ears and speech...

eileenandjim

Jan 2, 2009
Has anyone had experience with their child's speech improving after the surgical insertion of tubes in their ears? Or just improvement by eliminating allergens from their diet/environment?

Thanks
Eileen

JessicaMadison

PF Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2008
Not my children specifically. But my nephew had tubes put in his ears and I noticed a drastic change in speech.

When my Son had his tonsils out his speech improved so much!

eileenandjim

Jan 2, 2009
My son's in Kindergarten and I am sure he has trouble hearing because of the fluid that is trapped in his ears. I think it's making it very hard for him to both speak and hear clearly. Of course they're also recommending him for speech therapy at school. I just need some hope that this can improve; I know he's trying but the doctor said right now his hearing is like hearing underwater.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Poor thing. Getting the tubes will probably help. I haven't experienced it, but I've definitely heard of it. Good luck. :)

Jamest87

PF Regular
Jan 6, 2009
New York
My son Jeremy had tubes, and [get ready for the horror stories] somehow, it did something crazy to his ear, along with some strange fluid and a partially ruptured eardrum, he has 40% hearing loss in that ear, and is still talking with those funny R's and L's, we're not sure if thats still little kids speak or he's having hearing/speech trouble.

eileenandjim

Jan 2, 2009
We will be seeing an ENT on the 13th and we'll see what happens then. Meanwhile we are taking claritin and flonase, in case an allergy is what causes his tubes to be trapping the fluid in his ears. Thanks for all your replies!

eileenandjim

Jan 2, 2009
FLUID is trapped in his ears, so now we need more precise tests before a decision is made regarding tubes. He definitely has hearing loss though. The doctor says this definitely affects his speech.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Aww poor little thing! I'm glad you found the problem, and I hope you get it all worked out and life is better for him!

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
two of my sister's kids did have improvement with putting tubes in their ears. but a friend of ours has a son that did not have any improvement after the tubes. he still has a speech problem and needs therapy and he's the same age as my oldest.

with our girls, as far as speech went since they didn't have much ear infections we found that speech therapy at the school has done wonders and also just getting them to spend more time with other kids.

yeah, it can affect your speech.
the way speech works is you have to be able to hear what sounds you are making. if ya can't hear something ya make the correct sounds to form words.
so fluid in the ears can affect your speech. another way to look at is is as if you are in a pool with your head under water. when you are in the pool with your head under the water you can't understand very well the noises that going on above you outside the water.. <----that is a similar experience that kids with fluid in their ears experience.

here's a wikipedia link that might help to explain it better.
Speech - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
16th ave Fallon just said not to reply to this thread it's really old. :p The OP's never gonna read that.

eileenandjim

Jan 2, 2009
The OP is still reading. Thanks for your responses and I wanted to say it turns out that he will not need tubes after all. He's in speech therapy and doing well. I am optimistic. Thank you for your replies.

ellen21

PF Regular
Jul 15, 2009
hi i don't have any as such personal experience but i came to know that inserting ear tubes may reduce the risk of future ear infection , restore hearing loss caused by middle ear fluid and improve speech problems .