Development in 3 year old...

stepmother22

PF Regular
Feb 20, 2008
ok i know that every 3 year old is different and some children are more advanced than others, but is there some kind of online test i could take to see what stage my son is at ?? in my opinion he is behind, we finally got him potty trained it took some time but i knew he was ready, it was just to get into a routine and stick with it, grandmaw babysits and would stick with it and real mom would put in diapers so it was hard to potty train, but that a different story, im just glad we are over that, he turned 3 in Feb, he will be starting Pre-K in August of 2009, he will be 4 1/2 because he has a late b-day, but right now at age 3 he isn't very smart, he doesn't know his name, if you ask him he says "im me", he doesnt know how to count and only know 1,2,3 but not always in order, no alphabets, no letters, shapes or colors, he knows the main colors, blue,green, red, yellow, but he just knows how to say them, not how to tell them apart,, i spoke with the pre-k teacher and she said they perform a test and if he isn't as advanced as they think a 4 year old should be, he would be accepted, and she said those were the main things they look for, name, colors, numbers, alphabets,, im just wondering if there was some kind of way i could test him myself to see what level he is

stepmother22

PF Regular
Feb 20, 2008
stepmother22 said:
ok i know that every 3 year old is different and some children are more advanced than others, but is there some kind of online test i could take to see what stage my son is at ??
and im not trying to say my son is stupid,if thats the impression anyone gets from reading this, i just don't want my son to start pre-k and be behind the other kids, and even be held back in kindergarten,, im just worried

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
Do you read to him? show him the alphabet? colors? shapes? If you do this and have been doing it since he was a babe, I would be a little worried.., but I don't know where you could get him tested???

If you haven't been consistent with him learning these basics though, I could understand why he doesn't know., but still not sure what to tell you.

Hope someone else has some good advice for you :)

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I did not have these problems with my own. They wrote their names and numbers at three almost four, knew all colors and proper names for things. I had them on computer programs since they were two years old. I worked all the time with mine.
There is no way of knowing until he gets older, like you said he could be behind but then catch up really fast. Give him until he's four and start really working with him.
Reader rabbit toddler for the computer is a great starter.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I agree that if he has never been taught those things he will not know them. If someone has consistantly worked with him and he still doesn't get it, then maybe there is a problem. There is no way of knowing rom her ethough.
Sorry and I hope he catches up quickly

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I also wanted to tell you that my youngest twin was behind a bit more then her brother and sister because she had a hard time filtering things. She would see it in her head and it could come out her mouth different or she would write it different. It is totally normal. I work more with her and she has no caught up to the exact same place as her brother and sister. It's just something their little brains have to work out. There are excersices online for the specific problem. Lots of encouragement!

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
In Ontario, (and possibly the rest of Canada) the V.O.N. (Victorian Order or Nurses) calls all new parents when the child hits 15 months to ask a series of developmental questions, like "does the child undertand more than 50 words?, how many different colors can the child recognize"? etc.

Canada's largest, not-for-profit home care and community care organization - VON Canada I'm sure if you contacted them they would help you and give you access to the survey. Or maybe even give you the survey over the phone, takes about 10 mins.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Here in the US they ask that on their yearly check up. Our ped does anyway.

mmynedshlp

PF Enthusiast
May 27, 2008
musicmom said:
Here in the US they ask that on their yearly check up. Our ped does anyway.
Yes it is required by the federal regualtion now because they realized so many kids with autism have gone undiagnosed and fall way behind. Its all part of the no child left behind act.

Most children with any learning difficulty can catch up with help I am not sure but if was an extreme special need it would of been noticed long before.