Even financial split...

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
akmom said:
do you mean to say that if you have someone living with you for a sufficient time, then the home you own (with a mortgage) then automatically becomes their home too and the mortgage their financial responsibility also?
Basically, yes. Common law marriage is automatically in community of property, so all assets belong to the "household".

Mom2all said:
The commitment we have means more than any paper or blessing the preacher or the state gives. He is mine, and I am his and that means more than a legal document. SO perhaps.. thats what people mean by meaningless.
Well said :)

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Basically, yes. Common law marriage is automatically in community of property, so all assets belong to the "household".
How does the state, then, differentiate between couples and roommates? Do you have to apply for the "de facto" status? Do you have to opt out? What if there is a dispute about what the arrangement was? Can a disgruntled tenant, to whom you rented a room, suddenly claim to have been in a relationship with you and be legally entitled to the home? (I should specify that this situation could arise in the absence of a rental agreement, such as when you are renting under-the-table or offering free space as a temporary courtesy.)

This "de facto" arrangement seems legally troublesome!

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
In a situation like that, if someone is after half your property and you are claiming that you were not in a relationship, they would need to prove the relationship existed. Which is pretty hard to do when it never did.

I haven't heard of any time when housemates gone sour has ended up like that, and something like that would be all over our stupid current affairs shows.

You don't apply, you don't opt out, simply when there are things where a married couple would get some type of benefits, for an example, Dita and Violet share car insurance, it works out cheaper for a couple than for two individuals, they just put Dita onto Violet's plan as her partner when Dita bought her car. You don't apply or not apply. It' just accepted as something that is. Only thing you need to prove is that you share a residence.

alter ego

PF Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2011
the bush, Australia
personally Id split things evenly, but if your incomes were significantly different, id think about rather than a number value, more of a holistic approach. ie you earn less, so pay for bills groceries, but do all the food planning and prep, while she pays for the rent.
Though im not a fan of split finances, I think its too much like keeping score

JeanieJ

Nov 6, 2012
I see your POV, probably b/c I will be in your position over the next year or so, but I think just to keep the peace and make things simple, 50/50 is reasonable. however, since she DOES receive child support, I would think you have a right to make sure that money is used to lessen his expenses. Like if he joins clubs, or baseball uniforms and equipment, etc. I don't think there's any solid guide-lines for this...but assuming you're both reasonable people I'm sure you can work out the boundaries and stuff. if she wasn't getting child support, and you DID want to take on the role as his father, then yes..i think everything should be 50/50.