don't read this if you have a weak stomach....

Rosa

PF Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2009
Wales
Dadu2004 said:
I feel the same way Xero does in this case. It's very easy to say "I'm crazy" or "Mentally Ill" in order to try and escape the punishment of jail to live in a golf-course resort of a mental hospital. In my opinion (I have no facts to back this up), I believe that most people that claim mental illness for their crimes are not mentally ill. They're using that claim to gain some advantage and compassion in the public eye.

You do the crime, you do the time. "Mentally Ill" or not.
A criminal wont get anywhere by claiming they are mentally ill when they are not mentally ill, they will just receive a longer sentence and a decreased chance of early release. Being tied to your bed all night and their a chair all day, not exactly a golf house.

The testing for mental illness within criminals is different to that of civilians as well, which I think is a bit of a problem actually. Most criminals that have been assessed at our unit if a non-criminal member of society would be diagnosed with a mental illness, however as they are criminals they need more sever symptoms and a greater range. Which doesn't give a very good outcome, it means they don't receive any treatment and they are not monitored once out of prison, which isn't doing any favors for society.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
It hardly works that way Rosa. The people aren't tied to their bed and chair all day...only if they're causing violence to themselves or others.

Rosa

PF Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2009
Wales
Dadu2004 said:
It hardly works that way Rosa. The people aren't tied to their bed and chair all day...only if they're causing violence to themselves or others.
I assume you haven't spent your career diagnosing mental illness and working in a high security mental health hospital.

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
i do believe there are instances where that is the case. :yes:

but not always. :no:there are ones like this woman or andrea yates or the lady iadad mentioned where it is clear that it was a case of a severely ill person completely looses it. these are the ones who need the compassion or pity or what have you.

the ones that are just using mental illness as a cop out--eh, put them in general population and let those creeps get ahold of them. there are instances where it was just a vicious act of violence due to, oh i don't know, bigotry or something and the offender claims insanity. those are the cases where i could honestly say that i'd take comfort in knowing their fate was hell.

but in the end, for me its the ones who were clearly mentally ill to begin with that need atleast our pitty.

we all have our opinions and it doesn't change that everyone here does their best to be decent parents and folks. we're all just living life as best we can.:cool:

Rosa

PF Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2009
Wales
Dadu2004 said:
I assume that you've been watching too many movies.
No, when you have spent 9 years working within high security mental health units for those who pose a danger to society and who have been convicted of crimes, you know far more than anyone who is assuming this, or that happens. I've work at Ashworth and Rampton, two of the UK's three high security psychiatric hospitals, with the likes of Ian Brady.

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
Dadu2004 said:
Many of them are. Not all, but a lot of them are big vacation homes with plenty of ammenities.

i agree 100% on this . too many times someone gets sent to prison only to find that they get cable tv, medical care, and so on that comes out of our tax payers' pockets. i think if you get put in a prison for whatever reason--selling drugs, murder, whatever then the chain gang is for you.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
16th ave. said:
i do believe there are instances where that is the case. :yes:

but not always. :no:there are ones like this woman or andrea yates or the lady iadad mentioned where it is clear that it was a case of a severely ill person completely looses it. these are the ones who need the compassion or pity or what have you.

the ones that are just using mental illness as a cop out--eh, put them in general population and let those creeps get ahold of them. there are instances where it was just a vicious act of violence due to, oh i don't know, bigotry or something and the offender claims insanity. those are the cases where i could honestly say that i'd take comfort in knowing their fate was hell.

but in the end, for me its the ones who were clearly mentally ill to begin with that need atleast our pitty.

we all have our opinions and it doesn't change that everyone here does their best to be decent parents and folks. we're all just living life as best we can.:cool:
Well said.

Rosa said:
No, when you have spent 9 years working within high security mental health units for those who pose a danger to society and who have been convicted of crimes, you know far more than anyone who is assuming this, or that happens. I've work at Ashworth and Rampton, two of the UK's three high security psychiatric hospitals, with the likes of Ian Brady.
Maybe things are a bit different in the UK, but you will definately find golf course resorts here.

I have no clue who Ian Brady is, nor do I particularly care. Also, throwing your credentials around will get you nowhere with me. This is the internet, you could easily be making it up.

Rosa

PF Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2009
Wales
Yes because my life is so boring and sad I obviously go around the internet with my alter ego :rolleyes:

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
I'm not calling you a liar. You won't find that in any of my posts. I'm simply saying that I don't know you. You could be making credentials up, therefore I'm not going to take your opinion as fact. Sorry.

Rosa

PF Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2009
Wales
How the UK runs psychiatric hospitals, is fact, not a persons opinion, which should be extremely obvious.

Rosa

PF Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2009
Wales
This is not an argument, this is you calling me a liar and then denying the fact.

"Yes because my life is so boring and sad I obviously go around the internet with my alter ego"

"You wouldn't be the first and you won't be the last."

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
Rosa...I think you are a bit out of line here and I dont think anyone appreciates it. Dadu is a long time respected member of this forum.

UK's three high security psychiatric hospitals
UK and US are two VERY different places when it comes to mental hospitals. Not to mention you work in a HIGH SECURITY psychiatric hospital. Those will also be very different than other ones...UK or US.

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
Rosa said:
A criminal wont get anywhere by claiming they are mentally ill when they are not mentally ill, they will just receive a longer sentence and a decreased chance of early release. Being tied to your bed all night and their a chair all day, not exactly a golf house.
Well, here in the US you can take a few shots at the President of the United States and still leave the mental institution and have a chance at freedom.

Reagan's shooter given more time away from facility | ASSOCIATED PRESS

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
Wow..back to the topic..lol

Dadu2004 said:
It's very easy to say "I'm crazy" or "Mentally Ill" in order to try and escape the punishment of jail to live in a golf-course resort of a mental hospital. In my opinion (I have no facts to back this up), I believe that most people that claim mental illness for their crimes are not mentally ill. ....

You do the crime, you do the time. "Mentally Ill" or not.
I'm paraphrasing what you said and I do agree with you. However, in this specific case I think it's very very clear that there IS a mental illness affecting this woman. I can and do sympathize, maybe because I bordered on needing treatment for depression after I had Nolan. I'm fairly certain had I gone to my OB I would have been treated for ppd. Anyway not the point..it's easy to have a black and white stance on the issue if you haven't had to experience it first hand. But like I said earlier..if I were this woman when I did come to my right mind I would WANT to die or be punished for what I had done..and I am sure when she gets treated for her illness the guilt of her actions will be worse than any punishment prison could give her. I'm not saying she should get away with this because she's ill..but I do believe she deserves treatment for her illness before she is locked away in a cell to get worse.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
I'd kind of like to hear another side to this discussion, that being the law side. The closest we have would be FatherOf6 as he was law enforcement (government level) for a long time. I would be willing to bet that he saw alot of people do some terrible things just to get off or get light sentences by claiming they were nuts.

F06, do you have any experience you can share with this?