Drinking age and the local perspective....

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
cybele said:
Now that I think about it, I didn't get my license until I was 22. I had to wait for my husband to get off his probationary license (as he is younger than me) so he could teach me.

Man, I was annoying.
At first I thought that said, "So he could TOUCH me." and I thought "man, they have some crazy licensing restrictions there!"

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
cybele said:
Oh yeah, that too. You need a licence for that :p
What are the requirements to become an examiner for that license?

(although the whole concept of being that rule bound seems much more British than Australian to me.)

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Depends on whether the licence is for touching or being touched.

It may be more British at the moment, but never fear, with our current government, we will end up there sometime soon. But you didn't hear that from me, our current prime minister doesn't like it when women have opinions.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I didn't get my license until I was 19. I must say, it was funny to me because once you are over 18 you don't have to have a certain amount of hours on your permit or keep your permit for any certain amount of time before you decide to attempt your driver's test.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
I must say, it was funny to me because once you are over 18 you don't have to have a certain amount of hours on your permit or keep your permit for any certain amount of time before you decide to attempt your driver's test.
Makes sense. You can't make an adult dependent on their parents, or anyone really, to get their driving hours. I figured that kids whose parents didn't bother to let them get a license just take a driver's ed course as adults.

I had a friend whose parents didn't want the expense, so they didn't let their teen get a permit or license. My insurance company, however, requires all household members 16+ to be insured, whether they have a license or not.

MamaRuthie

PF Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2013
melbourne
that's really strange for an insurance company to demand that everyone over 16 be incurred whats the pointof insuring something with no license???

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I'm amazed that people actually pay for insurance for someone who doesn't drive. Have to be honest, if I were in thst situation I would laugh and take my money elsewhere. The assumption that people are just going to do something illegal anyway doesn't quite cut it for me.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
akmom said:
I had a friend whose parents didn't want the expense, so they didn't let their teen get a permit or license.
Yep, that was my story exactly.

cybele said:
I'm amazed that people actually pay for insurance for someone who doesn't drive. Have to be honest, if I were in thst situation I would laugh and take my money elsewhere. The assumption that people are just going to do something illegal anyway doesn't quite cut it for me.
Have to agree with this.

dannycraw4rd

PF Regular
May 30, 2014
singledad said:
Same here. The two things I have never understood about America is why you have to wait until 21 to drink, and how they can allow 15-16 year olds to drive. LOL. I guess there are many arguments
I'm so sorry but I really do not agree with that.

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
As it has been said, the drinking age in Australia is 18 and I personally wouldn't want it any other way. When I turned 18 I went to night clubs and had fun etc. by the time I was 19 I was pretty much over it because I had gotten it out of my system.

I feel like In America teenagers still drink and go to pubs and clubs they just do it in secret making it more dangerous because it is done in less classy establishments where they are less likely to be carded