First time pregnant and maybe lil overwhelmed...

Angel

PF Regular
Jul 22, 2010
East TN
Hello all,

I just joined here today, I guess so that I can get some "expert" advise.

I'm pregnant for the first time even thou we kinda "planned" for it its happened a LOT quicker then anyone thought and even thou I am super happy right now I'm feeling overwhelmed at the same time as to whether or not I'm doing all the right things.

So everybody/ everything said when you get of the BC it can take anywhere from 6-12 months ... yea well not in my case, make it 4 weeks, which is a happy surprise.
However since I was set on waiting longer I now have to quit smoking from one day to the next which I really feel like someone's torturing me and its not easy to be honest....Anyone any tips for me to be 'calmer' and stay away from these cigarettes?
I'm a vegetarian so I eat PLENTY of fresh fruits, veggies, cheese as it is but I'm worried will this be sufficient or do I in fact 'need' meat? The Doc gave me prenatal plus vitamins right now.
I won't be going back to the Doc for all kinds blood work etc until Aug 5th, which will make me about 4 weeks along - Will that be fine / too late?
Right now I'm feeling fine apart from sleeping quite some more/ easily exhausted and running to the restroom wayyyy more then usual but from what I understand that's only normal.
Is there anything I could/ should do to make sure the lil bugger has a good development from the start now?
And my last question for right now, is anyone out there pregnant with low sugar as well? My low sugar has been under control & just fine for many years by eating right but I'm afraid this may change now?

I'm sorry I am rambling on like this and I'm sure a lot of you experienced mom's out there will laugh about this now but I have sooo many questions on my mind right now and I don't really wanna talk to any family / friends until its "safe".

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Congrats Angel.

There are a fair number of 'clued in" dads here as well.

It sounds like you're dong all the right things. I think the folate in the prenatals and getting rid of the cigarettes are the best things you can do right now. You'll be fine until the 4th, don't stress about it. Keep eating as healthy as you can. I don't see any reason you NEED, there have been plenty of vegetarian moms (although I've never known a vegetarian smoker...) Sure you need some good protein and B vitamins, but you don't have to get those from meat. Talk with your doc about your concerns. If you do anything at all different with your diet, I'd probably add as much protein as I could and your dark green leafies, and relax and be happy. This is an event (and it's your little secret right now, which I fully support - we didn't announce until end of first trimester the first pregnancy, we got lax and announced at about 6 wks on the 2nd and DW misscarried, so that created some unnecessary awkwardness. You're never fully "safe,' I mean none of us are ever fully safe, any of us could get hit by a bus, but holding off announcing until statistis are more on your side is wise IMHO.) You'll never be pregnant the first time agian, so really try to cherish it.

As for cigarettes, consider it a blessing and I hope you don't go back to them after the birth. Your baby is your best support for changing this behavior, focus on her - you simply can't smoke and be doing everything you can for her - the two don't mix. I quit tobacco a couple off times before it "took" and for me It goes back to buying it. You have to tell yourself, "I won't buy those, I don't do that any more. " Once you do that, then you don't have them around to be tempted with and you're building the notion that you are a "non-smoker." Keep thinking of yourself as a "non-smoker" rather than and "ex-smoker" It's a subtle difference, but it's one that works for me.

The other suggestion is to replace a bad habit with a good one. So, when you have cravings, do something good for yourself - go for a walk, eat a healthy snack, drink some water, and clue someone in that youre doing it so they can help, so when you panic that you really want a cigarette, they can help remind you of the good option to choose. FYI, I've been tobacco free for about 9 years, I still have cravings, so epect them to never go away.

Angel

PF Regular
Jul 22, 2010
East TN
That's cool, somehow I guess it was only mom's here so common out daddy's and help me out :)

Yea I guess I'm doing well with the foods and everything I do eat comes from our garden anyway so all fresh, no chemicals on there nadda, just rainwater :) but I figured there's always room for improvement :D

Yea that smoking matter is quite evil but I have non at the house and live in the stix anyway so at least that buying temptation ain't great.

Somehow I just easily get overwhelmed right now whether its the baby doing this to me or the non smoking I donno, maybe both; but I'm used to hardcore stressful jobs and just now I had to handle some super simple insurance stuff for the baby and just cause I hadn't gotten the needed answer on the first call and needed to call someone else - I cried just like that for no apparent reason, pretty nuts huh?

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I hate to blame hormones, but that sounds like hormones...don't stress about it, it'll change. things were way different for DW second trimester and then different last trimester, lots of good, nott all scary crying panic stuff, so hang in there.

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
wow running to the toilet already, that didn't happen to me until a bit later in my pregnancies. it was worse when i was pregnant with my son than my daughter though he just have sat down over the bladder more than she did or something..

it sounds to me like your doing everything fine, good for you giving up smoking and i hope you can keep at it.. and try not to let your emotions take over when you feel yourself getting stressed out just try to take a step back from the situation, take some deep breaths and re evaluate when your calmer... no use starting petty and stressful fights with your partner when not needed. and stress isn't good for bub either..

x

Angel

PF Regular
Jul 22, 2010
East TN
Well so far I'm sticking to the non-smoking ...sticking to it...not saying its easy......I hope I can keep it up.
No, no fight here, just like I described crying over nothing really which even surprised myself cause I'm normally not like that.
I am finding myself the past 2-3 days here eating a TON of cheese, I always liked cheese but the amounts i'm eating now are ridiculous, but I guess its also good source of calcium so why not :)

The only thing that really 'bothers' me is being so dang sleepy 24/7 I can do like 1-2 thing, drop dead & take a nap, do 1-2 more things, drop dead and take a nap.....Please tell me this will change and not stay that way for the next 9mos?

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Angel said:
The only thing that really 'bothers' me is being so dang sleepy 24/7 I can do like 1-2 thing, drop dead & take a nap, do 1-2 more things, drop dead and take a nap.....Please tell me this will change and not stay that way for the next 9mos?

The sleepiness will go away at about the 2-3 month mark, but it does come back towards the end....I think it is natures way of preparing us for the late night wake up's.

Congrat's on the new baby. I know you introduced yourself somewhere but I can't find it know so...

Welcome I am Jennifer a Sahm to 8 ranging in age from 19-8 months.

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
there's good stuff?! Just kidding! there are plenty of good things!

But about the smoking. What really helped for me was chewing on something (ANYTHING) when I felt a craving. I really liked plastic straws and toothpicks. But I really don't know how good that is for your teeth. Chewing gum really helped too. Just regular chewing gum.

Also, i'm sure you could find a forum or something online with other people who have/trying to quit smoking.

Angel

PF Regular
Jul 22, 2010
East TN
Mom2many awesome that sounds good I really do wanna do stuff but am wayyy tired at the same time right now, drives me kinda nuts. So I guess the time inbetween sleep "month" I'll then use to get the nursery ready :)

Iadad yes please tell me ALL about the good stuff :)

Fatherof7 yea trust me right now I'm chewing on just about anything all the time, cheese, gum, tons baby carrots today.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Well, I can't tell you ALL about the good stuff without getting "indescrete."

But, let's just say that some women get "extra amorous" while pregnant....it was the case during DWs first pregnancy, for most of the second and third trimesters. Now, she didn't have the same feeling the second time around, so I guess it varies some, just like all hormonally driven stuff.

other good stuff, you'll probably get gushier over kids at the mall, moms with new babies, etc.

and then there's nesting, that can be pretty sweet, spending time, making everything just right for the new arrival.

Those are some of the things I can think of now.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
Angel I'm so happy for you. Congratulations.

I had a very wonderful pregnancy. I never felt better in my whole life than when I was pregnant. I worked up to 2 weeks before my due date, it was such a nice experience. Treasure it.

I was also smoking than, and the great news about that was I became completely turned off from it. I could 't even put a cig in my mouth if I wanted to...I guess it was just mother nature's way of preventing me from putting anything unhealthy in my body.

The same thing happened with coffee, which I love more that I did smoking cigarettes, I couldn't drink it anymore, just turned off. So that may happen to you too.

Best wishes to you, and use this forum to help you each step of the way,
there are lots of good advisers here.:notworthy:

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
my little one came early so i ended up working until just over one week before she was born lol... i loved it, i didn't really get too tired, i guess i did a bit but nothing unmanageable and working in childcare was great for me because i looked at all the mums bringing in babies and was like i wonder if she will look like that, what colour will her hair be etc lol it was fun..

it's exciting to feel the first kicks.. my baby boy Felix managed to get his foot under my ribcage or something when i was pregnant with him so when he kicked it hurt like a mother lol but litle Alegra was a lot gentler with mummies body haha

Angel

PF Regular
Jul 22, 2010
East TN
NanctM did the stop smoking like that work for you this way from day one? I feel totally awful I been giving it my all to not smoke since I found out earlier this week but I have to admit I had 1 cigarette today, which I guess still is better then the whole pack I used to smoke but it made me feel completely like the world worst mom ever after I had this cig today, quitting does not come all that easy to me right now and I hate it, I don't wanna smoke cause I know its bad for the baby.....

Well on the up side of things, I don't work, so at least that whole part I don't even have to worry about, I can spent my time baby shopping, getting nursery ready, try see if I can find parenting classes here in town, some "sports" classes whatever they may offer here for mom's to be that's what I wanna go do :)
This coming week for me is all about not smoking & eating well. Then the doc app on the 5th and after that decide which of the 2 spare rooms I'll turn into a nursery and how I wanna paint it etc.

I think even thou its been a few days since the test now, it still has not fully sunk in for hubby nor me what's about to happen here :)

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
for me it took til I was 20 weeks for it to truely sink in that I was pregnant! haha. but it was definately a wonderful experience and I'd give anything to be able to do i again.

Welcome to the forum Angel. Hope to see you posting lots :)

FO6...u changed ur name! lol. I was confused for a second when ur name said "Father_Of_7" haha...just a blond moment.

Cazeur

Jul 21, 2010
Kent. UK
Many congratulations on your pregnancy. I can still remember the over whelming feeling when we fell pregnant. I wanted to scream from the roof tops!

Well done for the healthy eating and non smoking. Try to relax now and look after yourself and the baby will be looked after perfectly well by you. :) I am a great believer that the baby feeds off of the mum's emotions, so if you relax you should have a relaxed, healthy pregnancy.

Just to let you know, I am a nurse and when I did my midwifery stint of my training we were asked to feel the placenta of a mother who was a smoker and a mother who was a non smoker. The smokers placenta was dull and grey to look at and gritty to touch. The mum who was a non smoker had a pink and bright looking placenta that was beautifully smooth to touch. This is the baby's lifeline so I think that pretty much would put anyone off smoking, so keep up the good work!

Lots of luck and keep us posted on your progress. :)

Angel

PF Regular
Jul 22, 2010
East TN
Today is a good day for me!
Not smoking seems easier on my brains and I am less sleepy then I had been the past week, lil more energy goes a long way.

Does anyone have some nursery ideas for me, colors, patterns???? Anything? I looked online for ideas and couldn't really find anything.

octomom1990

Banned
Jul 25, 2010
don't drink and smoke and then chicken out half way through the pregnancy because youll end up with my kid