destroying CDs...

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Anyone know of a good way to destroy information on CDs? I have a whole bunch of pictures of Oliver on CDs that are duplicated. I want to destroy them before throwing them in the trash.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Cthru said:
I think they make shredders that shred cd's.
Yes, most shredders handle CDs. If no shredder is handy, a couple good scratchs will make it impossible to retrive data from it.

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
Music-dad said:
How much of a mess will that leave?, I've never tried it but I'm curious now.
Me too. I'm afraid it will damage the microwave. Do you think circle K would notice if I tried it on their microwave?

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
Music-dad said:
How much of a mess will that leave?, I've never tried it but I'm curious now.
No mess, you only do it for about 4 or 5 seconds. I've done it a few times and my microwave is okay. And it looks really cool. I too use CDs for coasters.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
<LIST type="decimal">

1. <LI>
  2. There are several office cd shredder machines, that operate much like common paper shredders. The least expensive are around $40.</LI>
    <LI>
  3. If you don't kill enough CDs to justify a shredder, a heavy pair of scissors can easily cut through a cd or DVD. The reflective foil will crack and flake at the cut line, making a clean splicing impossible. Be careful, as cutting the disc is tough.</LI>
    <LI>
  4. If you have many discs and don't want to go through the hassle/danger of cutting up or breaking them, the eco-friendly Disc Eraser is available for about $15 online at Compact Disk Erase Prevent Data ID Theft IT Security Files. Use the Disc Eraser on the label side of CDs to destroy the metal layer. You can not destroy the metal layer on a DVD with the Disc Eraser because it is sandwiched between two layers of plastic.</LI>
    <LI>
  5. If you are a thuggish sort and want to have a bit of fun, try smashing the offending disc! Wrap the CD or DVD in a towel and then break or crack it with a firm kick or heavy hammer. The towel will protect you as CDs tend to shatter into sharp pieces. Place the broken CD bits into the trash while wearing safety gloves.</LI>
    <LI>
  6. If you feel kind of crazy, you could place the CD or DVD into a microwave and nuke it for 5 seconds, or until you see sparks along the surface of the disk. When you pull it out, it'll have a spiderweb pattern of cracks. However, this can be dangerous and destroy your microwave (see the warnings below), so it is not recommended.</LI>
    <LI>
  7. Do not try this without adult supervision.</LI>
    <LI>
  8. Put several strips of duct tape over the top of the CD. Once the tape is firmly attached, rip it off. The foil lining should come off and you will be left with a transparent CD. This trick does not work on all CDs, and it does not work at all with DVDs.</LI>
    <LI>
  9. Some CDs, especially burned ones, have the data layer unprotected by plastic. In this case, take a table knife to the label and start scraping shiny flakes into a wastebasket.</LI>
    <LI>
  10. For the more DIY approach a belt sander on the label side. This is quite messy, little flakes all over, so do it in an area that is easy to clean.</LI>
    <LI>
  11. If you have the technical background, you could do us all a favor and simply write CD burner software and/or firmware that a) ignores previous data on the CD, and b) writes an entropy file over what was there.</LI>
</LIST>

Warnings
<LIST>

• <LI>
  • Some microwaves could be damaged by a cd. CDs and DVDs contain a small amount of metal. Damage may be avoided or lessened by placing a glass of water in the microwave with the CD.</LI>
    <LI>
  • The data on the CD or DVD can still be retrieved after microwaving it, but it would take a professional with a lot of resources.</LI>
    <LI>
  • Nuking a CD or a DVD even for 5 seconds can produce a very bad odor.</LI>
    <LI>
  • The vapors or fumes released from most DVD's and CD's while microwaving them are TOXIC. Do not do the above unless you have a spare microwave, as the fumes can attach to the walls of the microwave, or cling to your food.</LI>
    <LI>
  • Blow torches are dangerous and the vapors are TOXIC. Stay as far from the cd as you can while you burn it and avoid inhaling the fumes. Wear gloves and safety goggles and have a bucket of water handy just in case.</LI>
    <LI>
  • Due to the nature of some methods, children and irresponsible adults should not attempt to destroy a disc.</LI>
    <LI>
  • People with professional tools may still be able to read fragments of CDs, so be sure to damage the surface, not just shatter the CD.</LI>
</LIST>

Things You'll Need

<LIST>

• <LI>
  • The CD or DVD you want to destroy</LI>
    <LI>
  • Towel</LI>
    <LI>
  • Scissors</LI>
    <LI>
  • Knife</LI>
    <LI>
  • Safety Glasses</LI>
    <LI>
  • Gloves</LI>
    <LI>
  • Hammer - Optional</LI>
    <LI>
  • Blow torch - Optional</LI>
    <LI>
  • CD Shredder - Optional</LI>
    <LI>
  • Microwave Oven - Optional</LI>
</LIST>my source....
How to Destroy a CD or DVD - wikiHow

hehehe

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
Skyburning said:
No mess, you only do it for about 4 or 5 seconds. I've done it a few times and my microwave is okay. And it looks really cool. I too use CDs for coasters.

Cool...I've been needing a way to get rid of Metallica's St. Anger CD...just never had a worthy enough way to dispose of it. Throwing it in the trash seemed too dignified.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
FooserX said:
Cool...I've been needing a way to get rid of Metallica's St. Anger CD...just never had a worthy enough way to dispose of it. Throwing it in the trash seemed too dignified.
I hear that one can't be destroyed and if you try you will be haunted for life by the ghost of Cliff Burton, and Trujillo will do his "crab walk" all over you:

Be afraid...be very afraid.

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
Music-dad said:
I hear that one can't be destroyed and if you try you will be haunted for life by the ghost of Cliff Burton, and Trujillo will do his "crab walk" all over you:

Be afraid...be very afraid.
Is that english? lol That must be really early Metallica. I didn't really notice them till enter sandman(?) then when they cut their hair.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
1dayatatime said:
Is that english? lol That must be really early Metallica. I didn't really notice them till enter sandman(?) then when they cut their hair.

lol...

*pets 1day on the head*

That's post-short hair Metallica...

You're way out of the loop, hey?