Earwax Buildup...

TAR

PF Fanatic
May 30, 2007
NM
My 2 year old seems to have earwax build up. When we have been to the dr thinking she has had ear infections in the past they said it was just a lot of wax. They have done the whole flushing thing at the dr before. They said not to use a q-tip, but what can I do to help this problem?

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
They make ear drops for this. Plus flushing it out with a bulb.

The DR didn't recommend anything?

TAR

PF Fanatic
May 30, 2007
NM
No the dr didn't really recommend anything very helpful. When she got her ears flushed out at the office (we thought she had and ear infection for the 4th time in the same ear, turns out she never had and ear infection just buildup) The dr said to put a little bit of shampoo in her ears then rinse with the warm bath water and that should drain it, well we've been doing that but she still gets a bit of buildup.

<sirk> I have seen the stuff they sell over the counter, but I just don't know what one to buy...
I also am trying to find some thing I could use like a home remedie

<skyburning> Never hear of the peroxide - did you use it after a bath? How old were you?

I come from an italian family and they all say to warm some olive oil and put it in her ear with a cotton, has anyone ever had that done? I haven't nor have I see it actully done to anyone.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
warm olive oil worked wonders for us when we were kids (italian family here also) I still use it on occassion...also my neighbor has a great home remedie, I'll find out what all is involved in it when she comes home

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
Tar I was four..and I would just lay on my side and my dad would put a cap of peroxide in my ear and let it fizz for a second and then I would put a cotton ball over it and tip my head the other way to let it run out.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
I've used the over the counter stuff and the peroxide/warm water flush (according to doctor's recommendation)... neither seem to work for me. On occasion when it's bad, I will wake in the mornings and literally cannot hear out of one ear. :-(

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
For myself I put a q-tip ALL the way down in my ear. I know that's SO against the "rules" but i can't stand to have any wax in my ear. I've never had an EI though. But for Nolan I wouldn't ever do that because I can't actually feel where the q-tip is on him.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Yeah my mom always used peroxide on us too, I still do sometimes when I feel like I have a lot of wax. It's totally harmlesss and it just tickles. If you can just get her to lay down for a few minutes with it in her ear, the wax should run right out just fine. Eli has kind of extra waxy ears too. I just wipe them out a lot, it's really all you can do sometimes.

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
I just use the darn cotton bud on Bek (or q-tips as you guys call them)

But then I know how far in I can go. Its rare to get an ear infection or do any damage with one, but you do get some people who just shove them right in, so thats why doctors are generally against it.