Every country leads the world in something...

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Hahaha that's good, some I don't get, but at least I know most of the countries. I bet if you put that map in front of most American adults, they couldn't name more than 4 countries on that map.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I was about to say 'eww' but then I remembered that we eat emu here and I don't find that weird and I guess they're pretty similar.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
See, I thought Ostriches were in Australia....not the thing I would have associated with SA at all....

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I remember another Australian member telling that there were just Kangaroos like everywhere lol. Like too many of them. xD Which to me was fascinating and hilarious, because here we would only EVER see a kangaroo inside of a zoo. Yet you guys don't have deer, and here they are everywhere and so overpopulated that people hunt them for fun. 0_o

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
We have deer. They were an introduced species back when Australian was colonised by the British for the purpose of hunting, and they just bred in the wild. Same reason as to why we have wild rabbits and foxes. You don't see them too often, but there is a road that leads up to where we live where you need to watch out for them.

Depends on where you live with the kangaroos, were semi-rural but in a rainforest area, so we have wallabies and grey kangaroos. No red ones, which are the really big ones because they like the flatter terrain. They're not in the cities though, haha.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Yup, lot's of ostriches here. I just had to laugh at the idea that, out of all the things that they could have picked for SA, they go and pick ostriches.

Xero said:
I remember another Australian member telling that there were just Kangaroos like everywhere lol. Like too many of them. xD Which to me was fascinating and hilarious, because here we would only EVER see a kangaroo inside of a zoo. Yet you guys don't have deer, and here they are everywhere and so overpopulated that people hunt them for fun. 0_o
I think we still win. We had a leopard as well. (See! s'true! We do have wild animals in the streets! :yes:<SIZE size="75">Like, at least two in the last decade</SIZE>)

What I want to know, though, is how does one get killed by a lawnmower? :confused:

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
cybele said:
We have deer. They were an introduced species back when Australian was colonised by the British for the purpose of hunting, and they just bred in the wild. Same reason as to why we have wild rabbits and foxes. You don't see them too often, but there is a road that leads up to where we live where you need to watch out for them.

Depends on where you live with the kangaroos, were semi-rural but in a rainforest area, so we have wallabies and grey kangaroos. No red ones, which are the really big ones because they like the flatter terrain. They're not in the cities though, haha.
oh, and bullfrogs, if the Simpsons are to be believed (I know that's my "go to" source for most information.

Seriously though Xero, don't you bet that kangaroos would do just fine in the southern US? All we need is a pair of them...and some eucalyptus trees...(Cybele heads to the FedEx store with a conspicuously large shipment of "Books" for the US...)

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
singledad said:
Yup, lot's of ostriches here. I just had to laugh at the idea that, out of all the things that they could have picked for SA, they go and pick ostriches.

I think we still win. We had a leopard as well. (See! s'true! We do have wild animals in the streets! :yes:<SIZE size="75">Like, at least two in the last decade</SIZE>)

What I want to know, though, is how does one get killed by a lawnmower? :confused:
I would have said "Diamonds" isn't that the thing we think most of SA?

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
IADad said:
oh, and bullfrogs, if the Simpsons are to be believed (I know that's my "go to" source for most information.

Seriously though Xero, don't you bet that kangaroos would do just fine in the southern US? All we need is a pair of them...and some eucalyptus trees...(Cybele heads to the FedEx store with a conspicuously large shipment of "Books" for the US...)
I think we call them chazwazzas :D (seriously though we call them banjo frogs).

OOH, and I know what Fedex is because of Castaway. TV is magical.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
cybele said:
I think we call them chazwazzas :D (seriously though we call them banjo frogs).

OOH, and I know what Fedex is because of Castaway. TV is magical.
Hmmm, I guess I thought FedEx was more global than that - so who would you use to ship to the US - DHL? UPS?

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
akmom said:
So... can you get ostrich/emu eggs at the store? That would be pretty sweet!
and if so, do the come in dozens? In huge fiber containers? or smaller quantities? If they are used in baking, is there a chicken to Ostrich egg conversion chart?