Facebook and Myspace...

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
They dont HAVE to have me as a friend (that is if I actually had a myspace). Of course that only goes for the older ones. The twins..if they had a myspace, I would probably want to at least see what they were doing on it and they would have to make it a private one.

Claire64

PF Fanatic
Mar 10, 2008
No. I don't have Myspace, I don't even really know how it works. I do have facebook, and my two oldest sons have it as well. I am not their "friend" on facebook, and we all have it set to private. I think the boys are "friends" with each other.

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
No because I am told by said kid that it is the lamest thing ever. But we have strict rules. Privacy settings on at all times. She may only be a cyber friend with someone she knows in the real world & I reserve the right to have a casual look at her page every so often. I guess this really is an individual thing. it depends on how well you feel you know your kids, how much you trust them and how old they are.

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
As long as they are under 18, the answer is yes...as minors, they are still my responsibility, and what they say/do reflects on me. I also have the password, and the right to delete anything I deem inappropriate. My oldest two are both adults now, and they are STILL my friends on those sites...it's one of the ways we stay in touch since they've moved away. On MySpace, my children are my top three friends...in alphabetical order so they can't argue over who I like better.....LOL

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
you guys, i think this might have done been discussed already, aint sure.
. i'm sorry if it has. i been a bit distracted with going back to work since i got over that nasty bug finallly. and after doing nothing but taking care of kids for six years my mind has gotten a little nutty. lol

i'd want complete access too, if my kids were ever allowed on anything like the myspace and facebook. but really--they better not even think about it.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Well I'm in a different generation than you guys so this is hard to answer and relate with you on, and Eli is only a baby lol but the thing is, I've always had a MySpace so if he ever wanted one, I was there first LOL and if anybody else on MySpace can see his page and be his friend, well then so can I. I don't think I'd make him give me his password and fish through his business or anything though. It depends on the kid, really. :) I have friends whose moms have a myspace and are their friend. My Aunt is on my friendslist and if my mom had one, I would totally want her on my friends. I think there's something wrong and even something to be suspicious about if your kids have a problem with you being on their friends list. Most kids I know with parents like that love it lol but I dunno.

Seriously though, that would be so cool if my mom had a MySpace I would message her all the time. :D

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
Im friends with my dads on facebook, but im sure that at 32 and 55/57, that dosent count, ey?

I wouldnt force my kids to be 'facebook friends' with me, and if I were id expect them to block me from seeing things, if they didnt id probably be a little concearned "WHY ARENT MY CHILDREN NORMAL?"

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Why should they block things from you that are viewable to the rest of the world?

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
Xero said:
Why should they block things from you that are viewable to the rest of the world?
Exactly....if they don't want me to see it, then it's probably something they KNOW they shouldn't be posting in the first place.

Lady Karen

PF Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2009
Ohio
<I>I have both facebook &amp; have well over 400+ friends &amp; they are friends of mine that I went to school with along with some friends of my daughters &amp; also my family is there too { husband, sons, daughter in law &amp; brother in law } &amp; I also have myspace ... once again most of the friends there are friends of mine &amp; other's are my daughter's friends who call me mom &amp; then odds &amp; ends ... so it's a lot of fun too !!!</I></SIZE>[/FONT]

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
Because im their mother?

Are you guys telling me that you never ever went out of your way to hide things from your parents that really werent that big of a deal, but because theyre your parents you just dont want them to know?

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Well, I think my mom would automatically think something was up if I hid something from her that I didn't hide from anybody else in the world - my friends, my teachers, strangers in China. It must be pretty bad if you can show it on the world wide web to millions of people if they feel like showing up on your page, but you block your mom from seeing it. If it were me I'd be like - woah what is this instantly before I thought I didn't need to see it.

You know we're talking about a myspace page and blogs and stuff and not e-mail or personal stuff right??? What are you thinking about? Cause I don't think we're on the same page here.

If its not appropriate for my family to see, it's not appropriate for the internet to see, that's how I feel about it and I wont even get in trouble anymore if my mom saw a picture of me smoking a blunt on my MySpace cause I'm all moved out.

It's common sense that if you don't want your mom to see then you really shouldn't have the rest of the world seeing.

I'm beginning to wonder if your parents were like freakishly strict with you or something, so you've got a complex? No offense, you just make it look like that.

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
AmyBelle said:
Because im their mother?

Are you guys telling me that you never ever went out of your way to hide things from your parents that really werent that big of a deal, but because theyre your parents you just dont want them to know?
Oh sure...but then I would share them with my friends, not publish it to the rest of the WORLD. Big difference in telling friends and not parents, or not telling parents but putting it on the internet. JMO.

BentMonk

PF Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2008
Louisville, KY
I have a MySpace and a Facebook account. I don't like MySpace because it's just too cluttered. My daughter is required to have me on her friends list to use MySpace. She knows I keep up with what she does. I trust her, but not the other billion or so freaks online. We've talked about the fact that privacy online is a myth. Anyone at any time can see everything you do online if they want to work hard enough for it. She doesn't mind. I'm also friends with younger cousins and friends from kung fu. Their parents have thanked me for keeping an eye on the kids because they weren't computer saavy enough to do it. I don't read my daughters private messages or email. I'm just keeping an eye on things. Maleia won't say so, but I think she kind of thinks it's cool. She'll post something in a bulliten and say "I know my Dad is going to read this." lol

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
Heh, no Xero, my dads werent freakishly strict with me, infact they were very lax parents.

Maybe this is a cultural difference or something, but I dont understand this constant need to supervise and keep and eye on every single little thing that your kids do/see. How are they supposed to learn if they live their entire lives under mummy/daddy's wing. Then what happens when they leave home? Do you monitor every single activity right up until the day they pack up and leave for college (its common in the US for kids to go and live at college isnt it? I know it isnt here, but thats the impression ive gotten) then suddenly theyre thrown out into the big wide world without a single idea on how to function without being hovered over? In my view that would cause more problems then allowing them a little freedom when theyre younger will cause.

Of course I know were talking about myspace/facebook, im pretty darn sure I actually mentioned facebook by name in my original post. If my daughter dosent want me to see a specific picture or comment or whatever then thats her choice, and I hope that by that age I have given her enough freedom to make her own discisions for her to deal with the concequences to smaller things for her to have the common sense to be able to make larger discisions herself.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Well... I think there was some exaggeration in your description of supervision, but I must say that I will never really understand where you're coming from on this topic. I'm just not sure how - you don't associate children with supervision? That's.... I don't know. It's not unthought of to think your children need a certain amount of supervision for their own safety. I know Australia is far away, but it's not a different planet and I'm pretty sure it's inhabited with humans so I don't think most parents here think too differently than most parents there. We are not talking about watching their every move, and the difference between a kid and a young adult is that a young adult has the mental capabilities to make good decisions based upon the ones you made for them when they were too young to know better. Kids aren't capable of doing that, otherwise they'd be out getting a job and making families at twelve. And they'd be driving cars as soon as their feet could reach the peddles, and they'd be buying cigarettes when they were in for a candy bar at 10, and they'd be at the bar having a beer with the guys at 12. Does that sound silly to you? Well that's why it's illegal up to a certain age. Kids need their limits until they can follow them on their own. We do our best to guide them until they are adults and then they use what they have seen us do to figure it out on their own.

Just because we're making sure our kids are safe on the internet doesn't mean we're sitting in the back of the class at school or hanging out on the couch with them when they're at their friends house, or following them to the movies, or tracing their phone calls or reading their text messages or emails, or blocking everything but Noggin on TV, or tasting their pie before they get to eat it at McDonalds. There's a difference between supervision and overprotective/overbearing. I just don't think you can see the line. Certain things are required to be supervised with your kids because it's your job as a parent to shape them into good people. Believe it or not, they're not born with the instinct to do the right thing. That's why my son pulled the dust container off of the vacuum today and dumped all the dirt on the floor and laughed. He doesn't know better, and it's my job to tell him not to and to watch him to make sure he doesn't do it. Same goes for teens, but different stuff. There's things they think are fun, but they don't really know that certain things have the potential to really hurt them. I will keep an eye on those things, not a super freakishly strict eye, but a casual eye anyway. There's nothing wrong with that, in fact it's completely normal and highly approved of by most.

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
But were not talking about a 2yr old here, were talking about teenagers who need to make their own discisions to learn, they need that time of rebellion, they need to have more freedom than a child.

Facebook and Myspace both state that you must be 13 or over to join, so I assume that were talking about 13+ here. All the examples you provided of things that sound silly are about children under that age, I also dont think that children smoking, drinking and driving under the age of 12, which was the oldest age you mentioned have any relation to a person over the age of 13 hiding a photo or a comment they make to their friends from their parent, which was my point.