Do you ever......

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
<r><FONT font="Arial"><s></s>Do you ever think that your kids will learn the bad traits from you? Does it ever scare you?<e></e></FONT><br/>
<FONT font="Arial"><s></s> <e></e></FONT><br/>
<FONT font="Arial"><s></s>I already see that Bradley has become very sarcastic…just like me and my wife. It’s fine in the house, because I know when he’s joking, but if he’s going to joke around in public…yikes. I feel bad I created this monster that other kids won’t be able to relate to.<e></e></FONT><br/>
<FONT font="Arial"><s></s> My wife used to have a really bad temper, and hit him…and he learned that (it’s not a problem anymore though thank god). <e></e></FONT><br/>
<FONT font="Arial"><s></s>Basically…I love that he’s picking up on all my good qualities…like studying hard, thinking, being active in sports and exercising, etc….but I hate that he’s adopting all the negative things too. They are things I can’t help…it’s just my personality. I tell myself to change and not show it to my son, but it’s just who I am…<e></e></FONT><br/>
<FONT font="Arial"><s></s>I hate it.<e></e></FONT><br/>
<e>[/FONT]</e></FONT></r>

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
I think every parent worries about this, but the reality is that every person on earth has both good and bad qualities - and whether they come via nature or nurture, nobody is perfect. We can only do our best as parents to try and set the best examples that we can.

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
I dont worry about it. I know the kids will pick up on the good and bad. I also know that they will learn how to make choices for themselves.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
At least you don't have to worry about Bradley being ugly like you.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Isn't he four? I was worried about that with my kids too but so far so good. They are sarcastic like me and I've had to stop them and tell them that it's not ok for them to speak like that to me or any other adult. I let them know that there is a time and a place for that sort of behavior. My girls are 6 and they are just now picking up on appropriatness (sp) with being sarcastic. I'm sure Bradley will do. No worries.

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
I worry about that too. Alenya is two and a half and I can already see her picking up somethings from me or my husband. Whenenver Kevin asks me something I go "What?" And she does that too...so we're picking up our habits and changing somethings around like, saying "yes" instead of "what."

Kids are bound to pick up good and bad habits. You might just have to watch how you are around them and change a few things.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
I have a tendency to be rather sarcastic most of the time. I don't do it out in public, just with friends and family. Cameron's learned this, and I had to teach him that it's ok with people you know, but not around strangers, that it can be perceived as rude.

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
Well my language cleaned up big time, and I do my best not to be too sarcastic around them but it is second nature to me.

I just do my best to act the way I want them to act and I think that does make me a better person over all.

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
I think we would be foolish to believe that our children wont pick up on our traits and habits ... spend that much time with anyone ... let alone a developing child ..