Dealing with the neighbor's divorce......

kdryan

PF Fanatic
Jan 2, 2009
Fort Wayne, In
Oh boy... It turns out our next door neighbors are getting divorced. She left him and his daughters, age 9 and 15. Ok, none of my business except that our daughters happen to be best friends and I'm not too sure how to help Olivia deal with this. She was moody and upset most of the day today and I know it's because of this. Avery (the friend) and her sister got in an argument and that kind of thing really un-nerves her. Plus I'm sure she is worried on some level that is going to happen to us. On top of that, they're moving. Not too far, but still, far enough to where they won't be seeing much of each other without a lot of effort. And Avery just happens to be the only girl that is Olivia's age in the neighborhood.

Woof... Tough times.

I did sit her down and explain that some times people feel they just can't stay married and that right now Avery needed a good friend. I told her if Avery wanted to talk about it, to listen and try to be there for her.

Other than that, I got nothing...

Kevin

Last edited:

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I think you said all that you can say, when kids are close like that things that happen in the other family can feel like it is happening to them. Plus reassure your DD that her mommy and daddy are not going to be divorcing, poor girl, it has to be hard digesting everything.

DadAtHome

Jul 8, 2011
US
Been through a similar situation myself. All you can do really is just let time pass and your daughters will eventually make new friends.

As they get a bit older they'll realise the reason why people get divorce, although that doesnt really help you right now.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Yeah, I think you've done what you can. Good job keeping observant. I think I'd be careful about bringing it up too much with her. I'd keep probing occasionally about how things are going, especially if she is showing any signs of being upset. Otherwise just try to keep things open, so she can talk to you and let her ask the questions and answer them honestly. Sometimes we give kids too much information trying to anticipate their concerns, just let them come.