ear aches?...

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
a what point do u take to doc? I know they say antibiotics are overused with earaches and that they'll generally wrap up on their own, but this sucks.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
It sucks big time, and I feel your pain. We started investigating further issues with Delaney when it became a 2x a month trip to the doctor. At that point, we began discussing tubes...the doc said let's hold for a bit. A couple of months later, we requested a referral to an ENT. 2 appointments with the ENT and tubes were put in.

You're the parent. You have instincts about your child that your doctor doesn't have. If you're inclined to believe that there's a bigger issue, request a referral. Ultimately, YOU do what you believe is best for your little one.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I have ear numbing drops that I have used in the past, though she has only had 2 ear infections.
For me, I would wait about 4 or 5 days (depending on weekend though). Most ear infections will go away in that time. If it doesn't then they need to see a doc. Also if there is drainage, you should see a doc. The pressure in the ear might be too much at that point. (this is also what our ped. suggests.)

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Kaytee said:
I have ear numbing drops that I have used in the past, though she has only had 2 ear infections.
For me, I would wait about 4 or 5 days (depending on weekend though). Most ear infections will go away in that time. If it doesn't then they need to see a doc. Also if there is drainage, you should see a doc. The pressure in the ear might be too much at that point. (this is also what our ped. suggests.)
I agree 100%

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Trust your parental instincts. You know your child best. My DS had his very first ear infection at 3. He complained of an ear ache one day but didn't have a fever so I wasn't concerned. However, he didn't sleep well that night and woke with a brown discharge on his pillow. I took him to the doctor and learned he had an ear infection and his ear drum had burst. :yikes: After that I took my kids in for ear checks if they complained of ear aches just in case. Our ped. doesn't give antibiotics unless absolutely necessary.

.:Kalli Rae:.

PF Fiend
Apr 18, 2008
Rapid City SD
Aaron has had so many ear infections its unreal. He got his first at 3 wks old :( and from then until he was almost 3, every month. He finally got tubes when he was about 3 and they dropped down to every 6 mos or so. I would take him to the doc if the pain got to be to much. He has had 4-5 ear infections that had burst his eardrum, once it was both ears that had burst.

Anyway I just wanted to say that you totally need to follow your child's lead when it comes to ear aches.