Fenugreek and Birth Control??...

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
I am making an appointment soon with my obgyn to see about starting the minipill as I've read its the least likely to affect my milk. However, I really need to up my supply to keep up with DS, so I've ordered some Fenugreek and it should be here around the middle of the week. Does anyone know if there is any reason why I shouldn't be taking it while I'm on birth control?

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
My friend took both.
Just make sure you are taking enough fenugreek. You have to take A LOT!! And you might smell like syrup lol, but it does work. Also nurse nurse nurse nurse nurse!!!! If you can't nurse pump some, just to stimulate!!
oh also things that hekp are lots of water, and nursing!! lol

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
Lol, DS is definitely satisfied when nursing, my problem is I'm not keeping up with what he eats when I'm at work. I can only pump once at work since I'm only working part time and the break I do get is not one owed to me. I was pumping 5 oz in about 10 minutes at first but now I'm down to 2-3 oz after 20 minutes. So I'm having to get up at night and pump and it's wearing me out.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
Thats why my friend took it as well. She is military and could only pump once or twice.
I didn't have to pump but the few times I did (stopped since dd refused bottles) I was able to hand express soooo much easier and quicker. You may want to try it once. That and make sure you are pumping as much as you can on your days off, that way you have some back up

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
lol, I am completely oblivious as to how you are <I>supposed</I> to hand express, but when I've tried it did <I>not</I> work, haha.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
lol, you just squeeze and pull a bit lol, if you can't though, don't most woman do better with the pump anyways, just not me!
What type of pump do you use?

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
Kaytee said:
lol, you just squeeze and pull a bit lol, if you can't though, don't most woman do better with the pump anyways, just not me!
What type of pump do you use?

To be honest I don't know :eek: It's a Medela that WIC gave me, It's a double pump, though which is good because if I only pump one side(had to do this for a month with a manual pump) the other side leaks the whole time and I feel like I'm wasting it, lol.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
well you have a good pump then, so no worries there. I would definately take the fenegreek then. Just remember you have to take like 6-8 a day or something like that. I don't know off hand

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
Oh LORD! I took that stuff too. I took two or three pills twice a day or three times a day. And I stopped and my milk went down. I'm about ready to give up on the breastfeeding soon. It's so much hard work and the pumping at work is getting hard for me to keep up with. The only reason I don't want to stop is because DD loves it so much.

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
I just wanted to add that I know a few adoptive mothers who produced milk to feed their new babies...

Fenugreek coupled with marshmallow root and nipple stimulation worked for both of them... VERY well... Those two things together could really help you up your milk production, and they are totally natural, so they won't affect the pill :)

Good luck!

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
AnKsMommy said:
Oh LORD! I took that stuff too. I took two or three pills twice a day or three times a day. And I stopped and my milk went down. I'm about ready to give up on the breastfeeding soon. It's so much hard work and the pumping at work is getting hard for me to keep up with. The only reason I don't want to stop is because DD loves it so much.
Don't give up, You are doing so good!!!! What an amazing gift you are giving your dd.
My good friend that is in the military, also pumped at work,. She could only do it every so often. She did end up suplementing one bottle a day with formula at day care. Her dd was 8 or 9 months I think. She never had to do any more then that.
Some women will also nurse when they are home but give formula when they are work. All breast milk is best, but even some is GREAT!!!