Flea Question...

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Anyone know anything to use to get rid of fleas on kittens?

I know you can't use flea dip until they're over 6 months (They're only like 3 months) and someone told me to use Dawn dishsoap, but it didn't work.

My cats are in and out as they please. Even if I kept the kittens inside, the mama and papa come in and out as they please and would bring them back in. But they're getting them bad, and I need to find out how to get rid of them before they get any worse.

Any ideas?

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
I've used that stuff "Frontline". It's a small drop of liquid that you put on the back of the cat's neck. I would use that on all of your cats. But, you're also probably going to have to flea bomb your house to get rid of the existing fleas and eggs.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Well, that's what we normally use on the cats, or the stuff we get from the vet, Advantix, I think it's called. But I've not put any on my mama cat because the kittens still occasionally come and nurse (I don't know why she's not completely weened them off) and I'm scared they'll get it through her milk.

Can I use that even though they're only 3 months?

button611

PF Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2008
Just curious if you are still having flea problems? I have been out of this site for a while and just now saw this thread. I am a vet tech for an all cat hospital and can highly recommend either Frontline or Advantage. Depending on how bad the kittens have fleas you will proabably need to flea bomb your house as well, because fleas can live dormant in your carpets and furniture for up to 6-8 mos. after your pet has been treated. I would also NEVER recommend flea collars, they don't work at all so don't even waste your money-they only cover the area just around your cats neck and fleas like to move all over the kitty. Fleas can be a tough problem to treat but if you take every precaution (topical treatment as well as environmental treatment) you should be fine and I would make sure that your cats are treated monthly as long as you continue to let them outdoors. Good luck and let me know if I can be of any more assisatance.