Food...

chinnu

Mar 28, 2010
My son is lean & thin but active and he isn't eating well either.
However when anything suitable and interesting such as chocolates are provided he just grabs them to eat.
I would like to know if there are any products that tastes good for children and imparts enough strength as well to look chubby?

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
that sounds like you want your son to be more chubby? i will assume I'm wrong though and you just want healthy alternatives to fatty foods? i like Vegie chips and i feed them to Felix and he eats them happily and they have less saturated fats than regular chips and are made of Vegetables other than Potato as regular chips are.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I'm guessing chubby isn't the word you wanted so much as you want him to "bulk up more? (ie not be so thin?)

I think the part where you said he doesn't eat well is the key, you need to get him eating well whether it tastes good or not, or he'll be in a world or hurt someday.

Before recommending any particular foods to build him up, it'd be really important to know how old.....

chinnu

Mar 28, 2010
My son is forty months old(weighing around 28 pounds).
As mentioned by one of moderators, I want him to bulk up more as he looks very thin.
I would like to know about the foods that should be interesting to the child and at the same time bulk him up more so as to not look so thin.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
IMHO

If he is getting the proper nutrients I would be cautious adjusting his diet for his appearance. If the doctor say he is OK then he is OK. My answer would be different if the post was less about looks and more about health. There are healthy foods that will "bulk him up" But I fear a dietary rollercoster if he likes them and then you need to thin him down.

Not trying to make you mad. I just think there is a major difference between doing this out of a health concern and doing it because of how he should look.

Especially at that age I would rather you take the advise of a doctor or dietitian than me.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
ya know a lot of kids go through phases as they grown, they'll look a little thin, they'll look a little chunky, I think the best thing you can do is try to be sure he's getting reasonably lean protein (which along with exercise will build muscle) and enough fruits and vegetables. to be healthy. If he's not eating those then he's going to have trouble building the frame to build a body on as well as the habits to support it in the future.

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
can't give ya a whole lot but try some healthy dips--cheese, or peanut butter, and danimals (yogurt smoothies).
Danimals
maybe even some yogurt cereal bars and dried fruit mixes. my girls love junk food but they love the good stuff too as much as they love the junk food. at times they'd rather have the yogurts, cereal bars and fruit and veggies sticks/dip than the junk. that stuff has helped my oldest to catch up with her sister since her tonsils were removed.

imstig

Apr 23, 2010
Vancouver
I give my son pediasure atleast every other day to make sure he gets enought vitamins and minerals he needs. They are diet supplements and helps children get the appetite they need. Ever since, I started doing this my son has been trying different kinds of veggies and fruits.

chinnu

Mar 28, 2010
I have heard of "pediasure" but not certain if I can use it for kids. Does it have any side effects? Is it recommended to children of age 3 yrs and above. Just wanted to make sure if it is healthy before going for it?(It would be helpful if you provide me useful links along with your suggestions)

Homega Man

Apr 15, 2010
I have a 2 yr old and have found that preference for food has a lot to do with what it looks like. For example she loves apple slices, but won't touch apple sauce because it looks weird to her. I would suggest just try a variety of foods, trial and error?

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
imstig said:
I give my son pediasure atleast every other day to make sure he gets enought vitamins and minerals he needs. They are diet supplements and helps children get the appetite they need. Ever since, I started doing this my son has been trying different kinds of veggies and fruits.
You might as well give him a bag of sugar every other day, there are 23g of sugar in 8oz of it.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
hmmm, by my calc it 33.5 g, but that's hardly a "bag" it's is 8 teaspoons though. So, I think as long as people use it correctly (i.e. not trying to replace 3 meals a day) and realize the amount of sugar they are giving, then I don't have a problem with it. I mean by comparison 8 oz of apple juice has 28 g...and I don't think many people would gasp and tell you never to give apple juice. Just be aware of the amount of sugar you are feeding...sugar's not bad, too much sugar is bad.

and they did say he's trying more foods, so it sounds like a temporary measure.

(oh, and the rest of the info is that the sugar they use is HFCS...so depending on your views of that product...just saying that's what's in there.)

flores16

May 7, 2010
My godson is very active as well and sometimes I think he actually over-eats! But he is not heavy either. Maybe its the type of food a kid eats that makes them "not so healthy". Introduce veggie snacks. My godson loves cherry tomatoes and thinks baby carrots are the bomb!

jallardyce

Banned
Jul 13, 2010
We have always called yummy fruit natures candy, my son wants that more than chocolate. Think strawberries, blueberries, cherries etc.
Good luck

Christine

Aug 6, 2010
What's pediasure, please?
So do I think it's just some phase of his life. Hasn't it ever happened to you before? By the way how are you getting on now?
And your son is sure eats something at least but chocolates and candies, does he? If it's so I suppose it's not a problem he doesn't eat vegetables or meat or something else. My DD is 2 and she hates vegetables and I don't care if she doesn't need it. Some day she will start eating them for sure.
You can also try to make food look nice. To serve potato with vegetables as a dog's face. There's lots of sitesthere.
And the last one. Don't strain your nerves. Your DS looks as he should look if you just don't spoil his health by constant hamburgers or smth. else ^) My DD overweights and I dont's care, cause I looked the same at my age. And now I'm slim. And my friend's DD is also lean and thin, cuase her mother is lean and small. Good luck