Daughter clinging to mother...

dazed80

May 27, 2008
Ohio
I am sure this happens more often then I even know. However has anyone experienced having your kids wanting one parent over the other? My daughter clings onto my wife probably 90% of the time. If both my wife and I are in the same room, she always goes to my wife. I am not upset about this or concerned but more just wondering if this is normal? She is 1-years-old (13 months to be exact) and mom gets most of her attention. I do work the afternoon shift so I mostly see her during the morning hours throughout the week. On weekends though I am around most of the time. Again, just curious about your thoughts on this topic?

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
I think it's perfectly normal, my dd would have times when she would cling to her mom, and others when she'd cling to me, however it was mostly mom.

Now of course her only choice is me, but when mommy was alive, she got most of the attention.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
I think it's normal. :)

My husband mainly works from home and I am usually out of the house for school and now work, so he spends more time with them during the week. But for the last few months my kids cling to me and call out to me all the time. When either of them is very upset, they want me and not him. It's not a negative reflection on him as he is a wonderful dad. I just think it is a phase they are going through.

dazed80

May 27, 2008
Ohio
Music-dad, I am sorry to hear about the loss of your daughter's mom. Was that also your wife? If you don't mind me asking of course.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I haven't put too much into this because I have seen other kids with their parents and usually mom wins on the attention category more times than not.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
dazed80 said:
Music-dad, I am sorry to hear about the loss of your daughter's mom. Was that also your wife? If you don't mind me asking of course.
Yes she was my dear wife, and we miss her bigtime. No harm in asking, I'm ok with that, I've accepted the loss and found peace. Mother's day was a bit tricky, but I made it through OK.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
With my three children they switched back and forth. They still do. My girls tend to attach to me know and my son wants his father. I think it's normal as well.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Totally normal. See this thread:
http://www.parentingforums.org/f5/my-ex-sad-about-daughters-lack-6240.html[/URL]

chars24

PF Regular
May 27, 2008
I think it is perfectly normal in the first few years of life. Also consider the amount of time you spend with your daughter as compared to your wife and the things you do for the child...i mean do you play, talk, read stories, tell rhymes, give her a bath, change diapers... :)

mmynedshlp

PF Enthusiast
May 27, 2008
chars24 said:
I think it is perfectly normal in the first few years of life. Also consider the amount of time you spend with your daughter as compared to your wife and the things you do for the child...i mean do you play, talk, read stories, tell rhymes, give her a bath, change diapers... :)
Exactly what I was thinking :) Also the kids cling to the ones who make them feel safe. Usually through how they discipline. Kids know they are guidelines for there safety and that they are life blueprints to get them through. I don't know how they know but they do.
My step daughter is bonded to me because I am the one who disciplines her though to her bio mom thinks she hates me but she always tells everyone she loves me more. Bio mom gives her what she wants and doesn't really give her the feeling of security.

If by any chance it does bother you ( don't deny it or I think you wouldn't of posted it) then just step in on the weekends and give mommy a break by changing the diapers and preventing lil hands from getting into things by playing games and redirecting. Take her grocery shopping or something (even its to get a snack tray or some juice). Give her lots of love and Direction. ( mommy gets a break too :)

dazed80

May 27, 2008
Ohio
chars24 said:
i mean do you play, talk, read stories, tell rhymes, give her a bath, change diapers... :)
The only item in that list I don't participate in the most is giving baths. Since I am only here during the mornings Monday through Friday I don't get that opportunity. However on weekends yeah I help out there too. All the other stuff I do. :)

mmynedshlp said:
If by any chance it does bother you ( don't deny it or I think you wouldn't of posted it) then just step in on the weekends and give mommy a break by changing the diapers and preventing lil hands from getting into things by playing games and redirecting. Take her grocery shopping or something (even its to get a snack tray or some juice). Give her lots of love and Direction. ( mommy gets a break too :)
Oh it doesn't bother me. I just kept thinking about it as possibly unusual although everyone around me said not to worry. Seeing as I recently joined here I thought I would ask others that don't know me. I will say that I don't give my wife enough breaks and that is something I will work on in the future. However, on weekends the three of us spend quite a bit of time together and I do as much as possible since I lose out during the week. Maybe I just need a different job. :)

mmynedshlp

PF Enthusiast
May 27, 2008
Aww I am so touched. You are so good to admit that. :) I know you are going to work on it:) if you are as sweet as you write you daughter will be not letting go of you soon :)

Oh and to let you know. my daughter does not grab daddy either but when he is gone she talks about him ALOT.

" daddy work?" she gets so excited when she hears his truck pull up.

" DADDY DADDY DADDY"
I am sure yours does too.
Oh and everyonce in a while she brings the phone and says " daddy" so if its near lunch we call him.

.:Kalli Rae:.

PF Fiend
Apr 18, 2008
Rapid City SD
I think it is perfectly normal for a child to cling to a parent. All 3 of my kids were my little shadows for the longest time. Kyla (4 yr old) is still a serious Mama's Girl and always has been. But my situation is a little different, I am the only person in my kids lives that has ALWAYS been there, everyone else has left at one time or another.