Fair or unfair?...

Barbi.doll

PF Regular
Apr 4, 2008
Greater Toronto Area, Ontario
My daughter is in JK, loves it. Daycare on her days out of school, loves that too. The daycare and the school are attached and somewhat work together, but not really affiliated.

My daughter comes home with school papers and newsletters and all kinds of info for the parents. Usually she has no idea about what these letters say, in fact, she's never known anything about what is in these letters.

A few weeks ago, I pick her up and while she's in the backseat she's struggling with excitement to get this letter out of her bag. She starts rambling on about this FREE skating thing with FREE hot chocolate. It's quite evident that she's overly eager to attend.

While stopped, I take a look at the paper to find that this free skating day is on a Sunday when she will be with her father two hours from home. I knew it was going to break her heart when I had to tell her about this. So, I did come up with a solution which was to call her father and his family to see if they would be able to take her skating. At first that was not a consolation to her as she was like "but what about the FREE hot chocolate" so I explained that we can get her some hot chocolate no matter what.

So, even though I know there was no intended harm by telling her, I think the teacher should be a little more aware that not all kids are able to attend these types of things. If it's something happening during school hours, I can understand them telling the kids as the majority can attend, but why tell a 4 year old about this type of thing when the teacher doesn't know jack about her schedule outside of school. Also, I don't know how to skate, so even if she would have been home, I would have had to make arrangements (and I would have tried) to get someone who can skate to take her.

Oh, and I sent a little note to the school after this incident asking the teacher nicely and politely to not tell her about things that are being done on the weekend for this exact reason. I acknowledged that I knew the teacher had no bad intentions and all, but to understand our situation.

Then a couple weeks later, she comes home with another letter that she knows about regarding bringing your pets from home to school to meet the class. OK...great education, however, I have 2 cats, one adult male and 1 kitten who was just neutered and had been spraying all over my house. The kitten is AMAZING with my daughter, they're best friends. And yes, it's a cute idea and great learning for those kids, but A)what about allergies? I have to pay attention to everything I buy for school food because of peanut allergies, but they don't have enough decency to inquire about kids animal allergies before arranging this type of thing. and B) in order for me to take the cat or cats in, i have to arrange time off work, stay there while the animal is there and then return the animal home - not an easy task for me.

I tried once again to come up with an alternative solution - told her we could by a siamese fighting fish and she could take him into school and she could even keep him in her room when she brought him home - nope, that didn't jive with her - her heart is set on taking the kitten to class.

The other thing was this letter they sent home asking for $2 for a "bullying workshop" - I didn't think much of it, but apparantly, when the kids that attend the daycare came back from school on the day they had this workshop, they were misusing the word "bullying" and were using it to describe the most simple forms of child conflict. The daycare was very alarmed as they were not informed or invited to attend this workshop and now had to deal with the after affects. Most of the young ones that attended this were too young to understand how to identify the form of bullying in the same context as being taught about at the workshop.

Obviously I haven't been involved with the school system that long, but I'm a little ticked about these two situations. I've also brought up some of my concerns to the staff at the daycare, they too have some issues with the school and how the school operates with the children.

Would like some others opinions on all of this.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I see why you are concerned in all these examples but I am not sure what the school can do about it. I agree that hyping them up about an after school event is bad, but in less then a year your dd will be reading these things on her own anyways. Also kids will talk about it in front of her, so either way she is going to know about it and want to do it. ya know? I think the best way to handle it is by doing exactly what you did. Tell her that she can go out and get hot chocolate but unfortuantely she can't go, but she is going to have a greta time at dads, kinda thing.

As far as the animals go, that is a good question you brought up about allergies. Some people are severely allergic and just being in the same room can cause asthma attacks, so not sure what to think there

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
First of all no matter how hard it is you are going to have to tell her no from time to time and just leave it at that. I understand your beef with the school but if it isn't the skating, hot chocolate, or show and tell it will be something else that she wants and can't have.

As a parent you don't like seeing your kids disappointed but quite frankly their expectations are way to high most of the time.

I'm sure other parents are having to deal with the same problems. I would ask their opinions. Two parents addressing a concern with hold more weight than one. If it is just you complaining they will assume you are just being difficult but if multiple parents complain they will realize that have an issue that needs to be taken care of.

Barbi.doll

PF Regular
Apr 4, 2008
As a parent you don't like seeing your kids disappointed but quite frankly their expectations are way to high most of the time.
Great point!
And yes, I've thought about the whole concept that she's going to have to hear no from me and going to have to deal with disappointments.

I can't say though that I can team up with another parent on issues. I work from 9-5, she gets taken to school from daycare, I rarely enter the actual school. Most of the other parents are chinese, and there are many language barriers. It's a predominately chinese neighbourhood. Also, it's very upper class, and being it is that I have a 4.5 year old, and I'm only 28, most of the parents around there are at least 10 years older than me. I get looks and so feel like the other mothers don't talk to me because they think I'm some competition, and the fathers don't talk to me cuz the wives are gossiping about me at home. I don't know. Plus, they probably think I'm 5 years younger than I am. I stick out like a sore thumb at both the daycare and the school (kinda another thread altogether) - but ya, I don't know the parents of any of her classmates, only 3 of her schoolmates are in her daycare and none of those parents I know, as well, they pick their kids up much earlier than I do, so I don't even see them.

It's a huge community that is not closely knit at all. Just that type of town. You can live in a house for 10 years and not know your neighbours name, let alone ever speak to them.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
I agree with Good Wolf. Just tell your kid "No." They need to learn about disappointment, and that they can't always get what they want.

My kid comes home all the time with papers about booksales, gymnastic classes, etc...we can't possibly afford these things. We just say no, and that's that. After a 15 minutes, he forgets all about it anyway. :p

Heck...my 5 year old starts soccer tomorrow which he's super excited about, but I guarantee 3 games into the season and he'll be whining about going because he would rather play with toys. That's just how kids are.

They need to learn about commitments, money...and that they can't get what they want. If you're consistent with her...she should adapt no problem.

And I guess the answer to your post would be "yes"...it's not the school's fault you can't just tell your kid no. lol

Barbi.doll

PF Regular
Apr 4, 2008
And I guess the answer to your post would be "yes"...it's not the school's fault you can't just tell your kid no. lol
I know you meant "you CAN just tell your kid no - and you know the more I think about it, it's just been easier to blame the school for causing my daughter disappointment, but really, you are all right, she's going to have to learn to deal with disappointments anyway. The tough thing is, I know that, but I just want to avoid her having to experience it as much as I can, and it's only been a few months of dealing with the school system, so all in all, I guess I'm learning what to expect from them - causing all kinds of bs that I get to clean up - part of my job as a parent that I am just beginning to experience! LOL

Bring on the s**t - I've got rubber gloves and a garbage bag - why - cuz that's part of Mom's job!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Yeah I guess I agree with those guys, you really have to get used to that kind of thing. It wont be long and she can read those flyers herself! But just like we can't always do everything anybody offers us to do, neither can they and they'll have to learn that. My littlest brother used to bring that kind of stuff home all the time and sometimes he couldn't go, it's just a part of life I suppose...it's one of those saddening parts of being a parent I think. I don't look forward to it haha. It's frustrating when you can't let them enjoy life as much as possible... :(

Shari Nielsen

PF Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2008
CT
My daughters 7.5 & 6 come home w/ stuff CONSTANTLY! They even get pamphlets about extra stuff for the activities they are already signed up for! For instance, they go to gymnastics every Mon. At least 2x a month, they come home w/ pamphlets about "parents night out", exhibitions where everyone gets a trophy, specific clinics about cartwheels, etc. It's crazy! And of course the staff at the gymnastics place hypes the kids up pretty good before they even give them the flier to give to me.

They are also involved in Brownies and unfortunately, a lot of the activities they do fall on the weekends when they are also at their dad's about 3 hours away. Many times I need to tell them that they can't go and they just need to learn to deal w/ it. Even kids birthday parties...my kids come home all excited w/ bday party invitations that they probably can't attend b/c they are on the weekends when they are at their dad's.

It was probably tougher on me to tell them no initially than on them to hear and deal w/ it (they get over things quickly). Now it's not so bad. Unfortunately, you will have to deal w/ this sort of thing for the next 15-16 years! It will get easier over time, trust me!

Barbi.doll

PF Regular
Apr 4, 2008
Thanks Shari, it's helping hearing that everyone else knows where I'm at! LOL...like I said in the other post - I guess I'm going just learning this area of parenting! By grade 1 I should be real used to it all!