Eating Candy in Childhood Linked to Adult Crime...

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Seems a little far fetched to me. There are so many factors involved.

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
There probably is something to it, but the headline s quite misleading as to what the article actually says.

"kids with the worst problems tend to be impulsive risk takers, and that these kids had terrible diets - breakfast was a Coke and a bag of chips"

Which could suggest that lack of nutrients at a young age hindering development is more the key than handing out lollies as treats.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Well, it makes sense that the kids with the worst diet are the ones who are in general parented the least. If they parents can;'t be bothered to try for a decent diet (I know we all have our weaknesses) then it's not too surprising they don't try to discipline or teach right from wrong ()certainly without any consistency anyway).

On a related note, there was a comedian talking about the fallacy fo marijuana as a "gateway" drug. He proposed that with that same logic, you could draw a line between milk and heroine...so he theorisec that since most heroine addicts started out drinking milk, milk must be the true gateway drug...I always keep that in mind when reading info on studies.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I can just picture it now. A man sitting in under investigation of a crime sitting in a chair across a table from an officer.

"Were you given JOLLY RANCHERS as a child?!?!?!"

tsk, tsk...

lol

This article is mostly a bunch of bull in my opinion, but the underlying idea of kids that have poor nutrition or are not very well parented makes enough sense. But the whole "giving kids treats as children" leading to them being criminals is so silly sounding. And that's the way they put it too, its not like I'm reading into it. You have to read into it in order to find the part that actually does make sense lol.

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
i almost pulled a muscle when i read the article's title. some of it makes a little sense but the title itself is too misleading and funny as hell.
the good ole usa and many many many other countries would be completely overrun with criminals if candy is much of a reason that kids become criminals...:twitcy:
on a sadder note, in areas such as the 3rd world countries, many kids have had to do things such as kill and steal and lie just to survive another day and many of those kids have never even seen one speck of candy...

that whole article is total crap....

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Xero said:
"Were you given JOLLY RANCHERS as a child?!?!?!"

tsk, tsk...

lol

LOL! I thought it was Pixy Stix that were the root of candy evil.....(maybe only if you snort them....)