Daughter doesn't seem to like me much. :(...

NinJaBob

PF Addict
Sep 29, 2008
Ohio
I can't say why but about half the time she looks at me and treats me like a stranger. Sometimes I get home from work and she runs up to me and showers me with kisses and hugs and says I love you daddy and sometimes I'll come home and say hello to her and she wrinkles her nose and says "go away from me". Things like that. They seem unexplainable to me and it tears me apart because even though I have a lot of other commitments I try my hardest to be active in her life.

My son on the other hand thinks I'm the cats pajamas the bees knees. He wants to be me but the little one half the time looks at me like I just stole her cupcake.

I know that it's just her personality but I need some help coping with it and maybe some advice on how to grow a stronger bond with her.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
I find that to be the case with kids that age...my daughter is sometimes all about mommy and sometimes all about daddy. It seems to come and go in phases.

If I were you, I would try do to things alone with her...take her to the park or ChuckECheese's and spend some time with her.

NinJaBob

PF Addict
Sep 29, 2008
Ohio
Dadu2004 said:
I find that to be the case with kids that age...my daughter is sometimes all about mommy and sometimes all about daddy. It seems to come and go in phases.

If I were you, I would try do to things alone with her...take her to the park or ChuckECheese's and spend some time with her.
That's the big reason that I volunteered to teach her Sunday School class this year. Even though it's not an alone thing I thought that it would help bring us closer together plus I thought that it would ease some of her anxiety about going to school for the first time.

But I need to plan more daddy and daughter events with her.

eleventy1!!

PF Regular
Oct 1, 2008
Minnesota
Kids that age blow hot and cold. My daughter is the same way but maybe a little more stand-offish toward her dad when the mood strikes her. She is really starting to get into the "I'm a girl" thing though so that might explain some of it.

I think that volunteering for the Sunday School class was smart. She is probably so pumped to see her dad leading the class.

NinJaBob

PF Addict
Sep 29, 2008
Ohio
Sometimes it's hard to get motivated to do something with her because I know that there is a pretty good chance that she is going to break my heart.

NinJaBob

PF Addict
Sep 29, 2008
Ohio
For whatever reason my daughter has warmed up to me some over the last 10 days or so. It's probably temporary but I'm loving it. I haven't done anything different she just started loving me.

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
PhilBilly said:
Sometimes it's hard to get motivated to do something with her because I know that there is a pretty good chance that she is going to break my heart.
ohhh.... reading the first post brought tears to my eyes (yeah, I'm a big baby), but the follow up post was even more heart-wrenching!

I'm guessing it's a phase also. Girls at the core are often daddy's girls. Give her time and always try to be the man that you would like her to someday find for herself.

NinJaBob

PF Addict
Sep 29, 2008
Ohio
Thank you budnkota it has gotten a little better. She has warmed up to me lately. I always try my best to be a good man in her presence. Of course sometimes I slip but those times are few and far between. She doesn't like men in general (don't know why) and I think that sometimes she forgets that I'm not just a man but her daddy. Maybe as she gets older and gets to know me better this emotional rollercoaster won't be so bumpy.