Donating Breastmilk...

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
What do you think about donating your breastmilk to "milk banks"?
There are many conditions that can benefit from the use of donor
breastmilk. Here is a partial list of some of these conditions:
Clinical Uses of Donor Human Milk
(i didn't want ot write the whole list)

Each milk bank has different donor requirements, but typically a donor must:
* Have a baby 12 months old or younger when registering as a donor. (Some require 6 months or younger.)
* Be a non-smoker.
* Not be on any routine medication other than birth control.
* Be able to meet typical blood donor screening requirements.
* Get the consent of both her doctor and her baby's pediatrician.

So what do you think? Would you donate your breastmilk?

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I would if I was able to produce breast milk...and had if wasn't so expensive and I could have found a local bank I would have use donated breast milk

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I would as well. My friend actually did donate for a long time. Almost 2 years. They continued to take her milk after her dd was 1 because it was hypoallergenic milk. No dairy, soy, nut, wheat, oats.
Donating milk is a wonderful way to provide nutrition to babies. Most of the babies that recieve it are very sick and cannot tolerate formula. So you are saving babies by doing it

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Kaytee said:
I would as well. My friend actually did donate for a long time. Almost 2 years. They continued to take her milk after her dd was 1 because it was hypoallergenic milk. No dairy, soy, nut, wheat, oats.
Donating milk is a wonderful way to provide nutrition to babies. Most of the babies that recieve it are very sick and cannot tolerate formula. So you are saving babies by doing it
that's so true...I do wish it was easier to to get though. If your baby doesn't HAVE to have it they make it crazy expensive to get

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
it is crazy expensive, if it were me, NOW, I would have a friend help me to get milk. I have quite a few friends that nursed for a long time and I would have them pump for me. I may not be able to give all breastmilk that way, but at least my child would have some.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I would have given it in a heart beat. I also wanted to donate my cord blood but they didn't do that. I thought that was insane because it can do so much.

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
If I had extra milk, I'd be open for anything:
- donating to the milk bank
- donating to someone directly
- wet-nursing

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
I was lucky I had enough milk for my own kids. I was unable to pump more than 2 oz. at time. For that reason, no, I would not donate any of it. If I had an ample supply, I would have thought differently.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I'd be up for that. When I was nursing I could have fed the entire neighborhood. lol

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
Honestly, I will probably be the minority here and say that I wouldn't donate my breastmilk and I wouldn't take it either.

I wouldn't donate because I go to work and I stock up for days whenever I don't make as much. If I had like 1000 oz I would be more willing. But I had a small stash of 60 oz and that's almost gone now because as Kaitlyn is getting older I'm not making as much. Now if I was making milk like a cow going out of milking style then I would be for it.

I wont take donated milk because I don't know these women who are donating. I'm just too paranoid to accept someone else's milk.

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
I read this last night and have thought about it. I think I am with Anks and Meow on this. I do not think I could accept it. If my child was really sick and could only take this then yes but I think I would choose formula over someone elses milk. As far as donating it, yeah if I had enough to feed my own child and then some I think I would.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
Donated milk is much more safe then formula. Formula is not sterile, it has things in it that are just plain nasty chemical substnaces. I would much rather take my chances on milk then formula

Lissa: I coul;d have fed a litter as well lol

ivybendorf

PF Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2008
Oklahoma
Lissa said:
I'd be up for that. When I was nursing I could have fed the entire neighborhood. lol
Ditto! 'Course I could never get my boobs to cooperate with a pump properly, so I would have to be a wet-nurse. Having used a wet-nurse before, I can say they are invaluable! You never get a date or a spare ten minutes away from baby as a breastfeeding mom, unless you have a wet-nurse. Mine was my best friend, and she loved hanging out with my son.

Somewhere in Romania/Transylvania, you know, old world gypsy country, it is a very common thing, and two kids nursed by the same woman not their mother are called milk siblings. It is the law that milk siblings are just as related as blood siblings, and they may not marry. Its incest. (Strange facts you learn, lol!)

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
interesting but strange little fact...
now how can I use that one in real life..... hmm....

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
Can't say if I would use it or not. Never had to think about it, actually never even knew about it til now. I pumped some for the occasional night out with hubby during both girls first year. With my oldest, I didn't get much, but with the youngest I made too much. Most times if I didn't pump I'd leak. I don't know if I could donate because they'd probably want you to pump it there and I'm a pretty private person. I didn't even go to the hospital to have either of my babies.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
I must say, I have never ever heard of anything like this before. I even went back and checked the date on the first post to see if the thread had been started on April 1st, thus a joke of some kind.