Food Allergy Info and Avoidance Lists...

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Since my daughter has a cough that will not go away and it's only in her throat and in her sinus passage they are going to start her on allergy testing.
I haven't researched yet what they do for that. I just don't want a ton of pins and needles poking her.
They test certain things specifically for Florida.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
it will most likely be a skin test and they are not so bad. Nichole cried (had 17) for about 1 minute and then was fine. Of course if they test postive its very uncomfy

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I don't know what "Florida" testing is. Maybe mold? Or pollen?
I know she has to be allergic to something. When we go to the beach she gets like a fungus rash.
I got a UV light for the a/c, hepa filters for their rooms..........this is like chasing a ghost.
So you don't think they will stick her with needles?

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
You're welcome, fallon. I also sent this to the school nurse and she was psyched. This is the first time I've seen such extensive avoidance lists for all the common food allergies.

musicmom, both my kids have been through allergy testing more than once. For them it wasn't a big deal, but I've heard horror stories from other parents. Our Asthma/Allergy practice is very good with kids. They also don't use the long needles I've heard about. Yikes! They use a rectangular device that has many small needle pricks on it. This is gently pressed against the skin. Not a fun activity, mind you, but not traumatic either.

FWIW, my DD had a similar frequent cough. In her case it turned out to be allergies: dogs and tree pollen. Claritin (OTC) worked for a couple years, but now she's on Allegra. Singulair did nothing for her and Zyrtec (newly OTC) turned her into a monster child. Our allergist said Singulair doesn't work for 40% of his patients, and Zyrtec does have a negative behavioral affect on some kids.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
musicmom said:
I don't know what "Florida" testing is. Maybe mold? Or pollen?
I know she has to be allergic to something. When we go to the beach she gets like a fungus rash.
I got a UV light for the a/c, hepa filters for their rooms..........this is like chasing a ghost.
So you don't think they will stick her with needles?
there will most likely be needles involved but it's more of a prick or a scratch then a poke

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
it does look worse then it is, but really its not that bad. Its not even as bad as like the little finger pricks they do. That hurts a lot worse.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
musicmom said:
OMG! I don't know if I can do that to her :(
Believe me, I felt the same way, but at some point it's necessary for the sake of their health. (Oh God, yulia is going to jump all over this. :rolleyes:) The first time DS went through testing was after his first anaphylactic shock, which almost killed him. We had to pin point what the allergen was so that we could avoid it. Later both kids developed asthma. Again, we had to find out what they were allergic to so that we could take the proper precautions.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
So yours ended up allergic to peanuts?
I'm not worried about Yulia.....I don't believe half of what she says anyway. ;)

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
Trina said:
Believe me, I felt the same way, but at some point it's necessary for the sake of their health. (Oh God, yulia is going to jump all over this. :rolleyes:) The first time DS went through testing was after his first anaphylactic shock, which almost killed him. We had to pin point what the allergen was so that we could avoid it. Later both kids developed asthma. Again, we had to find out what they were allergic to so that we could take the proper precautions.
so true!!! I hate unneeded medica intervention, but that was needed!!! I hated to have Nichole tested for EVERYTHING, i Htes all the blood they kept drawing and the such especially since it turns out as long as we use bottled water she is fine. So it was uneeded, but it was needed at the time so i don't regret it

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
musicmom said:
So yours ended up allergic to peanuts?
I'm not worried about Yulia.....I don't believe half of what she says anyway. ;)
DS is severely allergic to tree nuts (pistachios, almonds, cashews, macadamia nuts, walnuts, etc.), but he's not allergic to peanuts. Technically, peanuts aren't nuts at all. They're legumes. He's also allergic to cats, but that allergy is manageable.

DD is severely allergic to peanuts and tree nuts. She's also allergic to dogs and tree pollen. After the testing it all made sense as to why her asthma tended to flare in the spring and/or when we visited friends or relatives with a dog.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I guess I am going to keep a note book on when she gets this and keep a journal of what she's eating.
Can a child just get an allergy out of the blue that she's never had before?

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
musicmom said:
I guess I am going to keep a note book on when she gets this and keep a journal of what she's eating.
Can a child just get an allergy out of the blue that she's never had before?
for sure...they can pop up at anytime. You have to be exposed to something once before your body will even react to the allergy