For the Homeschoolers!...

ivybendorf

PF Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2008
Oklahoma
There has been a lot of debate about homeschooling here lately, and I thought I would encourage that with some homeschooling questions. :p

I plan on homeschooling my children, and I have noticed two things. My daughter tends to grasp concepts better when she is left to her own devices to figure them out. My son is very quick, on the other hand, when things are shown and explained. They are both very intelligent, to my dismay sometimes!, but they learn completely differently. DS is also very attracted to music, while DD is more interested in drawing/painting/stickers/ (sound vs visual).

What would my best approaches be for each child? (I love the fact that I can cater to their strengths rather than providing the same thing for each child!)

For now, I encourage my daughter to ask 'why", and encourage her to try things herself. She usually jumps right in a has it figured out quickly, or her own variation; she is very creative! With my son, I walk him through things once then let him try. Even at 1 yr, he will give me a look that says, "explain that again?". When he understands he jumps right in!

What strategies do you use with your children?

anyavanr

Apr 22, 2008
It all depends on your child as you say. My little boy (Quihan) is attracted to music and visual stimulation. I'm still trying to figure out what his strengths are when it comes to this.

When I stimulate him visually, I always make sure that he is actually trying to concentrate. You must have your child's full attention before you try to teach them something. He does understand playtime and study time, although study time is also a type of game to him. He enjoys it very much.

When I use music for stimulation, he is very attracted to it. He loves dancing and clapping hands to the beat of the music and enjoys playing a whole lot more when there's music around. I often use music to calm him down and to get him to concentrate when he's too active (busy).

This is actually quite a broad question and I would like to see what all the other mommies and daddies answer on it.

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
I'm still starting out myself so I don't know if my advice is going to be very helpful. I've also noticed that both my children seem to learn differently. I believe in practical teaching or showing a practical use for what you're teaching them to help retain knowledge. Also playing to their strengths, (you're their mom, you know them best) is a good idea. Children are always learning so I also believe in talking to your children about things that are happening or objects they see. When I'd go for a walk with my oldest daughter I always used to talk about the scenery during our walk. As you teach them, you'll learn how to teach them better. Asking for advice is always good but don't be too worried about it I'm sure you'll do a good job. Cheers and lots of luck to you.

Lisay

May 19, 2008
<LEFT>
<LEFT>
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']I have homeschooled my little yvonne for about a year. I notice that when studing, my yvonne is always too easy as there is no other students to compete with her. Since this year, she began doing some little math and reading exercises on beestar.org. These exercise are timed so my yvonne can concentrate. To obtain the ribands and get upon the honour roll, she now always works hard. Children are always emulative. A little pressure can make them go ahead efficiently. Fighting! [/FONT]
</LEFT>
<LEFT>
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Lisay[/FONT]
</LEFT>​
</LEFT>

Lisay

May 19, 2008
<LEFT>
<LEFT>
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']I have homeschooled my little yvonne for about a year. I notice that when studing, my yvonne is always too easy as there is no other students to compete with her. Since this year, she began doing some little math and reading exercises on beestar.org. These exercise are timed so my yvonne can concentrate. To obtain the ribands and get upon the honour roll, she now always works hard. Children are always emulative. A little pressure can make them go ahead efficiently. Fighting! :D [/FONT]
</LEFT>
<LEFT>
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Lisay[/FONT]
</LEFT>​
</LEFT>