a 25 year old women, that still thinks her dad is the only great man on earth? Would not that interfere with the parental desire for the child's happiness?
I'll tell you exactly why Lynette. Because we've been teenage boys and know exactly what is going through their brains. There's an old saying that describes teenage boys that I think is true (though a bit graphic): "God gave men 2 heads and only blood enough to run one at a time". So, a dad's reaction is, "Oh heck no, not with my baby!!!"

Here Lynette, you'll enjoy this. :)

<YOUTUBE id="jjO9kX4npVY" url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjO9kX4npVY">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjO9kX4npVY</YOUTUBE>

Lady Karen

PF Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2009
Ohio
<CENTER>
:wubclub: :wubclub:
</CENTER>
<LEFT>
When my daughter was in High School she had friends ... sure they were male friends but ... did not go out w/ any of them except to attend youth rallies &amp; youth camp that's where she saw them &amp; was able to talk w/ them. As it was like she was the Ugly Duckling and that nobody took intrest in her at all ...

UNTIL ...

This year ... when a good friend that she has introduced her to someone that as about to change her life. Keep in mind that she is 20 years old. I have given her the Mother &amp; Daughter talk too about waiting till your married to have sex &amp; so she knows what is right.

So, here she is going out with a wonderful young man who is just 4 years older then her but a real sweetheart &amp; we all like him &amp; so ... we have even had ah talk about personal things ... and he told me straight out " I am not that kinda of person ... &amp; you do not have to worry about your daughter " So, that made me feel really good knowing that nothing will happen between them even if they are alone. He has also told her { my daughter } that she is worth the wait.

I'm praying that someday that they will get married as they are both Christians and that is what I have been praying for to come into my daughter's life &amp; it happened so I am so happy about them.

She just got home on Tuesday this week from spending 4 days with him in his home w/ his family as he is the BABY of HIS FAMILY too so ... his mom &amp; dad excepted her into the family w/ open arms &amp; even his grandfather told him to hold onto this one ... she is a keeper. As everyone has told them that they are a nice looking couple &amp; so that makes me feel really good inside too.

So, what age is the right age to start dating ?

If your mature enough to understand what is right &amp; wrong ... then I would just let them if they are in the early years { 12 - 14 } I would say supervison is a good idea. If they are a little older I still would be keeping an eye on things &amp; keep a curfue set for them too.

That is just me ... :spinny:
</LEFT>

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
This is funny, my kids can not date until 16, they have other things in thier life that need to be taken care of first.

But hearing all the guys say over my dead body brings me to my husband, three of our older kids are old enough to date, one is afraid of his own shadow, so girls just aren't huge to him him, that's the oldest, then there is my DD who is just know getting interested in someone, she has more male friends the female friends and my husband is freaking out..literally, he has even quized our other DD, anyways my next one has already had one girlfriend and working on a new one. My husband was fine with the hugging and kissing at the little kids x-mas pageant, but our DD hugged her friend and he was bent way out of shape. I tried to point out the obvious that there is a double standard but he just doesn't care. It has been driving me crazy!