First grade card/parent teachers conference....

NinJaBob

PF Addict
Sep 29, 2008
Ohio
My son is in Kindergarten. He also suffers from focal seizures. Basically it's seziures in one part of the body.

Anyway he did well across the board except for fine motor skills. We're thinking that this may be because of the seizures. He has them often but they don't show any physical signs. This might be hampering his development somewhat. So we collected some of his work and we are taking it to his Neurologist. Honestly I don't like or trust his Neurologist and I am looking for another type of professional to help with this problem. Not sure where to turn. His Neurologistjust wants to keep medicating him and I'm not sure thats the answer. He does need the medication to control the seizures but there has to be another answer.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note we work with him on this quite a bit. It's not for a lack of trying.

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
Do you want to go to a different neurologist? If so you could always have a doctor recommend someone other than the current one. If you're not comfortable with asking then you could always go in the phone book/on the internet and look for one, try that doctor out.

How do you not trust this Neurologist? Do you think he's putting him on the wrong medication? Or is it just you get a bad feeling about him.

By the way, if it's a bad feeling, I wouldnt let my kids see him. I want to be absolutely certain my childs doctor know's what's best for them, and that they are doing everything in their power to protect them.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Former K teacher here. I have no knowledge concerning focal seizures, but it's not uncommon for Kindergarteners to have difficulty with fine motor skills. It may or may not be related to his seizures, but it could simply be a normal developmental issue.

Playing with manipulative toys helps strengthen fine motor skills. Legos, blocks, puzzles, stringing beads, drawing/painting on an easel, play doh, tracing, cutting, pasting, etc..

Have you considered getting a second opinion from a different Neurologist?

NinJaBob

PF Addict
Sep 29, 2008
Ohio
Father_0f_6 said:
Do you want to go to a different neurologist? If so you could always have a doctor recommend someone other than the current one.
Yes I want to switch doctors. My wife likes him but I made it clear to her last night just how I feel about him. When I told her before she just kind of ignored me. But last night she finally got it.

Father_0f_6 said:
How do you not trust this Neurologist? Do you think he's putting him on the wrong medication? Or is it just you get a bad feeling about him.
I think that he has my child's welfare in mind but he's kind of a condescending jerk. He really talks down to my wife and I. Also whenever we have brought up any kind of alternative treatment he just looked at us as if we were stupid and said that he didn't think that it was necessary. Also his answer to everything is medication. Certainly medication helps but there's gotta be something else we can do like occupational therapy or something.

We are going to look for another Doctor if his attitude and treatment doesn't change after this next visit which will be here shortly.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Phil All I am seeing is meds and surgery for this type of thing. here is a link Seizures and Epilepsy: Hope Through Research: National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) to the national instute.

It has been my experience that a lot of the best doctors have the worst bedside manor. They are generally very bookish types. I would check his references before giving him the heave ho. I would also look into some of the university hospitals. They may be more open to newer types of treatments. I see there is a whole new class of drugs they are treating this disorder with. There are times when personalities clash. I would advise, take a couple of steps back and look at this from a strictley analitical perspective.

He may be the best then again he may not. It sounds like this disorder can become a very very bad thing. Proceed with caution and put some bullets in your gun (research). I personally am a big fan of the Mayo clinic.

this is just IMhO
I hope things work out well
Bryan