Filtering the Internet...

bingo296

Aug 16, 2012
Does anybody have experience with Internet filters for in-home use? The kids each have their own accounts, but do not have administrative access. However, we've only been able to find filters that filter ALL accounts or ones that can be turned off, with or without admin access.

Any suggestions? We would prefer free, but are willing to pay if it's noticeably
better.
<URL url="http://www.fosterparentforum.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&amp;p=3606">

Cartter

Sep 10, 2012
new york
The best software out there for internet filtering is the net nanny parental control, you should check that out.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
My experience is that they are not where they need to be. I have had a couple of the set up at times. And I find myself constantly having to allow everyday stuff. When I say constantly I mean constantly.

I currently rely on checking histories. Having access to him while he is surfing and other method's of over-site.

csdax

PF Enthusiast
May 5, 2012
Ontario, Canada
My kids are too young to be surfing yet, but when they do, I won't be using filters. If they're old enough to be looking for unsavory stuff deliberately, then filters won't be very effective - they'll find a way around it. If they're young enough that I'm worried about them finding something by accident, then I wouldn't be letting them surf unsupervised anyway.

I think the most effective 'filter' would be to have the computer in a public place, like the kitchen.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
I currently rely on checking histories.
Histories can be deleted. They can be evaded by using "in private" browsing. And websites can be individually deleted from the history. This is the only way I am able to do any online Christmas shopping for my nosy husband.

I agree with cdax to a certain degree. There are some things I wouldn't want my children browsing, but for the most part, I know that accessing information is inevitable and not necessarily bad. I also think kids, especially teens, need some degree of privacy. My parents respected that (as far as I know) and it never got me into any trouble.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
We have one computer for everyone to use and it is in the loungeroom.

In a house of 8, you really get no privacy.

Violet has a laptop though that her and Dita use wherever they want, I don't care about that though.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
akmom said:
Histories can be deleted. They can be evaded by using "in private" browsing. And websites can be individually deleted from the history. This is the only way I am able to do any online Christmas shopping for my nosy husband.

I agree with cdax to a certain degree. There are some things I wouldn't want my children browsing, but for the most part, I know that accessing information is inevitable and not necessarily bad. I also think kids, especially teens, need some degree of privacy. My parents respected that (as far as I know) and it never got me into any trouble.
Yeah I know. But #1 he cant remember where he left his second shoe half the time. I would guess if he was responsible for deleting his history every time he surfs at least I should be happy he is responsible about something. If I do check history (which I did last week) I do it when he is actively surfing. With him in the room. And I frequently do the "Pop in" when he is online.

Also we have a never ending dialog about how the internet is not private at all. I really have a problem letting them think it is. Believing the internet is private seems to get a lot of adults in trouble.

A good friend of mine son was into magic. He was very good I might add. Anyway he searched online about how to make flash powder. She had the ATF at her door a couple of days later. They searched the house and his locker at school. This is not a story I read about. Its one I was there for (she was a coworker). She said that he is flagged now. Whatever that means.

I am kinda surprised the IT folks here don't back me up more. I mention its inherit lack of privacy every chance I get. The reason its a hot topic for me is I was fired one time for hacking our company computers. It did not take them long to figure out I was not that smart and they brought me back the same day. But they for sure dug through every single byte on my computer.

Just a couple of weeks ago on that "Dallas Cheerleader" Show they rejected a girl because she had posted derogatory comments about the Cowboys on her FB in HS or college.

For me at least its not about disrespecting their privacy. Its about learning the "rules of the road"

http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/10-reasons-why-nothing-you-do-on-the-internet-will-ever-be-private-again[/url]

Last edited:

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
All true, bssage. I guess when I said "privacy," I meant something more like letting kids send off an e-mail to a friend without Mom and Dad reading it. I just never cared for the peering-over-the-shoulder routine.