Does anyone know about Cats.....

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
Our Cat Rusty is suddenly hissing at my husband. lol No I'm not laughting.

About 4 years ago my DH saved this little kitty from wandering loose around the neighborhood. The cat was just alone, scared and when ever my DH went into the back yard the cat would run to him and whine. Ed put food out in the shed, but the weather was getting really cold and rainy we couldn't leave him outside.

Sooooooooo $400.00 later, we adopted him and made a place for him in the basement, his own litter box and food/water. He always loved my DH

Eventually he became close to me, I bought him little toy mice and would play with him and he began to trust us. Little by little he comes up stairs in the evening, and even lets my MIL pet him. He never jumps up on us though and still runs if someone comes into the house he doesn't know.
But he is fine with us. Most of my friends and family have never even seen him, I think if I didn't show them pictures they wouldn't believe I have a cat. lol

Anyhow, Rusty has been hissing at DH, for a few months now. and my husband is getting annoyed at him. Ed says the cat does it when Ed first goes downstairs which is his MAN CAVE, so it's every night. Eventually Rusty stops and either stays away from Ed or comes out like nothing is wrong.

Rusty still loves his mommy (me) lol and never hisses at me. Of course I clean his box and make sure he has food and water always.

Does anyone know much about cats and/or why he might be doing this?

Steps from step

Jul 15, 2011
Have there been any significant changes around the house? Cats who undergo changes in behavior such as those described may be uneasy with something new in the surroundings or may be reacting to changes in their owners' own behavior or stress levels. Another consideration is that behavioral changes are common indicators of illness. Might be a good idea to consult your vet. Half joking, but worth a try: have him feed your cat- may as well test out the old "don't bite the hand that deeds you" theory! Good luck :)

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Have him bring a small treat with him everytime he goes downstairs. He'll be his favorite person in no time. ;)

I do agree with the above poster as well though, its possible he's stressed out about something that may or may not revolve around your husband. Either way the oddest things can make cats act like that for what seems like no reason. If it keeps up you could look into a couple of pheromone based products to help calm him down. They have collars and plug ins, even sprays. There are actually calming treats and liquids as well. Sounds dumb but really! lol I would start with the treats first though. Like I said have him bring down a little something every time, or maybe a pinch of catnip or small toy or whatever. Even if he hisses at him anyway and runs, tell DH to just set down the treat and leave it while he goes about his business. The cat will still know it was from him and will eventually look forward to his visits I bet lol.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
Thanks so much for all the great ideas.

I'm not much of an animal person, but other family members keep bringing them home and of course they end up bonding with me because I tend to their needs. This includes my MIL's dog, he comes to me for everything. I'm afraid I don't know a lot about animal behaviors.

Rusty is such a good boy though and he tries his best. I think he was traumatized on the outside, we never found his mom. So I just give him his space and don't demand anything from him. He likes to hang with me in the mornings and he comes out at night when he thinks everyone is sleeping, and puts his paw on me. Than runs1 lol so cute.
I leave a window open so he can sit on the sill. Little things like that make his life happy. My Husband feels a little insulted because the cat was actually 'his' first. lol

As far as changes in the house, my 93 yr old mother in law does live with us and has some strange behaviors of her own to say the least, and sometimes she yells at her dog, or at a bird or what ever, maybe this does upset him. Health wise he looks good and eats well but I will watch for any signs.

I will buy him some treats and some new toy mice and have DH bring them to him when he goes down stairs. Great ideas thanks again.

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
I agree with what everyone has said, especially about your husband feeding him or bringing him treats.

And do I understand you that your MIL recently moved in with her dog? If so, I'd say that explains it in a nutshell. Rusty is becoming more territorial because of the dog and so when your husband enters what is he considers his territory, he lets him know.

I know he's a stray and not a particular breed, but some breeds are loyal to one person at a time. Feeding the cat will make your husband Alpha cat again.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
MomoJA said:
I agree with what everyone has said, especially about your husband feeding him or bringing him treats.

And do I understand you that your MIL recently moved in with her dog? If so, I'd say that explains it in a nutshell. Rusty is becoming more territorial because of the dog and so when your husband enters what is he considers his territory, he lets him know.

I know he's a stray and not a particular breed, but some breeds are loyal to one person at a time. Feeding the cat will make your husband Alpha cat again.
Thanks MomoJa:
Actually my MIL was here first and her doggie too. Rusty loves Ami the dog they snuggle. So I hope he snaps out of it, the treats might work.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Is it possible the Ed has come into contact with some other animal on a regualr basis? I'm just thinking that if suddenly he consistenly smells like another animal that may be what Rusty's reacting too.

I think Xero's treat tactic should work. The route to a cat's heart is through his stomach....hey, that seems familiar....

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
I'm not sure how much it would help but if the cat has a bed of sorts, you could try placing a piece of his clothing in there for the cat to sleep on/get more accustomed to his scent /shrug

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
I've had cats all my life. When was the last time he went to the vet. for a check up? Behavioral issues can be a sign of an illness or medical problem.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
IDad yes that is possible since my husband works outside I never thought of that. Thanks.

Incogneato, thanks I'll put a piece of Ed's clothen in or next to Rusty's bed.

Trina, I haven't taken him to the vet in a very long time because he never goes out side, and he's in really good health. He eats and drinks normally and socializes when he feels like it. It's just this one little quirk.

My husband says Rusty has been much better. He's been coming to Ed and making friends again. lol Ed put a ladder up to the window,so Rusty can climb up to the window sill and look out.

Rusty likes that and the treats were a good idea too.
Thanks everyone. :)

aogden

Aug 14, 2011
Pets, like people, have mood swings. Some become depressed, some manic, some just get anti social. "Its the circle of life"....but I would take him to the vet. Even if it is an indoor animal....just a suggestion. For routine stuff, not for behavioral.