Desmopressin...

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
obvisiously you've done the leg work on this and you seem to have tried just about everything else. I wasn't asking you those question for any reason other then I have never heard of a drug for bed wetting, (plus question like those help to weed out people who are spamming this site with things) anyways if there is no medical reason for the bed wetting and you have tried everything else and this it what works go for it. At 11 it has to be really hard on her because that's the age girls start having sleep overs and such so I totally get wanting to help her anyway you can. It's great that you have researched this product and know what needs to be done to make sure she is OK ( a lot of parents don't sadly). I don't want you to think anyone is attacking you in any way but we are all interested in hearing about things we don't know about...lol
Best wishes to you and your daughter, I truely hope everything continues to work well for you. Hopefully some will be on later that might know more about this drug. we have a few members here from the UK so maybe they know more about this drug as I don't believe it is widely offered in the states. others on have may have had the same stuggles and can help you more

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
I know a family that tried Desmopressin and didn't have good results. I think it had some side effects that they didn't like so they stopped using it.

And I personally think that a wise parent will use drugs as the very last option for any problem. Giving kids drugs is likely to have unknown, long term, side effects. I think giving kids drugs is a serious growing problem.

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
I wish I had something to offer. My 5 year old is a bedwetter. She uses Goodnites and it is heartbreaking for her. She has a few dry nights and gets so excited and then she'll wet again. So far all of her tests have come back fine as well.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
jenilouise said:
I wish I had something to offer. My 5 year old is a bedwetter. She uses Goodnites and it is heartbreaking for her. She has a few dry nights and gets so excited and then she'll wet again. So far all of her tests have come back fine as well.
now as a parent of a child who suffers with bedwetting is a drug like this something you would try

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
fallon said:
now as a parent of a child who suffers with bedwetting is a drug like this something you would try
I don't know. I recently learned a spoonful of honey is supposed to concentrate the urine so I would probably try that before I tried a drug. My doctor is also a fan of natural remedies whenever possible (which is why I love her!)

Shacoya

Jan 10, 2008
WA State
HI Jen001, I wish I could answer your question, but I had also never heard of Desmopressin, or any drugs that could help with Bedwetting.
I've researched some now, and the below links may be helpful. The CarePlace link is to a site that is absolutely wonderful for support groups for many different conditions. Some real caring people there, but at this time there is no Bedwetting group. You can request they start one though. The emedicine was also very informative, but likely you have already long ago read all you can find on this subject.
I think what you need most is a Support Group of people who are dealing with the same problem as you regarding this issue. Maybe the members at the DailyStrength group can help you.
The members here at Parenting Forums are truly wonderful, helpful people, but it seems that none of us so far, knows much yet on exactly what you are dealing with. I hope you stay, and can get help and support on other Parenting subjects! It has been very nice to meet you, and I hope your daughter finds the help she needs to get over this difficult time! It sounds like you are on top of things, watching out for her, and it must be a relief to have finally gotten some results, with the Desmo.
I did read, that usually children grow out of this spontaneously during adolescence. Possibly, she can take this current drug which helps her, and with careful monitoring will have no side effects, and some time soon she can stop taking it and not need it anymore!

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/bedwetting/article_em.htm[/url]

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-pselimprobs

http://www.careplace.com/page/594?from=search

http://dailystrength.org/support-groups/Childrens_Mental_Health/Bedwetting/[/url]

http://www.mahalo.com/Bedwetting

(((HUG)))
~ Shacoya

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
Hi, Jen:

Sounds like a very rough situation for you and your girl! It also seems like you have tried many non-prescription treatments without success. I completely understand wanting to trying desmopressin to stop this problem before it causes your daughter significant emotional damage.

Personally, I would talk to my kid's doctor about the safety and efficacy of the spray in kids if I were concerned. There is too much technical, conflicting information available on the web, and it is hard to get a definitive answer unless you have access to subscription-only medical sites like UpToDate.Com and are able to interpret the articles fully. If you are worried about impartiality, perhaps you could ask a reliable pharmacist who is not involved with writing or filling the prescriptions.

Good luck to you and your daughter! I hope you find relief soon. :)

PreSchool Mama

PF Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2008
Hi

I am new to the forums, and I couldn't help following this thread.

Just a question - did you or your spouse have any bed wetting issues when you were kids? Hereditary causes might be at work here.

I feel for you and your daughter,and I can understand how frustrating this must be for her. I am not familiar with the medication you mentioned, but going by whatever I read about it here, it's probably not such a great idea. It helps to remember that it won't last forever - at some point she will stop bed wetting.

I have a 7 year old boy who wet his bed up until a few months back. I found waking him up twice during the night to take him to the bathroom worked very well for me. Maybe that's something you could try.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
<r>can you tell me if you have tried any of these and if so how they worked<br/>
<B><s></s><e></e></B><br/>
<br/>
<br/>
<B><s></s>Natural Remedies for Bedwetting<e></e></B><br/>
<br/>
<br/>
-One hour before going to bed take six to eight oz. of cranberry juice.<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
- Bedwetting can also be treated using herbs like causticum, lycopodium, ursi, corn silk and pulsatilla.<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
-Before going to bed eat two tsp walnut halves and one tsp raisins.<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
- Drink herbal tea made from herbs like oak bark, horsetail, wormwood or bearberry.<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
- Massage inner thigh of the patient with St. John’s wort oil.<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
- Retention control training - Practice retention control by postponing urination during the day, first by a few minutes and then by gradually increased amounts of time. This exercise will help strengthen the muscles that control urination and also increase the capacity of the bladder.<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
- Avoid taking liquids before bedtime and make sure you empty the bladder before hitting the sack. <br/>
<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
<B><s></s>Diet for Bedwetting<e></e></B><br/>
<br/>
<br/>
<B><s></s>Eat Healthy Diet<e></e></B><br/>
<br/>
Eat parsley and cinnamon bark. Eat fresh and natural foods like leafy vegetables, brown rice and so on. To prevent bedwetting due to constipation eat a fiber rich diet. Eat diet rich in silica, magnesium and calcium. Some of the rich sources of these nutrients are milk, banana, sesame, and almonds.<br/>
<B><s></s>Diet to avoid<e></e></B><br/>
<br/>
Avoid juices of fruits like apple, orange, grapes and pineapple. Avoid sweets, fruits, chocolates, meat and artificial additives. Foods like corn, soy, wheat, dairy products, tomatoes and eggs cause allergy. It is better to avoid such allergy causing foods. Avoid all processed and prepackaged foods.</r>

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
Retention control training - Practice retention control by postponing urination during the day, first by a few minutes and then by gradually increased amounts of time. This exercise will help strengthen the muscles that control urination and also increase the capacity of the bladder.
I thought this one wsa interesting. My sister has 2 kids, 8 and 6 and they are both bedwetters. BUT her doc told her to make the kids go more often. That holding urine can actually weaken the muscles. hmm..... weird

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
yeah...I wouldn't try that one but I was reading that site and was wondering if the OP had tried any of these things before starting drugs

veronicadavis

PF Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2007
Ft belvoir VA
I had kidney problems a year ago and they placed a stent in me and it fell out of place, causing me to lose control of my muscles and well, I'd wet myself in the day time!!! (btw the stent is out and I'm fine again). I had to wear pads, they're like maxi pads but more absorbent. "poise pads" I think. I didn't read all the replies so I'm not sure if you already had this suggested, but I think its a good idea. Nobody would even have to know she was wearing one.

veronicadavis

PF Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2007
Ft belvoir VA
oh, also, I agree, holding pee causes UTI's and cutting back on water (which some might consider, so don't)causes kidney problems! :(

Its not a good idea to use a drug on your kids that you know can hurt them! How are you monitoring her sodium? Do you pack her school lunch? I'm just saying, it seems way too risky in my opinion. Just go with the pads!

PreSchool Mama

PF Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2008
I agree that the urine retention thing doesn't seem like a great idea, although I do hear it mentioned wherever bed wetting is mentioned. The logic is that when you cut down the number of times a child can urinate or increase the duration between each visit to the bathroom, the bladder expands, and thus learns greater control.

It sounds a little too much like punishment to me. Plus, I would absolutely not recommend it for a child of kindergarten age(although I am aware the OP is inquiring about a 11 year old child) because many of them are just learning the ropes of potty training, and making them wait to visit the bathroom is bound to confuse them.