Endless loop?...

Andrew W.

PF Regular
Jul 22, 2013
Missouri
Ummm ...

How do I get to page 2 of this thread?

http://www.parentingforums.org/showthread.php?t=6767&page=1[/URL]

All the other old threads I have looked at have behaved perfectly normally. This one sends me back to page one everytime I click on page 2 or the next page icon, or alter the URL to "page=2".

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
As far as I can see, there isn't a page 2. Only one page for that very old thread.

Andrew W.

PF Regular
Jul 22, 2013
Missouri
The hovertext on mouseover for the link to page two says, "Show results 11 to 17 of 17."

The hovertext on mouseover for the link to the next page says, "Next page - Results 11 to 17 of 17."

That sounds like there is a page 2. And in most threads, when you click on the page 2 link or the next page icon, you get sent there.

On pages that don't have a second page (more than ten posts) there is no link to page two or next page.

Last edited:

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
You sure you gave me a link to the right thread? Because I'm not seeing any of this:

Andrew W. said:
The hovertext on mouseover for the link to page two says, "Show results 11 to 17 of 17."

The hovertext on mouseover for the link to the next page says, "Next page - Results 11 to 17 of 17."

That sounds like there is a page 2.
Literally there is not even the slightest suggestion of a page 2 when I bring up the thread. No numbers to hover over. There is only one page.

Andrew W. said:
And in most threads, when you click on the page 2 link or the next page icon, you get sent there.

On pages that don't have a second page (more than ten posts) there is no link to page two or next page.
Yes, sounds accurate to me. I am familiar with the same information.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
It's not really a loop and only somewhat a bug, it's pretty common on vBulletin sites. Sometimes the pagination of threads is calculated for standard browser resolutions so additional page controls are generated when only one page (or one page less than the total indicated) exists.

Just trust that if you click to go to the last post in the thread, that you are in fact on the last post. So, you may click to go to last post, it takes to to page one, but displays a page 2 is available, but their really is not page two, it's just the way it's interacting with the browser. I see this a lot on mobile browsers.

Andrew W.

PF Regular
Jul 22, 2013
Missouri
I am using Firefox 15.0.1. But regardless of browser, I am seeing 10 posts, and I am not seeing posts 11-17 that the link promises.

Why would a browser problem show a link to posts 11-17 if there aren't 17 posts? Why 17 and not 18? I refuse to believe the number 17 in that is somehow hardwired into the two different browsers that cybele and I are using.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Andrew W. said:
I am using Firefox 15.0.1. But regardless of browser, I am seeing 10 posts, and I am not seeing posts 11-17 that the link promises.

Why would a browser problem show a link to posts 11-17 if there aren't 17 posts? Why 17 and not 18? I refuse to believe the number 17 in that is somehow hardwired into the two different browsers that cybele and I are using.
I'm not a computer whiz, I'm a mom moderating a forum, relax. I was just curious.

What MIGHT be happening, is that there are a lot of deleted posts in that thread, which regular members cannot see. I can see the deleted posts, but they just don't exist to you. So, it might be a bug due to the fact that there are "technically" more posts in the thread, but they are deleted and so not there. I really don't know, though.

Although I am even questioning that possibility, considering Fo7 isn't seeing it. Not sure.

This is just a guess. If you want more information, or to ask for it to be fixed (not something we can do), PM an administrator.

Andrew W.

PF Regular
Jul 22, 2013
Missouri
No, I don't really care, as long as I'm not missing something witty or interesting, just curious. It is kind of weird.

(Aha, I stumbled upon the super-secret thread where the mods keep the keys to the treasury! Quick, Pinky, hand me the bobbin attachment.)