Daycare and stay-at-home mom?...

eastcobb

Jan 12, 2008
My wife recently quit her full-time job to stay home with our 19 month-old daughter. In doing so we had to let our nanny go. We recently enrolled our daughter in a twice-a-week day care, even though my wife isn't working. Since I'm not rich and we are now just living on my income, I'm wondering if spending the $100 a week on daycare is really neccessary.

Any thoughts?

CJ's mom

PF Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2008
Connecticut
I'm sorry, but it is NOT necessary to spend an xtra $100 on 1 income. Maybe your wife can work around your hours or overnight. I have worked 11-7a for years so I can be with my kids....best of luck :)

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
100 bucks a week for 2 day a week daycare is crazy to me as well. But to each is own I suppose.

I guess I just don't see the point in sending a 19 month old to daycare if mom is home especailly if SHE quit her job to stay home with the child.

With that said I am a SAHM and my 2 year old will go to pre-k when she is 3 1/2 . It's 2 days a week, for 2 hours a day. Then when she is 4 she will go 3 days a week also for 2 hours each day. This is though the school system though so it does not cost any where near 100 a week. I'm doing it so that she can get used to school before she is put in Kindergarten, which is all day here.

Does your wife say why she wants your dd to be in daycare twice a week?

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
Necessary? Probably not. But there are advantages to your wife and child. I have several SAHM friends who do this. Their children get exposure to other kids and a stimulating environment, and the SAHMs have more time to get things done. If it is too big a financial strain, maybe a baby sitting co-op would accomplish these goals more cheaply.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
It's really a personal and financial decision you and your wife need to work out together. There are pros and cons to both situations. That said, I've been a SAHM since my first baby was born 11 yrs. ago, and neither of my kids has ever been in daycare. For me, that was the whole point of giving up my career. I didn't want them in daycare. Sure, I would have loved regular and routine mommy breaks, but that wasn't worth the cost to me. Instead, we took part in lots of playgroups and traded off baby-sitting with family and friends.

Regardless of what other people think, you need to do what's right in YOUR situation.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
If you can afford a nanny then $100 shouldn't make or break ya. I don't personally see the purpose of a daycare anyway. Why expose your child to sickness for no reason. If she wants to stay at home then that's what she should do in my opinion. Why can she not teach a child herself? I stayed at home with all three of mine and taught them all myself.
Like the others say, mom's groups are free. The child can interact with kids at church.
I'd save that $100 and buy some learning toys and things. She will get a break when the child takes a nap. :)

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
I don't think spending $100 a week for 2 days is necessary either. Like other's have said playgroups are great. Your child get's to interact with other kids their age and the parent can talk to other adults. It having the 2 days is necessary for your wife than I say find a cheaper babysitter, maybe a family member or friend even.

Kaytee-- I just wanted to tell you about our preschool through our school. It is for 3 and 4 year olds and they go 5 days a week all day. I kind of wished they had just a few hours a week though. My last went when she was 4 and loved it, adjusted really well. My 2 1/2 year old could go starting next fall but I am a little nervous about her starting at 3 and going all day 5 days a week, I wouldn't mind a couple hours though.

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
Being a SAHM sorta means you stay at home with your kid. If $100 a week for something is unneccesary then I would say stop it. Like others have said there are playgroups and parks that are free. It isn't easy to get everything done with children- I have four- but it is possible.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
Kaytee-- I just wanted to tell you about our preschool through our school. It is for 3 and 4 year olds and they go 5 days a week all day. I kind of wished they had just a few hours a week though. My last went when she was 4 and loved it, adjusted really well. My 2 1/2 year old could go starting next fall but I am a little nervous about her starting at 3 and going all day 5 days a week, I wouldn't mind a couple hours though.
See I think that is soo wrong. They are too young at tha age in my opinion. They should have an easy way for children to adjust to school without just throwing htem in it. HTats great your oldest did love it though.

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
eastcobb said:
My wife recently quit her full-time job to stay home with our 19 month-old daughter. In doing so we had to let our nanny go. We recently enrolled our daughter in a twice-a-week day care, even though my wife isn't working. Since I'm not rich and we are now just living on my income, I'm wondering if spending the $100 a week on daycare is really neccessary.

Any thoughts?
Personally, I don't think it's a necessary expense. For me, the whole point of being a stay at home mother was to be able to spend as much time as possible with my children.

eastcobb

Jan 12, 2008
Thanks everyone for your reply. I was wrong, however, about the amount we're paying for twice-a-week daycare. It's $137 a week, not $100. I just told my wife that I think this is way too much to spend on childcare with a mom who is SAH. Predictably, she is upset, and her concern is "why now?" I guess I should have spoken up when we first enrolled our daughter 2 weeks ago or 2 months ago when we first signed the paperwork. It didn't hit me until the last week that we were paying a lot for something, to me, that is totally unneccessary.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
eastcobb said:
Thanks everyone for your reply. I was wrong, however, about the amount we're paying for twice-a-week daycare. It's $137 a week, not $100. I just told my wife that I think this is way too much to spend on childcare with a mom who is SAH. Predictably, she is upset, and her concern is "why now?" I guess I should have spoken up when we first enrolled our daughter 2 weeks ago or 2 months ago when we first signed the paperwork. It didn't hit me until the last week that we were paying a lot for something, to me, that is totally unneccessary.
Keep in mind that going from FT working mom to SAHM can be a tough transition for some women. Obviously your wife wants/needs these days to herself. Before taking your toddler out of daycare all together, consider cutting back to one day. That would be a reasonable compromise for both of you. The cost would not be as much, and your wife would still get a mommy break.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
another consideration is some sort of gym. Your wife can go and work out for an hour or two while your child is in the gym's nursery. Then she can get a break for some much needed "me" time and get some exercise as well. Also many churches have moms day out programs. Those may be good altrnatives

ricstutor

PF Regular
Oct 31, 2007
I would think if $100 per week can give your wife some break so she can do her own thing, then it is not a bad idea.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
ricstutor said:
I would think if $100 per week can give your wife some break so she can do her own thing, then it is not a bad idea.
see for us with one income we wouldn't have the extra $100...well it's there but I would feel right about wasting it on daycare when it could go towards something better