field of nightmares...

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
I thought it might be a good idea to coach my nieces soccer team so I could spend more time with her. I figured it was an interest of hers & there was no one else to do it.
Unfortunately I now know why no one else put their hand up. We have some parents who are so hysterical in their cheering youd think we are the nicks. Others can become angry if they don't feel their daughter gets enough playing time.
I said that my door is always open & 1 mother calls ALL the time
I try to vary it so that even the worst players are not just warming the bench. I figure it is about encouraging kids to do their best & get some exercise but it seems not all take this phlosophy. Any tips from any other amateur coaches?

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I've never been a coach but I figure I would add my 2 cents anyways...lol I say stand your ground and don't let the parents change your mind. you're totally right about the kids doing their best and allow even the worst players to get some field time.

Claire64

PF Fanatic
Mar 10, 2008
I've never coached soccer, just basketball, but my oldest son Ryan coaches two teams. He coaches under 10 and under 12. At the first practice, he told all the players and the parents, that if one of the kids felt like they weren't getting enough playing time, for the kid to talk to him, not the parent.

Parents are crazy about sports, and soccer is one of the worst. Mainly because the parents think they know better than the coach. I agree with Fallon that you shouldn't let the parents change your coaching style, you're doing the right thing.