Difficulty in bonding with Second Child...

River2Sea

Jun 27, 2009
Hello everyone,

I have a hard time bonding/feeling love for my second child, and I am writing this to see if anyone has any suggestions about what I should do about it, or if anyone has been through this situation before. Please do not judge me for being or feeling this way, I am only being open. I feel uncomfortable about these feelings but they are the way I feel even if they may be wrong.

Forgive me if this post may seem somewhat wordy, but I obviously need to explain myself as to why I feel what I feel in this present situation.

I am the father of two young boys, 3 1/2 and 2. I am currently separated, though never married. I was very happy when our first child was born, and toward him today I often feel love-drunk.

Coming up to our first child's second year however, his mother and I were going through a very rocky relationship, with many break-ups, arguments, and moving ins and out.

As this was certainly not the time to have a second child, and as she did not want to use contraception pills, I used contraception myself. Only several times (I think once or twice), when she told me she was not in any ovulating phase, did I not use it, and so was I very much surprised when she announced to me one day she was pregnant again.

I felt entrapped. I was very upset that in our financial and emotional situation at the time, she could get pregnant again. With all our arguing and the uncertainty in our relationship, we were going to have a second child!

Today we are separated, and find myself in difficult professional and housing arrangements which do not allow me to care for the children as I would want. I basically do not have any room to bring a child to stay with me, let alone two. So two children instead of one has really made it difficult for me, especially financially. I feel that Having a second child has in some way made it more difficult for me to care as I should for one.

I do not know today if she was conscious about getting pregnant but it really is not important any more. Today I feel lingering resentment about her second pregnancy, and as much as I try I am not over it! I feel horrible about this because these feelings transfer to my second child and he has nothing to do with it. Nevertheless these feelings are there and they don't go, and have not gotten, away. It's as if when I look at my second child I feel this resentment inside. I can reason that these feelings are WRONG, it does not matter because you cannot reason a feeling. I connect much with my first child, but not so much with my second. I feel I am irredeemably traumatizing my second child because of my feelings, but what can you do against a feeling? I try as hard as I can to treat them both in the same loving manner, and to tell my second child every chance I get that I love him, it's just that my affection just seems to naturally go to my first-born. Sometimes I look at my second child and I feel anger towards him, for no apparent reason. This feeling even sometimes takes the shape in a small form of dislike, which I feel powerless to overcome, and which gets me angry against myself. In addition I believe such a feeling is prejudicial to my first child since all I show in being this way is conditional love.

These feelings are disturbing to me and I just wanted to bring them out in the open, so please do not judge me.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
You need to seek outside help. You recognize that the child is not the problem, but can not help the way you feel. There is nothing here that anyone can say that will be able to help you.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
You know what, admitting it is a fantastic thing, because now youve identified the problem you have towards your child and can work on it. I agree with mom2many, outside help will be the best route here, they will be able to teach you some techniques to seperate what the child's mother has done from the child.

Good luck.

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Eastern North Carolina, USA
I'm proud that you came here looking for help. I can't imagine how hard it had to be to tell anyone that. I think its the first step in fixing it. I agree you should probably seek some help to work through your feelings. Maybe you could also try to find some time with just your younger son and you to spend time together. It might help to have time to bond with him alone, like you had with your firstborn. I know you see his Mom in there but he has just as much as you in there too!

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
Hi River2sea
Welcome to the board.

You must feel horrible to admit those feelings out loud, I also think your brave to do so, and respect you more for asking for help.

At this point maybe you shouldn't think about weather or not the child is yours because it may cause you to become more unhappy with him than you feel now.

Forget that for now, and try to imagine how he feels. Sometimes it works when we put ourselves in the other person's shoes. Really try to be him, and try to realize that he's just happy to be alive and doesn't know about all this trickery and grown up manipulation stuff, he's just an innocent little baby.

It's not a bad thing to honestly feel the way you do, nothing much you can do with your anger until you get some help to sought it out, but it's not really fair for the little guy to be feeling or treated less than 100 % loved by both parents either.

You sound like a decent man, trying to figure out a way to re direct your anger, so really the best thing to do is seek professional help. If you can't afford it, than talk to someone you can trust and who is responsible enough to help you, not judge you.

Good luck I hope it works out for you.

BigEd214

Apr 2, 2012
Riverside, CA
Hello, I'm new here but you know I felt similar towards one of my sons and honestly it took some time before I was able to feel that love towards him. Of course you love him and right now it's hard to show it/feel it but in time your feelings will begin to change, even though you've gone through a tough time with their mom, it will take some time. It wasn't until a certain age that my son turned until I really started to enjoy him, I know that may sound harsh but it's the way I felt. I would say seek some answer by some professionals like other say here but also know that in time, as long as you are willing to give it your all, it will becoming easier for you.

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Eastern North Carolina, USA
I don't know if you've ever doubted that he was yours. If you have in the back of your mind, finding out for sure might be a way to move past that start building a relationship. If you haven't, please don't let any suggestions influence you in a negative way. I think some of the advice you've been given is great. I'm going to tell you a secret that I've not shared with anyone... and now I'll tell the whole world...for you! ;)

My second pregnancy was horrible compared to the first. Their father left me while I was 6 months along, I was staying back at home with my Dad and hearing what a loser their father was. All my plans had crumbled. Depressed and sad, it was not a joyful event to look forward to. Then, what was supposed to be a girl turned out to be a boy. All I could think was I have no idea how to raise a boy. I was single women, poor, raised with one other sister, and clueless. Not to mention all I had was girly things for my son to come home to. I wasn't happy. It was hard to love someone else when I didn't love myself at the time. I felt like a loser for not wanting to play with him like I did my first born and I didn't feel like I was bonded... and what did that make me?

I had been moving through the first few months of his life like a robot just doing what had to be done without real emotions.. then he was sick. Very sick. It immediately knocked some sense into me. In that minute that I realized he could be taken away, I realized just how much I did love him... desperately. But when your world is turned upside down its hard to see it. I was so sad over the other things in my life, I wasn't able to realize it. He's 20 years old now. He never knew that there was a struggle with me in the begining. I've always been his biggest fan in his heart.

There is a chance that your feelings are related to the whole situation. Not just the baby. Give yourself some time to heal from that. Try to see him outside of the relationship you had with the Mom. No matter at what point in your life he began his, your still going to be his hero. Your still going to be the coolest person he knows. I predict one day, he'll never know that you went through this to build that with him. Hang in there.

sonia124

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Don't put your guilt and be angry on your second child. Accept him whole heartedly and please don't differentiate him and try not to favour one over the other.