feeding children...

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
So. What is it that you guys feed your kids? Up until 9 months ago my fridge contained lean quizine, a half bottle of chardonnay and some expired cocktail olives. Perhaps the ingredients for a tuna salad and cup a soup. This was fine because I would live off food others cooked (restaurants, my sister and mother)

Obviously I have enough of a clue to know you cant feed children in such a fashion so try to shop like a sensible adult but am the world's worst cook. As we are getting sick of pasta, tacos and just raw veges with dip type of meals and cant just call for pizza every other night I thought I would do a little comparison. How much on average to you guys eat out or order in? how do you keep variety in your kids diet? Do you have any standbys for when their friends come over? Also what do you serve their friends parents? One mom actually baked cookies when I picked my niece up. Is this common or is she a super parent? I am curious. Curious and as you may have gathered a little neurotic<EMOJI seq="1f609">:wink:</EMOJI>

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
Well my daughter is much younger so as far as quick easy meals for her, she does a gerber graduate but for the other stuff its similar. I don't cook a lot right now as our oven is broke so for baking I use the toast er oven (it's a super nice one and we cook almost everything in it that we did in the stove, except pot roast, turkeys that kinda stuff, it's just not big enough. So lets see easy meals:

Spaghetti (put some carrots in it if you feel you need more veggies in your diet)
backed chicken is supper easy, just get a marinade if you are not good at seasoning, the stick it in the fridge the night before of if you are in a hurry, even 15 minutes is fine, then just bake it.
Chili is much easier then some people think, I cna give you recipees if you want.
shake and bake on pork chops is good
bake pork chops and a can of cream of mushroom soup together for about an hour is yummy, then have mashed potatoes and corn (one of hubbys faves)

foods for when friends come over:
Tostinos pizza pockets, or english muffin pizzas are easy and the kids can make it themselves. Fruit salad is yummy and healthy

as far as the friend's mom making cookies, thats a super mom, lol nah she probably just had some and thought it would be nice. It would not be expected from most kids I am sure

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
tacos are fun and easy...we do whole wheat soft shells
meatloaf is easy and kids usually love it
I love my crock pot for pot roast and other meals when the day will be very busy
we do breakfast for dinner too, that's fun

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
We almost never eat out, and we only order in once or twice a month. We have chicken, steak, pork chops, ribs, roasts, pasta, soups, stews.....I have a HUGE collection of cookbooks and am always trying something new. When the friends come over, they are welcome to any of the snacks we have here at that time. When parents pick up children, there usually aren't any snacks offered, as it's usually just a quick beep of the horn and the child runs out to the car. LOL

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
Allrecipes.com is a great site. Sometimes if I am feeling uninspired I'll go there and just type in chicken and voila- every chicken recipe I could think of. I feed my kids chicken, steak, sausages, pasta, tons of veggies, casseroles, rice, meatloaf. I have a collection of cookbooks. I keep pudding, string cheese, bagels, fresh veggies and fruits on hand for the kids and their friends. With cooking after you get some practice in you'll get better I promise.

he.loves.her

PF Regular
Feb 27, 2008
Iowa
Hi. I'm a young dad and basically I have no idea what I'm doing. What should I be feeding my daughter? She's alergic to gluten... So that's hard I guess. Basically I don't know what I should be feeding her. She's 17 months now.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
this link is much better http://www.celiac.com/categories/Gluten%252dFree-Recipes/Gluten%252dFree-Kids-Recipes/[/URL] anything here will be ok for her. At her age it's hit or miss what she will eat. You will have to try different things and find out together what she likes. She'll let you know

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I'll look some more tomorrow too, there are only a couple things there tomorrow I will be able to poke around a little better

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
here's some great information and a few pages in there are some really good meal ideas http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/internet/digestive-health/nutritionarticles/SharrettArticle207.pdf[/URL]

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I always make sure mine have a protein, veggie and a desert and a glass of milk. I stray from any fast foods and processed meats. They eat pretty healthy. We still halloween candy (I get into that)lol